Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

B&S Powered Yardman Mower

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1566 times

Old 07-08-2006, 08:09:50 PM
Registered

Talking B&S Powered Yardman Mower

I recently bought an old Yardman riding mower that runs great & mows well, I want to give it a good tune up anyway. I also plan to paint and restore it. I usually build up old cars, but this will be a different type of project. My problem is that I don't know what year it is. On the eng case it says Model:130902, Type:0175 01, Code 6711066. Can any of you folks out there help me out? I am very impressed with this site. Wow, I didn't know there was so much interest in antique small engines. I think I might have found a new hobby. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2006, 08:53:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: B&S Powered Yardman Mower

It's a 13 cubic inch displacement (probably 5hp) engine. this is taken from the first 2 digits of the model number.
It was made in 1967. This is from the first 2 digits of the code.

Good luck with your project and post some pictures so we can see your progress!

Thanks Harry
Old 07-08-2006, 11:39:56 PM
Registered

Default Re: B&S Powered Yardman Mower

Yes, 1967.
If the engine is running well, then all I would do is change the oil and keep the fuel system clean. after a number of hours, the carbon will build up around the valves. That could cause a valve to stick. Lots of abandoned engines can be restored just by a good de-carbon job. Maybe touch up the contact points and change the plug. Eventually the governor link parts will wear out, and the throttle shaft bushings.