Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 6797 times

Old 10-03-2005, 01:47:06 PM
Registered

Question From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Hi all,

I recently gotten my hand on an ďolderĒ Briggs and Stratton engine.
I wonít say itís an antique but its older.
It was in a so so state and the guy tried to fix it (with 2 stroke gas in a 4 stroke engine ).
Then again for 4 bucks (including bringing it to my home) you cant really go wrong.
So it needed a good cleaning in and out and a cleaning of the contact points (was corroded that much it couldnít even move)
The piston and all looked like new. No scratch, corrosion or anything just some running ďdirtĒ.
It needed a new plug and oil (was near dry) but itís now running (ruff because its not yet tuned).
This will be something new because Iím use to restore glow plug engines and 2 stroke moppetís which are very simple compared.

But I canít figure out from when this engine is.
On the cowl are the number 60102.0252.02.6901291.
Ok I know its an ďtypeĒ 60102 but there are that ďkindĒ sins the 1930ís so that wonít help me.
Also the info I found here has a problem. It talks about a 5 or 6 digits serial nr. But I have 7!?
I did get an info PDF that was scanned from a 1976 parts list. But it has a large range of modifications and no dates on it.
So maybe some one can help me with it.

I still fink itís a find for me here (the engine) cause B&S is not common here at all in NL.
Iím dyslexic and English ainít my native so pleas donít flame me on that.

Nork
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motortje1.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	4046   Click image for larger version

Name:	motortje2.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	4047   Click image for larger version

Name:	motortje3.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	4048   Click image for larger version

Name:	motortje4.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	4049  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2005, 04:29:35 PM
Registered

Default Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Before 1965 Briggs used a "Model", "Type", and "Serial Number". After 1965 the "Serial" was replaced by a "Code." The first two numbers of the "Code" are the year the engine was made. There is a list of serial numbers for the cast iron engines that tells the year and month the engine was made, but I don't know of any list for aluminum engines before 1965. The foam air cleaner probably dates the engine as one of the post 1965 ones.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:29:27 PM
Registered

I would say your engine was manufactured in January 29 1969
I have the old Briggs owners manuals and parts lists that should cover
that model in PDF format. They are however in English.
The files are too large to post here but I can e-mail them to you if you think they would be helpful...
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28:38 PM

Thanked 6,765 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Your 2 HP B&S probably came off a trimmer or small reel type mower. If the carb has 4 or 5 small screws holding a plate on the muffler side of the engine, it is a Vacujet carb. It may be that the diaphram under that plate is bad. No screws and plate? then you have a suction jet carb, which has s simple tube and check valve for fuel supply. In either case, remove the screw from the carb that passes thru a 1/2" nut opposite the muffler side of the carb. Then remove the nut itself. Inside the bore of the carb, where the nut was,t there should be a brass screw. Carefully remove it. Clean it and the hole out with carb cleaner. The screw is the main fuel jet for the engine. Replace the jet, just snug, replace the nut, and install the screw, just finger tight. Back off 1 and 1/2 turns, and start the engine. adjust the screw to make the engine run smoothly, and you are good to go! Good luck with it
Andrew
Old 10-04-2005, 05:46:19 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Thanks all for your info,
I already figured some out about the carb. And itís a suction jet carb. The brass screw that you talked about Andrew, looks a lot like the ones in the 2 stork engines I worked on
I didnít get the chance to tune it yet but I probably will try tomorrow. Only thing is I need to make an off switch. I do have the clip of the original but no spring clamp part that needs to be on it so it wonít stay put and rattle agents the sparkplug when Iíll try to start it. Maybe Iíll just wire a screwdriver to the engine and use that to switch it of.
Iíll let you know how it goís. or not goís

NorK
Old 10-05-2005, 11:39:56 PM

Exclamation Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Nork,
in actuality, from your picture, your engine is missing a steel shroud from on top of the head. It is held in place by 4 head bolts, the 3 closest to the flywheel shroud, and 1 between the valves, in a reverse L pattern. This shroud helps direct air over the head, and guides the ignition spark plug wire out from under the flywheel shroud. It also has a small tab that extends almost to the base of the spark plug. This tab is made with a small bend in it, and it serves as the mount for the kill lever. The small bend acts like the spring you mention. Often these tabs straighten out or snap off with metal fatigue. Perhaps a mower dealer might have a parts engine you can get parts from. If not, let me know, and I will look and see if I have one here.
Andrew
Old 10-11-2005, 04:37:06 AM
Registered

Angry Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

I had a little setback. I was trying to tune the B&S when all of a sudden it stopped differently from having too much or to little fuel. Then I fount it wouldnít start and had a feeling something was going wrong. So I took the sparkplug out and found the cylinder wet with fuel. Then I measured the coil and found that I could measure it in all positions of the stroke. Meaning that the contact points are closed.
(I know most people here will understand this without the explanation, but sins there are some that are new to this or use to non-ignition engines like steam (real pretty but way out of my reach) If you wane know how I did ask I will draw it out)
So I guess I need to take the flywheel of again and look why itís not going open anymore. Or if I have bad luck maybe the condensation is busted.

