Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Alpha DeLaval 3 hp

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1383 times

Old 04-04-2016, 11:45:47 PM
Registered

Default Alpha DeLaval 3 hp

This is my first small engine and I know nothing about how it really works. It was in a drive shed and I went there to pick up a wood lathe. Apparently it had many uses and drove the wood lathe as well.The cart was sunk in the ground up to the wood base on the cart. It obviously has not run in a long time... So got it home and in the workshop tonight and cleaned it up , removed the mouse nest, fixed the leaky tank , made a new gasket for the sparker on the head( If that what you call it) fixed oiler , new grease in grease cups, added gas.
Figured out what direction to turn it , rolled it over and it started!
Fine tuning to be done now , and fix up the cart a bit!
So can anyone help me with the DeLaval Alpha?? Where do I find out about them??

I have some questions about the engine as I learn how it works.

I have a 37 1/2 hp Fairbanks YV that is my real Passion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-04 09.10.51.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	250753   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-04 14.25.59.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	250754   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-04 21.33.44.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	250755  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 48bomber For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2016, 08:38:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,475 Posts
Default Re: ALPA DeLaval 3 hp

I know that was made by Lauson and are nice sweet runners and coast a long time and slow and smooth when things are right. And you got the mag too! I missed a nice 5hp? Last year when I was at a show, and, out of service area on my IC and couldn't pull the picture up right, got home and was sold already..NICE engine!!

Last edited by Rich Mueller Sr; 04-05-2016 at 02:45:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Mueller Sr For This Post:
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41:15 AM
Registered

They were made by the John Lauson company in New Holestine Wi. They are a very well built engine. Your engine is basically a Lauson. Your engine is probably from the teens. Hope this helps. I Am sure mothers will chime in here. Arlie
Old 04-05-2016, 11:12:33 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,336 Times in 516 Posts

Be careful with your ignitor [sparker], i don't think it uses a gasket, think it is a tapered seat. Many have been broken by tightening too much. skip
Old 04-05-2016, 11:24:09 AM
Subscriber

Very nice find 48Bomber. Nice it started so good for you! Good Luck.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:42:41 PM
Registered

So that interesting guys! The DeLaval and the Peterboro on the tag was just a 1/2 hour from here. It was a huge plant that apparently made lots if things. The Lawson must have supplied under there name?? What is ALPA on the triangle tags?? I have the serial number , Is there any records that are still available??

---------- Post added at 07:42:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Landis View Post
Be careful with your ignitor [sparker], i don't think it uses a gasket, think it is a tapered seat. Many have been broken by tightening too much. skip
I wondered that when I took it off. It had a small shoulder on it as you say. It had a gasket so I put another on iit. I will see how it fits without it.
Simple but important! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:12:05 PM
Registered

Evening # 2!!
So learning lots on how to get this engine started with a bit less effort!
Decompression valve open
Oil, grease , oiler on
Choke on full,
Fuel knob 1 turn on,
Roll over a few times priming cylinder till a fire comes from decompression valve.
Close decompression valve,
Choke 1/4
Roll over and get past compression.
Likely will fire,
Open choke
Let her go to Governed rpm , WATCH WITHOUT SMILES! (NOT)

Modern engine.... turn a key! Not as much fun!!

So tonight's questions .
Pictures :
#1 is a 3 position small lever on the spark trip rod
#2 is a knob behind the flywheel that adjusts the stop lever for the exhaust rod
#3 is the governor springs

So the engine is running about 400 rpm . ( tag says 425 I think) It is firing constantly and not free wheeling hardly at all. So how do I figure out how to slow it down and free wheel for display. When should the timing lever in picture #1 be used?
The governor keeps the engine at a very constant rpm. I put some pressure on the flywheels with a short piece of belt and she just goes ! Snap , Snap , Snap! And keeps the same rpm.
If you turn the fuel down to starve it a bit it runs poorly , so I am assuming its in the 3 adjustments ? settings in the picture.

Sorry If I am asking stupid questions , but this small stuff is new to me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-05 20.38.46.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	250840   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-05 20.38.57.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	250841   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-05 20.39.08.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	250842  
Old 04-05-2016, 10:38:48 PM
Subscriber

Using lighter springs on the governor weights is the easiest way to slow it down
Old 04-06-2016, 08:24:08 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Alpha DeLaval 3 hp

Since you say you're firing constantly, and not running away, it sounds like you have a very weak power stroke. Could be ignition timing too late, or poor fuel. I'm not familiar with this particular engine, so I'll give you some general things to check.

First off, make sure the governor weights can swing out and cause the latch out of the push rod, this action causes the coasting between firings. Once you get a decent power stroke, we don't want the engine to run away.

Next, I presume the lever on the ignition push rod alters the timing for starting and running. Check ignitor tripping position in relation to the crank throw in the various positions. The ignitor should trip about TDC (top dead center) when starting to prevent kickback, and should be moved to a running position after the engine gets going to fire a few degrees BTDC (before TDC). Check the lever operation and how it alters the timing while slowly rolling the engine over.

The next poor power stroke problem that comes to mind has to do with proper fueling. I can't tell from the pictures where your fuel tank is, but I am presuming it is a suction feed from a fuel tank below the mixer. If so, there needs to be a gravity check valve in the suction line somewhere to keep the fuel line full. On later Lausons/Alphas, the check ball was in the fitting at the mixer, but it could be anywhere in the fuel line. Main point is it needs to have a proper functioning check valve in a suction fuel line to keep the line full. It could be that the engine is firing poorly because it has to keep trying to pull fuel up the line.

Check these things out and let us know if it help. Once you get the engine firing decently, you can start playing with the latch out speed adjustment screw and lighter governor springs to slow it down some.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 04-06-2016, 08:49:39 AM
Registered

So thanks so much!
The governor moves but the springs are adjusted tight and does not move out much easily. I will loosen a bit and tryThe whole thing is moving well and not worn or any play in it.
The tank is under it and it has a small ball check valve in the line before the mixer. When choke the gas flows freely everywhere. When in run position the needle valve can be adjusted with no extra dripping out. The ball check when you take off the top has a single ball that seals nicely. When I had it all off for cleaning air flows only towards the mixer. I wondered if it should have has a small spring above the valve ball? it looks machined for one??
will read your timing of the igniter a few times to check it on the engine! TTC BDC !!
I don't have a picture of this area yet to post , but can do tonight!

This is fun , and thanks so much everyone !!!
Old 04-06-2016, 11:01:52 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48bomber View Post
I wondered if it should have has a small spring above the valve ball? it looks machined for one??
There should not be a spring over the check ball, the weight of the ball alone should seal the line when it is down.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScooterBob For This Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 09:17:28 PM
Registered

Thanks! I had a look at another ball check and it has no spring either. Another question answered!!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:14:34 PM
Subscriber

The knob behind the flywheel is to adjust speed of engine. This knob adjusts the latch out lever clearance to exhaust pushrod. Note closer the clearance the slower the engine will run. This adjustment is good for about 75 to 100 rpm change. Changing the governor springs will give more rpm change. Ignitor should trip 20 to 30 degrees BTDC. Depends on engine speed. The lever by the ignitor is timing adjustment. Please note the ignitor is timed to the mag. If you change the ignitor timing to much the engine may not start or run on the mag. Good luck a John Lauson owner