Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs 446777 Engine, Low Oil Shut Off

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 3055 times

Old 10-01-2017, 06:56:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs 446777 Engine, Low Oil Shut Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
Mr plug I am too tired at this point to debate this any longer today, but I ask you this. If it was a oil pressure or lack of oil, why did the other rod not suffer from the same?
Why does a V8 not spin all of its rod bearings simultaneously? Because there are always differences in oiling between rods, different levels of fit, different levels of wear. Maybe the oil flow was restricted to only one rod. Maybe foreign material partially restricted oil flow, then once aluminum started smearing around the journal it got worse.

Now your turn. If it was a fatigue break, why did aluminum transfer to the crank? If your theory is correct, the bearing surface of the rod should not be shedding aluminum.

I'm not the only one saying this. You've heard from two professionals in small engine repair, and both say the same thing. The photos leave no doubt to someone trained in failure analysis.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

Now that I have some time to think, The rod started seizing to the crank,and the rod failed and broke due to the extra stress placed on it. The other rod was not quite as bad nor was as much metal to be removed from the crankshaft.
It is getting 2 rods,2 pistons.Allthough 1 piston is ok,I think it would be best to replace both since I want new rings as well. If it went low in oil, the oil had to go somewhere. It would seem I should have been mowing in a blue haze if it was burning oil really bad?
I posted the info from the Everide Hornet manual in regards to the oil..Synthetic, well, that explains alot, well it will get 30 w castrol from now on.. I do know for a fact i change it alot more often than they recommend.I have always thought oil was cheaper than engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00047.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	292704   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00049.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	292705  
Old 10-02-2017, 06:45:57 AM
Registered

Thanks Blue, now we know the damage wasn't confined to just one rod. Looks like low oil, and improper weight oil, are to blame. This info verifies the conclusions reached from studying your photos of the damage.

30w will do you fine above 40 degrees, as your book shows.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:58:43 PM
Subscriber

thank,I am getting agitated, the listing for pistons says a pair.But when I clic buy it now, it no longer says a pair in the listing title. Does not seem to be any after market parts for this engine except the gaskets.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:05:01 PM
Registered

I'm not surprised. I think you will be limited to buying genuine Briggs in this case.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:22:51 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdstew View Post
Above 40 degrees use nothing but #30 high detergent oil. Winter ( snow blower, log splitter, etc ) use 10W-30. B & S just in the last several years approved 10W-30 synthetic for year round. We saw lots of the older twins, either blown up or the valve seat popped out, every one was using multi viscosity oil.
Multi grade oils use polymers as thickening agents. I want to lubricate my engines with oil...not polymers.

I run 30W oil in everything.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:07:24 PM
Registered

I will add my two cents worth. Discolor of broken rod shows lack of oil. Just because it broke as you were using it doesn't mean it just happened. It could have been something that started many uses ago. Could have ben run to long on a slope, could have been from low oil or heat build up.. Briggs will tell you if you use 10W30 oil the engine will use more oil. I remember going to a Kohler service school years ago and the topic of diesel rated oil came up. It seems some company that had a lot of diesel equipment was using diesel rated oil in some new Kohler engines and it was so slick that the rings were not seating. For my money the best oil is what the engine manufacturers recommends. I would go a step further and say to use Briggs oil in Briggs, Kohler oil in Kohler and so on. Even if you can buy oil cheaper or an oil that is highly rated in automobiles, you will know you have what is recommended. Why does one rod let go and the other seems to be ok. These small engines do not have a high output oil pump, It may have been run low on oil and the pump could only supply enough oil to lubricate the first rod. Also look at the top bearing of the crankshaft as this will usually show on low oil problems. The life of these small engines is keeping the oil clean, changing as needed, keeping the air flow clean, mice nests,leaves and trash in fin area. An engine that looses a rod at 3200 RPM is going to break the rod in many pieces, but the color should show where the problem was. Be sure to check the other rod for any problems as well as checking heads for valve guides that may have moved. In other words, don't jus throw and new rod in it and hope for the best.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:32:31 AM
Subscriber

It is getting 2 rods. I checked the top and bottom of the crank and block-crankcase,no marks at all.It will be getting 30w from now on.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02:14 PM
Subscriber

Well it runs! I mowed about 100 feet of grass with it at 9:15 pm tonight!
I aint run it but about 5 minutes 4 different times,breaking it in slow.
Seems to have more wheaties than it did for sure.
It got 2 new pistons,rods,gaskets and oil seals. A little over 250 bucks worth of parts. I coulda got in a hurry and finished it the other day but I took my time and worked on it a little once in a while to try not to make mistakes.
Now,it has 30 wt oil it and a Wix oil filter. I plan to change it after about 2 hours run time as if I was changing break in oil on a new engine..
I mow a yard for a lady that has a embankment along her drive way.It takes 4 passes to cut the grass.It would be difficult to mow it in the other direction as in up and down that short stretch as there is a ditch on 1 side I would fall in probably.
I have read here about being on a slope could have caused this? Is that if the machine was low in oil or is that possible problem at all. the machine does not slip on the slope.I don't know a "angle" to compare it to,I would say a 25 degree angle?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:13:43 PM
Registered

