Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

briggs model y

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 3570 times

Old 08-23-2006, 04:20:07 PM
Coal Dust

Default briggs model y

just aquiered a model y engine complet with kick start,anyone know what year or what engine was used for?

coaldust
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2006, 05:03:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts
Default Re: briggs model y

To find out when your engine was made, go to the "Technical Data" link. Then select Briggs Data. Using the serial number found on the ID tag you can determine the month & year it was built.
As far as what it was used on - a lot of them saw service on rural washing machines. If your engine has a pulley on the flywheel end and no shaft showing on the normal PTO end, it was almost definately a washing machine motor. If there is a normal shaft out the other end, it could also have been used on a lawn mower, generator, water pump or any other typical application requiring a 1/2 HP engine.

I Can Probably Fix That

Last edited by John Newman, Jr.; 08-24-2006 at 12:19:34 AM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:32:07 PM
Coal Dust

john
thanks for the reply being from the steam and traction side of this site
i knew i would find the info i was looking for.
i will go to the site you recomend to find out year and date and repost.
then i will be looking for parts and tech info

thanks coal dust
Old 08-23-2006, 11:19:26 PM
Registered

I think the neatest use for the Briggs Model Y was the powermate a 120vdc generator made by Montgomery Wards, It is on the back cover of the previous CPC Reproductions catalog, I think it was like $60 back in 1935. There is one for sale on Engine ads now for $500 probably the most valuable Model Y ever. I have one that was used on a Sears Kenmore Washing Machine, I think its a '36 I have the original base for it, it is the kind where there is no PTO end of the crank shaft and the pulley and starter are on the same side, a real neat set up I think.
~ Jonathan
Old 08-24-2006, 07:31:36 AM
Coal Dust

john
going to the asecc site my engine was built 08/1936 #317577
now to get to work on finding some parts .
i will try to post a picture soon.

coal dust
Old 08-24-2006, 07:59:41 AM
Subscriber

Coal Dust
Hopefully you’ll afford me a little walk down memory lane. My first introduction to a Briggs Y was when I was a 12 yr old kid in the late 50’s. I had built a little car and was looking for a motor to put on it. An uncle of mine donated a Briggs Y. Boy was I disappointed… I was hoping for a shinny new “modern” engine, and here I ended up with “this old thing”. At ½ HP… it was a little under powered for my needs… but that didn’t stop me from having a lot of fun trying to make that engine work on my “hot rod”. I remember that one day it suddenly lost compression… and I couldn’t get it to run again. I guess a valve hung-up… but I wouldn’t have known that back then. It ended up in the junk and that was that… but several years ago, when I started collecting lettered Briggs, on the top of the list was a Briggs Y. I found one and bought it and fixed it up and this one runs and sounds just like the one I had years ago… pretty cool if I must say so myself.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:50:55 AM
Coal Dust

Photo Re: briggs model y

hopefully i uploaded the pic of model y
this is my first small engine,i have a collection of antique tractors and i am envolved with steam and tracion engines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-024S.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	10874  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:28:52 AM
Subscriber

Here are a couple of pictures of a Briggs Model H - which is nothing more than a Model Y with a float carb. Note the riser feet under mine. Since the flywheel & shroud extend below the bottom of the crankcase, you need something under it to raise it up. I made these more or less based on a pair of originals that I saw one time. The factory original ones are pretty hard to find! I made mine out of 1" X 3" aluminum salvaged from the scrap bin where I used to work.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-25-2006, 08:16:50 AM
Coal Dust

john
that is a really nice looking engine! i hope to have mine in that condition next spring.
i might have to have you send me the blueprint of those risers.
where does the fuel tank mount on this old briggs?
i live where ther are a lot of amish and was hopeing to find some used parts

coal dust
Old 08-26-2006, 07:06:43 PM
Subscriber

Photo Re: briggs model y

Here's a picture of my Briggs Y. It's not as pretty as Johns H, (that's a REAL nice engine John) but it may give you some ideas about what to do with the tank and another solution for the shroud "problem".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Briggs_y.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	10910  
Old 08-27-2006, 02:53:44 AM
Registered

