Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

westinghouse light plant

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2744 times

Old 10-01-2003, 08:19:26 PM
tim rostar

Default westinghouse light plant

I have a type E model 60 westinghouse power plant and id like to get some input on it. I was told it ran and so far it seems the camshaft is draging and i hope it will loosen and i keep rocking the crank and inching forward in the clockwise direction and its getting a little better.Is it a no no to turn it backward because i think theres a worm gear set up.Is this the same unit as a delco and should i use a buzz coil or a coil condensor to run it because im not going to hook a 32 volt battery up to it.And will it hert the generator to run it with no batteries..well it seems to be all there except for a top cover on the electrical box .hope to get it going......tim
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2003, 10:29:05 PM
greg mcvay

Default Re: westinghouse light plant

hello tim, normally it shouldnt hurt to rotate this unit backward. it is a worm type gear on the crank that turns the cam shaft. If the push rod seats are up the cam shaft should come out the side by taking the the plate off thats behind the timer if the timer is still there. these are smooth runing machines good luck.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at plainhost.com. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. user is over quota.

Thanks greg and ive got a manuel coming from delco don.Id like to ask you if when your machine is at tdc and you rock the fly wheel back and forth does your valves take turns opening and closing ive always thought thats the way it should be but mine d oes this a couple degrees off tdc.....tim
Old 10-01-2003, 11:04:08 PM
Don C. Wiley

Tim;

It is not like a Delco-Light. The cam gear is a worm,I have two plants like yours and both cam gears are striped, as well as the gear on the crankshaft. Be very carefull with turning it over hoping to get it freed up. I would suggest that you take the crankshaft out before you strip the gears.

The camshaft is a whole 'nother story. The "pot metal" bearing and back plate for the points tends to "grow" and I couldn't get mine out of the crankcase housing with out getting my Dremel tool in there and grinding about an 1/8" off all around. When you get the crankshaft out lubricate the camshaft bearings and see if you can get them to free up. If it turns free DON'T take it out.

I would make sure the comutator is clean and smooth and the brushes are free to work in their holders. It would be wise to attach a 32 volt battery to the unit before trying to start it. Three 12 volt (series for 36V) car batteries will work but two 12's and an 8 works better. 8 volt batteries can be bought at most farm supply stores. These must be hooked in series to obtain the 32 volts needed.

As far as the ignition coil it should be in the control box. The attached picture shows it in the upper left hand corner. The round spot in the middle of the coil is where the spark plug wire attaches. I haven't had the time to work on mine any more so I don't know how all that works but they usually have a voltage droping resistor hooked to the coil to lower the 32 volts to the coil opperating voltage.

Take your time and don't take any short cuts or you might be looking for some new gears which are next to impossible to find, or at least that's what I found out.

Good luck.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois

Old 10-09-2003, 08:55:13 PM
greg mcvay

hey guys, I think unlike a delco if you check the ohms on the westinghouse coil it is wound for 32 volts. what I do see missing in your picture Don is a small square box mounted inside the controll box that I think is a condensor. I have one of these units . that large flywheel and long piston stroke makes this a very smooth runing plant

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at plainhost.com. I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out. user is over quota.

Thanks greg and ive got a manual coming from delco don.Id like to ask you if when your machine is at tdc and you rock the fly wheel back and forth does your valves take turns opening and closing ive always thought thats the way it should be but mine d oes this a couple degrees off tdc.....tim
Old 10-15-2003, 11:37:07 PM
greg mcvay

Tim, I thank thats ok look to see if it wants to fire a little before top dead on compression stroke. ...Greg
Old 12-03-2004, 09:26:40 AM
Manie Cronje

Post Re: westinghouse light plant

Hi Guys,
I also have a Westinghouse Type E Model 60, but cannort find an owner's manual for it anywhere. Could any af you provide me with such a manual or point me to where I can find one. The set I have is complete and loose and was told that it was running before it was decommissioned. Please help.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:35:52 AM
Registered

If you are fighting with a swolen pot metal bearing in an iron or bronze casting just use a hypodermic syringe to squirt muriatic (hydrochloric)acid into the oil hole (WEAR GLOVES AND EYE PROTECTION) The acid will dissolve bith the zinc and the aluminum in the alloy and you cam will be freed.