Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs and Stratton 9hp on small Hale pump

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 688 times

Old 01-03-2019, 01:44:57 AM
Registered

Default Briggs and Stratton 9hp on small Hale pump

I've bought a fire engine and it has two pumps, one a PTO driven Hale centrifugal pump, and a small Hale 15FC-B23 which is driven by a B&S engine.

There is enough label left on the engine that I can read 9HP @ 3600. This small pump is mounted inside a compartment and I've not been able to find the data plate to confirm the model # of the engine. I believe it is a Model 23A.

The truck is a 1958, but paperwork I got with it suggests this small pump was added to the truck between 1963 and 1967.

Unfortunately the truck has been neglected and left out in the elements for at least 10 years. This little pump at least had the shelter of the truck body to protect it, but it has obviously been there done that.

My hope is to clean it up, get it running.

I guess my questions would be to verify that I'm dealing with a 23A, and to find out what parts availability it like for these things.

Thanks, and hey 2 posts in 4 years, go me.

I'll try to get better about that...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2019, 09:36:51 AM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton 9hp on small Hale pump

The B&S numbers may be stamped into the flywheel shroud on the side by the air cleaner, or on the front of the shroud, or on the side of the shroud on the rounded area, or at the flat surface of the shroud near the sparkplug.

Depending on the year, the numbers were stamped in various locations, but most likely somewhere on the shroud. ...Earlier models had a nameplate riveted to the cylinder baffle where your existing decal is located.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,274 Times in 696 Posts

I thought the pump is running backwards but I think there is a gear case between the engine and pump.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:09:10 PM
Registered

Hale is still in business.
A phone call might save you the aggravation of rummaging in that cramped compartment.
https://www.haleproducts.com/resource-center/
Old 01-03-2019, 02:58:25 PM
Registered

I have some documentation on a Hale 15FC which says B&S Model 23A, but things change so I didn't want to assume this spec sheet from 1969 is accurate for an earlier pump. I also have an operators guide for the pump that came with the truck, but it makes no reference to the attached engine.

Yes there is a gearbox between the pump and the engine.

I have no intention of trying to work on this pump in the compartment.

I already have an email into Hale to try and get information on both this and the PTO pump.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07:26 PM
Registered

Briggs model 23 engines have 9 head bolts. The type of air cleaner you have on the engine tells me it is about a mid 1960's engine. I have seen many Briggs model 23 engines used with Hale water pumps.

---------- Post added at 07:07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40:59 PM ----------

Check under the flywheel when you get it off. Most Briggs engines have the date cast into the rim of the flywheel. Also, where is the coil / magneto located ? Under the flywheel or on the outside of the flywheel on top of it ?
Old 01-06-2019, 12:02:07 AM
Registered

With the shroud off, look on the underside of the shroud for indications of metal numbers stamped on it. Sometimes on rusty shrouds you can tell where the numbers were stamped and even read some of them on the underside. Sounds like you have a fun project. Good luck.