Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Clear Coat?

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2373 times

Old 06-06-2002, 05:07:40 PM
Ron

Default Clear Coat?

I have something that I need to Clear coat and what it to be glossy. I am not sure if the surface that I am going to put it on is enamal or laquer. Any suggestion as to what to use?? I would also prefer to buy it in an aerosal can.

Thanks Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2002, 05:29:30 PM
David M. Lyon

Default Re: Clear Coat?

I have never had much luck trying to spray clear over ANYTHING that has already been painted and cured for a while, It just doesn't stay very long because it can't bind to the color coat. You can't sand the color because the sand scratches will eventually show, I would try to soften the base with some 3919s DuPont just before spraying on the clear enamel. I really recomend you experiment on another piece, or on the underside of whatever you are going to spray before you accidently ruin the finish. Usually with a basecoat/clearcoat system, you spray the clear on top of the color as a finish coat and they cure and bind together. .....Just some of my observations.... I'm afraid it's not much help!

David M.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:43:14 PM
DAVID M. LYON

Default CORRECTION !

Not 3919.....should have said 3812S enamel reducer.....Sorry about that.

David M.