Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Steam Thresher Wanted

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 5629 times

Old 08-07-2007, 10:23:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Steam Thresher Wanted

Karen, you could post the time of day here, and it likely would end up being debated.
But it is usually educational though.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2007, 10:49:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

since I can't figure out the link for this I bumped up the (Texas engine at auction) thread for Karen. Maybe a tax deduction would look better than the engine to the owner now?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:53:51 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,126 Times in 3,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlongan View Post
I am very interested in the debate back and forth about the models and makes. If it helps, this event took place in 1904. That should narrow the possible models.

Karen
Karen,

Be careful in what you ask for.....steam discussions can be more volatile than religion & politics!

Beth...still CASELESS!
Old 08-07-2007, 11:08:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Vanarsdall View Post
Karen,

Be careful in what you ask for.....steam discussions can be more volatile than religion & politics!

Beth...still CASELESS!
Especially when the letters C-A-S-E are involved!

Mike "with a Case of Case" Owning McKnight
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,053 Posts

Since you are enjoying the debate, why not just build a replica and not waste a good traction engine, or find a portable? Any engine out there can be rebuilt with enough money and ambition as far as I am concerned. There are already tooooooooooo many engines sitting out in people’s yards rotting away that are the old “I’ma gona restorez this injen somesday!” What they really mean is that they are not going to do anything with it, let it sit out and rust away and then they will die and it will be sold at auction by their heirs that are not interested in it and then they can fight over the money. Had the owner sold it years ago, it could have been an engine that might not have cost as much or required as much work to restore.

Sorry, I just sat back and read this thread long enough about folks trying to volunteer engines or parts to go to waste. After seeing the 9hp at the Cumming, GA show last year and then Brad Kelly’s engine steamed up in the photos, I wish I would have bid on that engine from 6 flags and plunked a lot of loot into it…………….

Jeff Smith
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16:00 AM
karenlongan

Okay I'm clueless. Did you say there's something up for auction that might work?
Allow me to bore you all with a few details since you mentioned a donation. KMB is a 501c3 organization. Five years ago a small group of us decided to wrestle our small community (population 1400) back from the hands of the grim reaper. It was about to dry up. We started by tearing down old houses, painting the remaining businesses, planting flowers, etc. This summer we won the Keep Texas Beautiful Governor's award for the 2nd time. In Texas that means a $65,000 landscaping project through TxDOT. Their project will include landscaping, possibly retaining walls, planters, irrigation, lighting, trees, etc. We provide everything else. With out last prize we were able to raise over $35,000 for decorative street lights and 3 bronze sculptures. That's a lot of money for poor cotton farmers and teachers. Anyway, we will soon meet with the TxDOT architect and we are trying to get as much information as possible on this machine so that it can be a part of his design. Thanks for "schooling" me. I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,747 Times in 564 Posts

Karen,

instead of putting one engine on display and having it at the mercy of the weather, vandals, parts hunters etc, why not have a annual recreation of the moving of the town. Hunt up an appropriate sized house or two and bring in some engines to pull them around with. Sounds like a lot more fun and could generate some revenue if you can get enough onlookers....
Old 08-08-2007, 03:36:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,747 Times in 564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farquhar View Post
Karen, you could post the time of day here, and it likely would end up being debated.
But it is usually educational though.
Eastern or Central??
Old 08-08-2007, 04:17:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfKeck View Post
Eastern or Central??
HalfKeck,
In the last month, it seems mostly Mountain-Daylight? Maybe my sparring partners have been using Farquhar's spring water? That hadn't occured to me.
Gary
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44:01 PM
karenlongan

What would the "complete 60" cost?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44:52 PM
Jim Jake Templin

Karen, give me a call next week. 972 345 0364.

what you have there is a either a 15hp or 20hp early sidecrank style Case, and a 20hp or 22 hp Advance with an early style fabricated smokestack; later Advance engines were more prone to have a cast one. These were about the two most popular brands of steam traction engines used in Texas.

When the town of Celina was located on the Frisco RR in West Collin County (my neck of the woods), there were a couple of towns moved, and they were moved by the Carruth Family of Weston, because they owned several steam traction engines at the time. Their house moving trucks are at the Collin County Farm Museum, and I own their last thresher, and house moving tractor, a 22-36 McCormick Deering, which was actually run over by a house once.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:45:45 PM
karenlongan

We actually staged a Centennial Play last year with 100 singers, dancers, and actors. We had a great time. Staging the moving at an annual festival or something sounds like a great idea! Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:47:23 PM
karenlongan

Wow! That's amazing. I'd be interested in visiting. Thanks. I will give you a call next week.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:41:36 PM
Subscriber

HI, if you would be interested , i built a 2.5 scale walking plow that is just itching to be displayed in a setting like this. it is 8' tall and 18' feet long. If you would be interested i can email photos, my email is oldagiron@yousq.net.
It is great to hear that this day in age you are able to put the town back together, keep up the hard work
mike
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48:30 AM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlongan View Post
Wow! That's amazing. I'd be interested in visiting. Thanks. I will give you a call next week.
Karen,
RevJJ and I are going to shake hands this weekend, for the first time. I'm really looking forward to meeting him and swapping stories. He did send me a website regarding old bridges in Texas, that he narrated part of. I just wanted to warn you... You may have to pay close attention to what he is saying, as he seems to have a little bit of a Texas accent.
Gary
Old 08-09-2007, 09:50:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,160 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 Reeves Highwheeler View Post
HalfKeck,
In the last month, it seems mostly Mountain-Daylight? Maybe my sparring partners have been using Farquhar's spring water? That hadn't occured to me.
Gary
Gary,
I may just get into some of that spring water @Somerset ,Va.
in a week or two, I will let you know if it has any adverse affects.

Mike
Old 08-09-2007, 11:08:30 PM
karenlongan

A Texas accent I can handle. It's some "you guys" up north I might have difficulty with. Thanks a bunch. Karen
Old 08-12-2007, 06:51:13 PM
karenlongan

Okay guys! You did it! I am hooked! I am the farthest thing from an antique tractor fan. I prefer the theatre and a book of poetry. But I found myself at the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock this weekend. I saw a Kitten steam traction engine and found myself photographing it like it was a new grandbaby. How does that happen???

This is so interesting. Now I'm "itchin'" to go to a tractor show. So just call me a new fan!

Karen
Old 08-12-2007, 07:02:21 PM
Registered

now after you get that first smell of wood and coal smoke with a little steam oil it will be all over for you it was for me then you cant cet enough of the steam and gas shows and next you will want your own engine

hope you enjoy all this
Old 08-12-2007, 07:53:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,471 Times in 547 Posts

Karen,

I don't know about your neck of the woods, but up in Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana there are several female steam engine people. I say female because I could just as easily say women or girls.....they come in all ages. Not that the guys aren't doing it as well, it's just surprising that you can now see as many women as are seen puttering about with steam engines.

I encourage you to attend shows and learn. Don't let the "boys" run you off - if they do, just call Beth.

Also, common terminology: A gas, diesel, or kerosene fueled internal combustion machine is commonly addressed as a "TRACTOR". A steam engine that is capable of pulling a load or a plow is commonly called a "TRACTION ENGINE". The term "traction engine" was in use before there was any word such as "tractor".

Good luck!
Mark