Compliments to John for doing consistently good restorations.
The photography is just as good.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:38:36 PM
Coal Dust

excellent looking model y is the fuel tank cast or tin?
also your muffler looks circa, are they still out there some where?
i and my 13year old son are going to try tomake this as authentic as possible,
it will be his first restoration

coal dust
Old 08-30-2006, 08:20:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanks. A Briggs Y is an excellent engine to choose for a first time restoration for you and your Son. They are fairly common… so there should be parts available if you need them… right down to the decals! When you get it running it will reward you with an interesting sort-of-broken cadence. I would have tried hard to “fix” mine when I got it running, thinking something was wrong… but it sounds just like the one I had 50 years ago.

The gas tank is tin and mine is a reproduction. I got it at a show a year or two ago; don’t remember the guy’s name that sold it. This web site appears to have several sponsors who sell tanks so that would be a good starting place.

The muffler is not a reproduction and I also got it at a show. I looked for one for two years and finally found one in with a bunch of other “junk”. I bought it on the spot. I’d bought more if he would have had them. There is a guy on eBay “moondog425” who makes excellent repro Briggs F series mufflers. I’ve written him and asked him if he ever thought about making the “pancake” style. He responded that he’s thought about it but I think he needs a few more “nudges”. I would think there would be a market for them.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:46:43 AM
Registered

I got a neat little tank and check valve (need a real small one for the 1/8" tubing) from Raymond Trabbic in Gallatin TN. His phone; 615-452-4127

This was a few years back and I believe you'll need a $60 bill or more.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:44:41 PM
john hatc.

Hey, Coal Dust tell your son to enjoy his first restoration (with no help exept questions on here)I'm just about finished with mine(still waiting on some parts) and I'm 14 Sophmore in high school, good to know some other people my age like this hobby if I told my freinds I spent all summer cleaning parts and asking crazy questions on smokstak they'd think I was CRAZY My engine runs great though I so happy with it(and relived i've done it right...so far so good) Hope yall have a great time with it.Now i've got Geometry and Chemistry homework...great fun.hope your son enjoys the resto.
Have fun,John
Old 08-30-2006, 11:30:17 PM
Subscriber

There is a tank & pick up tube listed on eBay right now.
Pick Up Tube: 290023922630 End time: Aug-31-06 08:26:39 PDT
Fuel Tank: 290023669216 End time: Sep-01-06 12:29:09 PDT
Don't know anything about this seller, but the parts look OK - not great, but usable.

Jim wrote:
"...got a neat little tank and check valve (need a real small one for the 1/8" tubing) from Raymond Trabbic in Gallatin TN. His phone; 615-452-4127"

I've bought stuff from him before and have met him at Portland. Good guy. He sells a lot of parts on eBay under the name lots-a-junk

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13:50 AM
Coal Dust

john hatc
i am a mechanic for my families gm dealership and this summer he was always looking for something to take apart,thats one resone i got the Y.plus i like old stuff too.
post a picture of yours when your done.good luck in school this year!

coal dust
Old 08-31-2006, 10:16:36 PM
john hatc.

Thanks, I'll try to get ahold of our digital camera here soon after I get the last few parts.The back ordered parts are for the governor linkage I've been waiting for two weeks no luck so far they said it could be as much as a month before they get it in. oh well it gives me some time to start cleaning up the garden tractor the model 8 came off of.
good luck with the y, John
Old 03-04-2019, 06:32:16 PM
Subscriber

Sure, I realize it's 13 years since the last reply on this post but when I did a Google search for B n S model y and asked why is mine smoking ? This is the first link that came up. After reading all the response to model y I thought I'd post mine as well. So I have clean adjusted valves, clean piston and rings with good compression, carb is clean and adjusted proper and fresh sae 30 oil n fuel in a clean tank. If anyone has a tip, please help and reply... thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181221_201853398.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	329973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181226_210246652.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	329974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181223_033224966.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	329975  
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCalEngines For This Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 07:37:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

Make sure the crankcase breather is not clogged up.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following User Says Thank You to Junkologist For This Post: