Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Onan CCKA-MS\2159G convert from 6v to 12v

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 385 times

Old 02-24-2019, 11:19:53 PM
Registered

Default Onan CCKA-MS\2159G convert from 6v to 12v

I searched here but could not find, hence the new thread.

Issue: would like to convert from 6v to 12v

It's my understanding if I change to a 12v coil then all I need to change elsewhere is the condenser to support the 12v. The original 6v condenser is about 175 miles away so I can't just look at it so was trying to find the specs on it online to find a 12v replacement. I may be way off base, so please correct me where I'm wrong or misunderstanding. If I'm on the right track would anyone know how I can go about finding a replacement condenser before I head back to Fayetteville where the engine is in a couple of weeks?

Thank you!
Thomas
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2019, 11:41:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan CCKA-MS\2159G convert from 6v to 12v

You can keep the 6 volt coil on it. Just use a ballast resistor like the cars did so you don't burn up points like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ogrebeast64 For This Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 10:56:48 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Ogre, I am afraid I didn't state my problem and posting reason very clearly. The original 6v coil is hosed and dang expensive to replace. I felt like the cheaper, parts more readily available option was to move to the 12v coil. I went from 24v to 12v on my '52 M38 for a similar reason. I would like nothing better than to keep either one of them in NOS parts but my pockets ain't that deep!

Thank you again!
Thomas
Old 02-27-2019, 08:50:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,671 Times in 959 Posts

ballast resistors are readily avaiable and are cheep and are intended for this very purpose. have the parts man look it up for a 1970 mopar anything. most of the younger parts people dont have a clue what it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 04:22:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

If you are looking for a 12V coil for a twin cylinder engine, then I would suggest a Harley Davidson coil. A quick look on Ebay found a new coil for under $40 with shipping included.
I don't think the condenser is different for 6 or 12 Volts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IGNITION-CO...cAAOSwBkBcD~xJ

I Can Probably Fix That
The Following User Says Thank You to John Newman, Jr. For This Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 05:19:00 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,178 Times in 756 Posts

Does that use a 6V or 12V starting battery? Is/Was there a resistor mounted next or near the old coil?

ADD: By chance, is the ignition system isolated from the start/charge/battery system??
Chances are there is a ballast resistor you can remove from the primary circuit, then install a 12V coil..
If you have a 6V start/charge/battery system, or an isolated magneto ignition, things can get complicated.

Last edited by gnucklehead; 02-27-2019 at 08:04:07 PM. Reason: Add note
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48:37 PM
Registered

Yes sir, it never ceases to amaze me if the computer goes down on the counter some of the younger guys get a little lost at the parts house.
Thank you for the reply, I can tell I am moving in the right direction!

---------- Post added at 10:40:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34:41 PM ----------

John, thank you, a guy by the handle Motorhead had replied with a similar recommendation in my first post on the 'Test' forum. You guys have made it a consensus, I am onboard with that. I will grab one of these! He had mentioned the unlikely need for changing the condenser also, it's a 2'fer, you guys have convinced me.
Thank you!

---------- Post added at 10:48:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40:47 PM ----------

[QUOTE=gnucklehead;1556855]Does that use a 6V or 12V starting battery?

It is a 12v battery

Is/Was there a resistor mounted next or near the old coil?

I did locate a resistor directly behind the coil, on the same bracket as a matter of fact.

You guys have helped me, and my son (it's his buggy we're working on), tremendously!

I am ordering the coil from eBay and pushing forward...now just have to find a decent sub $75 carb rebuild kit. Found one online from Mowers4u but can't get them to answer the phone or reply to emails. I will say that when I rebuilt my Carter WO for the jeep it was worth the extra $ for the OEM kit, great kit and made my old war horse purr like a kitten. Sometimes you just get what you pay for!

Gentlemen, thank you all. My son and I are headed in the right direction!
Thomas
The Following User Says Thank You to tcrozier For This Post:
Old 02-28-2019, 10:48:59 PM
Registered

Big thank you to all you guys for chiming in with all the assistance. I have ordered a set of plug wires, coil and carb kit. Will get to install it in a couple of weeks when I head back to my son's house and get everything back together. I'll definitely post some updates then! This is only the beginning I'm afraid for his buggy but it's great to spend time with him when I can so it's worth it all!