Andrew I guess I will need the PDF on this model cause the one I have of a later is to compiled of different versions. It did help at first but not now I need to really check on details. I did phone ďmyĒ dealer but he has little older stuff. I guess he rather sell new gear then help people keep their old running. (box pushers ). So I will look further but I may need to take your offer there.

Anyway this has me all going I mag get (with some luck) a Samofa Diesel 6HP engine. So yes this is educative
Old 10-11-2005, 10:02:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

Nork,

Here is a picture of my wife's 2 HP Briggs & Stratton on a small Gilson rototiller which shows the additional shroud over the head that Andrew referred to. This engine is model 60102, type 1171-01, code 84120303.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs 60102.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	4205  
Old 10-11-2005, 10:48:51 AM
Registered

Talking Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

YES

I replaced the spring on the breaker points (contact points in the last post was a error on my part cause of thatís what we call them here ) and cleaned/lubricated the little plastic plunger. Now the engine runs nicely but needs about 2 turns open instead of the 1 1/2. But it runs nice only a bit loud with the tiny muffler and it gets warm fast. Missing the shroud causes that I guess.

Now the next ďproblemĒ my fuel tank cap leaks. I donít trust it to run for long because of the fuel that slowly gets out (about the same as the engine uses I guess). After a little while there is a bit of fuel on the welding line of the fuel tank and a wet patch around the cap to the weld. This then slowly starts to drip and with a hot exhaust itís a bit risky.

Maybe I can find a little generator or so I can connect to the pulley so I can let it work
Old 10-11-2005, 07:43:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

I just finished making up a small generator unit using a similar engine. Go to the following link to see it:
Generator Project

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 10-13-2005, 01:08:50 AM

Thumbs up Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Nork,
If the gas is coming out around the edge of the cap, you probably have to replace the gasket under the cap. If it is coming out the vent hole, is the deflecter inside the cap? If it is missing, you will have to replace the cap Some caps had a high dome, and used the gasket as the deflecter. The deflecter is a small tin insert that sits inside the cap, held in place with the cap gasket. The hi dome gasket had 3 pin holes drilled in it, off set of the vent hole in the cap proper.
As for the 2 turns out on the fuel adjustment - the 1 and 1/2 turns out is only a referance point at which to start adjustments. I have worked on several machines that needed 3 full turns! At 2 turns out, you are well within the normal setting range.
If you have no luck finding the top shroud, send me a private message thru the stak, or E Mail me, and also let me know the diameter of the fuel cap, with your snail mail address, and I will see what I can do.
Andrew
Old 10-28-2005, 05:21:30 PM
Registered

Talking Re: From when is this Briggs & Stratton engine?

Sometimes time is funny, slow one month and a another so fast itís the end before you realize it started

Iím having a home improvement on the way en then, My girlfriend got pregnant and there will be 1 more room edit to be done (at least baby proof it cause its already looking nice).

Thanks for the tips Andrew. The gasket is what I think a gasket deflector type. But it may just need a (extra) gasket in there then it may be ok. It probably will be better to mount the engine better too. The board its on now is not really steady but I didnít have anything ells at the time. Guess Iíll go for a wood frame.

No luck with the steel shroud. The shops that do have some stuff have nothing older in general as 1980. In the north of the country here is more to be found but that donít help me here really.

Nork

PS
The Samofa Diesel engine fell through but I have some other bids going so lets see if I get some luck there. We need to have something to tinker for Xmas and winter donít we
Old 11-17-2005, 09:18:30 PM
Subscriber

I've been through the leaky gascap thing a few times. Don't be too surprised if the filler neck needs to be resoldered to the tank.

I made numerous gaskets, tried a couple of caps including a new dome cap that I got a a mower shop. None of this helped. The solder seam on the neck was the culprit but it was almost imperceptable.

The tank metal is very solderable and mine was accomplished with only about 1/4" wide circle of paint lost from the tank. Carefull though- a big bang can ruin more than your day.