Glad you took your time and got it running. Be sure to keep the oil on the full mark or a little above. But not much over as if you get to much oil the internal parts will whip the oil and it will turn to foam and not lubricate correctly. I think the engine will run at a steeper sloop on one side due to baffling and where the oil pick up for the pump is but don't know which side it is off hand. How long is the slope you are cutting? If it is less then 100 feet, I don't think you will have anything to worry about as long as you keep the oil to the full mark when engine is level.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:22:06 AM
Subscriber

about 150 ft. I mow it in both directions so the machine is running both ways at a angle.
I mowed a half acre yesterday and it used some oil.But there was NO smoke,no leaks. Strange.
If it uses oil I will just check it each use I guess. If the rings weren't seated I can understand some usage.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39:06 PM
Registered

It will use a little oil every time until it warms up to operating temperature. That aluminum really expands! Check the oil every time you start it up!
Old 12-07-2017, 07:13:15 PM
Subscriber

Well It had about 3.5 hours on it so i changed break in oil today just so I would know it was done and not forget about it. I must say,the engine seems to have more power than it ever did.Plows right thru leaves and stuff that last year it would bog down and I would have slow down.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:11:51 PM
Subscriber

All summer this machine has given little problems at all until a couple weeks ago.It is hard to start as in does not want to turn over easy even with a jumpstart, and seems to be missing on 1 cylinder.it runs on it but not as well as the other.. I wound up taking something else and later that day it fired right up when it was warmer.
Will the straight 30 wieght oil affect starting in cold weather that noticably?
I am thinking of replacing plugs first for the skip and then check valve clearances,if that aint the problem,then the coils.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:25:19 PM
Subscriber

Well I have the machine in the shop and I have the shroud off.I took the kill wires loose from the coils and it runs equally well on each cylinder with 1 spark plug unhooked. Near equal compression, new plugs.
So I thought,"well diodes will fix this!"
Well I have got to where I recheck behind myself and I decided to remove the heat shrink and check the diodes. They both test good. So Hum. Not to sure of myself here.
I had already decided to clean the carb again but once i pulled those kill wires and it runs correctly, I knew the issue must be in the ignition cut off system somewhere.
So question is, And I should know this but I am asking for knowledge,can a diode be bad intermitantly?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:16:57 PM
Subscriber

Well putting in new diodes did NOT change anything. I just went and checked the low oil switch,unhooked it with the kill wires connected,no change,does not run on but 1 cylinder until the kill wires are unhooked.
I replaced the tiny 1 amp diodes with much larger diodes and put a much larger peice of heat shrink around everything.But it will not run on both with the kill hooked up. I have a diagram here and of course the kill wire goes thru the lever safety switches, pto switch,and key switch.BUT it is just 1 wire.I can't see how even if there was a short in the kill circut how it would only kill 1 coil.
So I am leaning towards bad coil.I will be cleaning the carb also just for good measure.

Last edited by uglyblue66; 02-16-2019 at 03:45:41 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:46:25 AM
Subscriber

Sheesh,I am about to pull hairs.
I literally last night ran a kill wire from each coil out from the engine, using the factory kill wire with it's diodes I took a test lead and with the engine running, the right coil when touched to it's diode lead on the kill wire continued to work,engine ran on both cylinders.
But when I touched the kill wire from the left coil to it's diode lead it would be connected to,it killed the cylinder with the key switch on and running.Diodes I installed are testing good.

Years ago,I remember working on a engine and I replaced it's diodes and all went well.
I keep looking at factory harness's on ebay and such and I have the diodes wired correctly. White band on coil side of kill wire.
Why would the 1 cylinder be affected and not the other 1?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:17:49 PM
Subscriber

I think i just need to go back to playing with Tinker Toys, or maby get those Lincoln Logs I always wanted as a kid.
I went over this engine nad watched the valves open and shut to make sure the distance was the same,checked compression,cleaned the carb,tried new coils and on and etc.
But once I went as far as my feeble mind would go I called a friend and he went over alot of the same stuff I did.BUt,I decided,well the problem is within this small area, so let me go around again.
I admit,I did not check the valves the first time around with a feeler gauge.I should have. The exhaust valve was to tight on the cylinder that was missing.
Fixed that and all was well. SO I repaired the diode wiring and all that and it runs fine.
so like i said,I think it is time to back to something simple like my Tinker Toys.I aint no mechanic anymore,I have lost the touch.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:55:13 PM
Registered

When we had a problem engine in for repair, we did the easy or "probably", stuff first. If that did not fix it, we dumped it apart. Check and put back together one piece at a time. Usually a stupid problem or two were found and all was well when back together.
Once had a new engine that used oil and smoked. Checked breather, valves, dipstick, everything "possible". Found that behind the oil ring, the holes in the piston were not machined out, trapping excess oil! Without going inside, we could have spent a lot of time on that one.