Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Need help with V-belt Clutch

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 961 times

Old 01-07-2019, 12:43:18 PM
Registered

Default Need help with V-belt Clutch

Just finished building a garden tractor. It has a B-section V-belt as a clutch. The clutch pulls hard with no slip and releases fully, but it grabs real hard. Impossible to feather it. Somebody told me that there are special V-belts for this application that slip just a little before fully grabbing. Anybody know more about this, or have another suggestion for making the belt clutch more user friendly?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,942 Posts
Default Re: Need help with V-belt Clutch

Seems the cloth wrapped belts provide smooth engagement, whereas the ones with the raw rubber edge grab harshly.

I have heard that there are indeed belts designed specifically clutching operation, but these may not be necessary in your case since it is basically in or out, no slipping or accelerating a heavy load.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 02:40:22 PM
Subscriber

YEP, try a power equipment belt
Old 01-07-2019, 04:01:14 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Need help with V-belt Clutch

Gates Green Belts - heavy duty, made to give long service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 05:18:49 PM
Subscriber

Yep, if not try a cloth wrapped belt. I have a older Bolens that is gear drive with "belt" clutch. Works great just like it has a normal slip clutch.
The Following User Says Thank You to G.M.Johnson For This Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 09:58:40 PM
Registered

Thanks to all who replied.
The current belt is a fabric wrapped industrial belt.
As a follow-up to the information received here, I see on the Net that outdoor power equipment calls for a different fabric wrap. Blue, or green, or even Kevlar.
Most suppliers that I found stock them by the part number from the manufacturer of the machine they fit. Not good for my home-made tractor. I did find a couple of sources that stock them by belt length, which is what I need. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:21:03 AM
Registered

Go to NAPA. They have a pretty good B series belts. I use one on my Woods RM 59, B-180. Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBrown For This Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:02:29 AM
Registered

you could also try making a slightly oversized but neat fitting cover as used on the Howard Terrier Rotary Hoe. this photo is a bit second rate, nevermind that, zoom in and look at the belt cover hanging from the handlebar. note the extra piece of metal forming an inner flat strip along underneath what is the top edge.

in use the belt is held tight by the overcentre acting idler wheel, which pushes in from the outside underneath, as can be seen down low in front of land wheel, and the belt runs on all 3 pulleys, no friction.
when clutch activated / overcentre wheel is down, the oversized belt expands outwards, especially around the smaller engine pulley, it then rests against the inside of the outer edge of cover, including the inner top flat bit.

when the belt and belt cover are correct, the resting belt then does not touch the engine pulley at all. because of this 'holding free' feature, the gearbox has no idling motion to cause crashing of gears when changing gears. the 'belt-holding' action provides a small but effective clutch-brake action. i have never actually used one, only watched others, but i suspect that this 'holding free' allows the belt to be more smoothly engaged than an 'always-hanging-off-the-pulley' type setup. it also allows a freewheeling engine for startup.
great to hear about a homebuilt machine, best wishes, Rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terriersalbanytony-2016aug26a.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	326055  
The Following User Says Thank You to rodneyt For This Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 01:08:12 PM
Registered

HI rodneyt,
Thanks for pointing out the importance of restraining the belt away form pulley contact in the slack position. I do have restraints in place, and disengagement is 100%. Engagement is the problem. Too sudden. The 7" diameter cast iron pulleys I used may be over-design. Too much friction to allow a little slippage at low torque engagement. I'll polish the pulleys up and install a different belt, as others have suggested. If that fails, I'll need to consider different pulleys.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:12:46 PM
Registered

This is an old thread, but I need to update it out of courtesy to those who helped by replying. Life kind of got in the way of my finishing this project, but it's done now.
The 7" diameter pulleys had a light film of rust on them from storage, so I polished them up on the lathe and reinstalled them. Didn't help the problem.
Next, I installed a new Kevlar wrapped belt designed for clutching. Still no improvement.
Finally, I replaced the 7" drive pulley with a 4" pulley. That allows just enough slippage for smooth engagement, but is still strong enough to transfer the full torque of the 12HP Wisconsin without slipping when fully engaged.
The original set-up was just over-designed.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 10:34:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

I too have a home built tractor. 14 hp Briggs OHV vertical shaft engine. I found that the smaller the pulley on the engine, the better it will fully disengage and more control when engaging.
I have a 4” on the engine and a 12” on the transmission input shaft.
Had to fabricate guides/retainers with 1/4” round rod to keep the belt from falling off when disengaged.

I Can Probably Fix That