Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Smoky Mountain N & S

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3528 times

Old 09-09-2006, 01:04:02 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default Smoky Mountain N & S

Well, someone wanted to see the remains, so here 'tis!(assumin' Ahm a handlin' this heer computer thang right!) There are other parts there as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213web.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	11223  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2006, 05:51:48 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,472 Times in 548 Posts
Default Re: Smoky Mountain N & S

On the website that this picture is posted on there are other pictures of an abandoned "locomotive" along a RR right of way. While a locomotive style boiler it is, it is not the remains of a locomotive. It is some type of stationary or skid boiler that was used for something.

Mark J.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:45:10 AM
eMail NOT Working

Mark, if this image exists on another site, it was photographed by someone else. I shot this with my own camera, and , no, there are no abandoned railroad parts or anything else train related near this engine. It sits in a creek bed up in the smoky mountains park, where it was wrecked before the Park became a park. I don't know where you saw the image you are talking about, but it is possible that someone else shot the exact same picture, for there aren't a lot of good angles up there to shoot from. Certainly is a good excuse for a hike('bout a mile and a half).
By the way, what site is the posting?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:53:24 AM
Registered

hi sir i posted a thread about the 1919 ns on ebay
iwill try to go find the link
Old 09-10-2006, 01:58:39 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by earniemanson
hi sir i posted a thread about the 1919 ns on ebay
iwill try to go find the link

here it is http://hikingthecarolinas.com/featured_photo.php
try this one

Last edited by Craig A; 09-10-2006 at 11:53:23 PM. Reason: repair link
Old 09-11-2006, 10:24:45 AM
survivingworldsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCox
Mark, if this image exists on another site, it was photographed by someone else. I shot this with my own camera, and , no, there are no abandoned railroad parts or anything else train related near this engine. It sits in a creek bed up in the smoky mountains park, where it was wrecked before the Park became a park. I don't know where you saw the image you are talking about, but it is possible that someone else shot the exact same picture, for there aren't a lot of good angles up there to shoot from. Certainly is a good excuse for a hike('bout a mile and a half).
The webpage at:

http://hikingthecarolinas.com/featured_photo.php

Lists the N & S traction engine remains as the "Greenbriar Area Steam Engine." Right below it, is listed the "Forney Creek Trail Logging Locomotive" with pictures; it is this one that Mark is talking about. Mark; I may have to disagree with you on this one; although there is not alot to go by. It resembles the boiler from a New York Elevated forney on the shore of Lake Verrett outside of Morgan City, Louisiana. The shape of the steam dome and firebox resembles the Lake Verrett remains.

My original website with pictures of the locomotive is gone now; I am attempting to link to the two pictures I have through web.archive.org:

The bracket on the mud ring of the boiler does appear to be wrong.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24:38 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,472 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Mark; I may have to disagree with you on this one; although there is not alot to go by. It resembles the boiler from a New York Elevated forney on the shore of Lake Verrett outside of Morgan City, Louisiana.
OK, no problem. It sure doesn't look "normal" to me. I've spent 15 years around locomotives, and it just "don't look right". BUT, if it's a Forney, then that changes things quite a bit.

Thanks,
Mark J.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:37:46 PM
Jim Jake Templin

IMHO the "locomotive"boiler is just a locomotive style power boiler. There is no provision for a dome throttle, and the only locomotives of that approximate size in the woods that would have had external throttles would have had "Tee" style boilers.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:51:10 AM
eMail NOT Working

I do think we are talking about two different engines. I can guarantee ya that those two photos posted by Mr. Hefner are not the greenbriar N&S. Not sure but I think that one is a 13 hp.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58:55 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

Please remember, there were a lot of home made logging locos out there running around. I can visualize a home made flat car with that boiler on it and a stationary engine dragging logs behind it. The very old Climax engines even had a unique look to them.

Here are a few examples...........

http://www.explorepahistory.com/disp...php?imgId=1673

http://www.explorepahistory.com/disp...php?imgId=1675

http://www.gearedsteam.com/other/other_wxyz.htm

Jeff
Old 09-12-2006, 02:46:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeCox
Where in the park is this engine. I am going back down there next summer and I would like to see this if it is still there.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:22:18 PM
survivingworldsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Where in the park is this engine. I am going back down there next summer and I would like to see this if it is still there.
The same website that had the pictures also had directions for getting there, plus a link to a contact email and more information on hikes in the Smokies:

http://hikingthecarolinas.com/featured_photo.php

LeeCox, there are two steam engines in those woods, and my picture was not of either one. There is no question about the N & S engine, what it is or where it came from. It is called the "Greenbriar Area Steam Engine" on the above webpage. It is the second engine, which the above webpage calls the "Forney Creek Trail Logging Locomotive", that we were questioning the history of. It may not be a Forney after all, though the steam dome in particular resembles one. It may be an oddball logging locomotive like Jeff said, or may have been a stationary boiler. Any of those is possible in my mind.

The pictures in my response are of yet a third engine; not the Smokies at all, but on the edge of a lake in Louisiana. It is a former New York Elevated Forney that was bought by Napoleon Cypress and used in a logging operation. The story is that the engineer was running it while intoxicated one day, and wrecked it. What could be salvaged from the engine was removed and the rest left on the shore of Lake Verrett, where it remains today. (One of the steam cylinders were torched off fairly recently.) I posted them for a comparison to the "Greenbriar Area Steam Engine".

Me now thinks Ben Hadd's father was at the controls, probably trying to make welding repairs with coat hangers and run it at the same time.

-James Hefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Surviving World Steam Project