Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Merc-O-Tronic 98 Ignition Machine - Wiring Schematic?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 647 times

Old 02-01-2019, 09:15:28 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts
Default Merc-O-Tronic 98 Ignition Machine - Wiring Schematic?

Does anyone have a wiring schematic for a Merc-O-Tronic model 98 Ignition testing machine?

I had picked up a new old stock model 98 a couple of years ago. I have put about 2 total hours of use on it and it and it can no longer fire any coil, good or bad. It is also not reading condenser series resistance properly. It does read capacitance properly, albeit nothing else. I have already swapped the Centralab 1.5K ohm 2 watt potentiometers from scale 2-3 and 4&6 over as they are the same part number, with no notable difference in performance. I believe that something is wrong with the transformer in my unit, but I have nothing to compare it to. I carefully disassembled the ignition vibrator and it looks perfect inside. It used to hum very quickly and now it struggles to operate. I have been using an 8 volt external power supply as the internal battery died a long time ago. When the unit last worked it created a ton of electrical noise, and caused the digital display on my power supply to go crazy. I thought the capacitor for the ignition vibrator was bad, but it tested out fine. I am at a loss. This machine was so handy and I thoroughly enjoyed using it. I sent an email off to the defunct company hoping to get a response, but I have not heard anything yet. Does anyone have any experience working on these ignition testing machines? The operators handbook does not cover anything about the actual wiring of the machine.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2019, 07:48:35 AM
Registered

Default Re: Merc-O-Tronic 98 Ignition Machine - Wiring Schematic?

I'm trying to picture it in my head. Not working. Do you have some pics of the unit and serial number?

https://www.google.com/search?source....0.8nNKEJj0C58
Maby this will help you find some info.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:45:37 PM
Subscriber

I sent mine to a Tim Matter in waverly, mn PM me for his details
Old 03-08-2019, 09:39:43 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts

I have not had any luck finding wiring diagrams or in-depth information about my Merc-O-Tronic. All of my emails and calls to the defunct company have not been answered. I contacted Tim Matter in Waverly, MN and he said that he has never worked on one. Striking out with information I began replacing components. I just replaced the original 0.15MFD 400V DC capacitor with a new Panasonic film capacitor and it certainly helped. The amount of electrical noise produced by this unit has vanished, however the unit is still not completing a coil power test, nor able to test the series resistance of a condenser. I plugged the ignition vibrator in, outside of its case, and watched it operate. According to my fluke multimeter, the transformer is feeding the vibrator anywhere from 7.88 to 7.20V DC depending on how much current the machine feeds the coil. My same meter is showing that the ignition vibrator is operating anywhere from 520 to 850hz. The frequency of the vibrator is all over the place. I took a closer look at the ignition vibrator and it turns out that the center piece of spring steel that oscillates back and forth is broken on one side. The spring steel has obviously fatigued with age. I believe this unit use a 6 volt positive ground ignition vibrator but I am not sure. If I could buy a modern ignition vibrator to replace the original Merc 2497635 vibrator, function 1-5 of my unit would be working again. At least I hope that that would be the case. I still have no idea how to troubleshoot why the "Condenser Series Resistance" function #6 does not work. I cannot even get scale 6 to zero out on this function. Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Chris
Old 03-09-2019, 09:37:59 AM
Registered

I have had the same tester since the 1960's. ...When they work, they are the best method of diagnosing faulty magneto coils.

Mine died in the 1990's, and I was told the vibrator was the most common failure and unavailable. ....The company would not provide a schematic.

I learned of an elderly former employee who repaired the Mercs, but at the time he wanted something like $200-$250 for repairs. ...I didn't need the tester for business anymore, so I couldn't justify the expense. ....I'm sure that repairman is now long gone.

A few years ago, I was told the vibrator was also used in car radios, and that 6v, positive ground was used in Fords of the early 1950's.