So I picked up a Briggs FH a couple of years ago and finally got it done, and thought I would share the journey. It started as Ebay find that looked very promising and seemed like it would be a pretty easy restoration. NOT! I suppose it could have been worse but at least all the internals where in very good shape, excellent compression and very little wear. But that's where the easy part ended and the fun began! The carburetor throttle shaft's where worn very badly, fuel tank all gunked up, the whole governor housing and assembly was missing, no spark of course, and the pedal starter assembly was a mix bag of non matching parts, and thenI later find the tapers on both ends of the crank are worn badly and caused the flywheel and governor housing to run way out of true! So first off I welded up the crank ends and cut new tapers so that everything ran true again with the tapers. Then I did a JB weld repair with the carb shafts and then riveted the carb back together. On this I posted some of the progress here https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164917
on the Stak.
And of course the fuel pick up screen was gunked up and torn so instead of replacing the whole pick-up tube, I made a ring that would hold a new piece of filter screen in place. Worked out great. Then it was on to the ignition. I ended up finding the lead wire going to the high voltage side of the coil corroded so I was able to carefully peel back the first layer of insulating lamination and weld on a new leader wire. I also have a separate thread here https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166468
on the Stak of the ignition coil repair. And believe it or not the original Capacitor was still good! I have a true capacitor tester. Then of course it was time to source some parts, like the governor housing and all the parts and pieces the go with it. Then came the real challenge which I thought was gonna be easy, and that was finding a early FH clock spring recoil assembly. Apparently the early style people don't have laying around, and I wanted to use the original starter lever that has the ratchet sprocket guard cast into it. So being impatient that I am, I made my own spring holder and washers. It's not exactly like the original because the original is riveted together and the outer washer where the cotter key goes is recessed. But hey, it works for me. For paint and finishing, all the parts where sand blasted, primer'd, and painted with good ole rattle can "Tractor and Implement" Black spray paint. On the housing for the rust pitting I used automotive glaze and spot filler, primer'd, then painted two coats of black. Wet sanded with 400 grit and then painted the final coat. Overall it turned out very nice! Not perfect but nice. And for the best part, it runs great! None of that "rich" studder like you see on a lot of other Fh's.