Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Steam Thresher Wanted

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 5631 times

Old 08-12-2007, 10:53:19 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,129 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: Steam Thresher Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlongan View Post
Okay guys! You did it! I am hooked! I am the farthest thing from an antique tractor fan. I prefer the theatre and a book of poetry. But I found myself at the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock this weekend. I saw a Kitten steam traction engine and found myself photographing it like it was a new grandbaby. How does that happen???

This is so interesting. Now I'm "itchin'" to go to a tractor show. So just call me a new fan!

Karen
Karen,

Welcome to a neat hobby!

That Kitten you photographed came from up by me here in Michigan. It was owned by Walter Knapp. I have a photo of it sitting on the lowboy at our farm. My Dad hauled for years before Walter passed away. I hate that it is just sitting down there. It needed some serious TLC before Walter passed away.......Look up the Kitten thread & you will see it.

Should you need some encouragement, please ask. ....we "females" can run the engines just as well (if not BETTER!) than the boys! Here's a shot of me running my 24 Port Huron this weekend at the LaGrange, IN show. I was pulling a 10 bottom JD plow.... that had been the lead plow for the Rantoul Case exhibition... My 12 yr old niece, Marissa was up there with me. She helped her Dad (my brother, Rol) run his 20 hp rear mount double Nichols & Shepard around at the show.

Beth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	21993  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 08:16:56 PM
karenlongan

Wow! That's impressive and interesting. Yes, the Kitten did seem to lack some tlc and fresh paint. I know nothing about whether it ran or not. However, it was great to see it. Thanks for the encouragement.
Karen
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28:47 AM
Registered

Beth, Didn't Walter Knapp have a second engine besides the Kitten? Wasn't it the one that broke an axle while moving the stage? Or am I mixing memories?

More to this thread... The Monroe (MI) County Fair Association is thinking about creating a new static display for the AD Baker engine donated by the Rau Family. My feelings are mixed I'll be glad to see it get more exposure, but I'm dissapointed that the engine is not being restored.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:44:30 AM

Nic,

Walter had several engines including the Kitten, an 18 Avery (went to IA), a 24 Port Huron (narrow wheeled, I think...been a LONG time ago!), a Rolls Royce, a Stanley Steamer & more.

As for the Rau engine-21 Baker, that is a disgrace to leave it in such poor condition stuffed in a corner with signs hiding it! The family left it to the Fair never to be run again. We were able to run it a few years, but it developed a few leaks.

If they make a new display, it should be cleaned up & painted. It deserves better.

The Fair also has the Crown locomotive that we run around the parking lot. It is neat, but in danger of being put aside in favor of a diesel locomotive that a relative of the board made....not a pretty sight I hear.

Beth
Old 08-15-2007, 12:44:11 AM
Registered

Hey Karen glad to hear that you liked our humble little collection. Also you might keep in mind the next time you're this way, swing over to Slaton and look Jerry Kitten up. Yes he is related, and has an engine of his own. Toby.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01:44 AM
Registered

Karen,

If you want to go to a show in Texas, the best is in Temple the 1st weekend in October (5-7).

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlongan View Post
Okay guys! You did it! I am hooked! I am the farthest thing from an antique tractor fan. I prefer the theatre and a book of poetry. But I found myself at the American Museum of Agriculture in Lubbock this weekend. I saw a Kitten steam traction engine and found myself photographing it like it was a new grandbaby. How does that happen???

This is so interesting. Now I'm "itchin'" to go to a tractor show. So just call me a new fan!

Karen
Old 08-17-2007, 12:43:06 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,028 Posts

The front wheel angle iron cast steered chain appeared to be pre 1904 Case 15 hp.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:42:59 PM
karenlongan

Hello. Are you still out there? Soon after my post last year I became very ill and did not visit the forum again. I'm up and at it again and just wondering if I can start this search for a traction engine for our park again. Karen
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Old 10-01-2008, 10:48:52 PM

Hi Karen!

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

No spare engines here, but they are out there.

Beth