Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Please help Identify this engine

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2565 times

Old 11-19-2007, 10:24:30 PM
Registered

Default Please help Identify this engine

Can anyone please help me identify this engine, it is from a guy in the UK who needs help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery1.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	26074   Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery 1a.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	26075  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2007, 10:47:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Please help Identify this engine please

Could it be a Wolverene by The Field and Brundage? Or Sattley?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36:59 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Please help Identify this engine

Well, I have a Wolverene by The Field and Brundage, but it has the Sattley style sliding coller govenor. Mine has a webster. I will tell you that from what I can see, mainly the rocker arm trunion on the push rod they look close.
Sorry not much help.

Matt
Old 11-20-2007, 02:43:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,361 Posts

OZ,
Try this thread:
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33009

I contacted the friend of the owner of the engine in GEM about a year ago.
I've attached three photos he sent me to this thread. He & we have not been able to come up with a definitive answer on identification.
Our emails are below:
Irvin,
A friend saw your query in the March, 2005, issue of Gas Engine Magazine regarding identity of your friend's mystery engine. I'm not sure that I can help identify it but there was an engine at the 2006 Dublin, NH show that looked very similar. I have attached two scans of this engine. The mixer shown is probably not original to this engine & I could see no mixer in the photos of your friend's engine.

Our guesses so far are possibly an early Alamo or a Field-Brundage. Does your friend's engine have grease cups or oil wells on the main bearings?

If you had a good photo & dimensions of the ignitor maybe you could identify the engine by going to this site:
http://www.oldengine.org/members/brookover/ign-id.htm

If you have identified it could you let me know?

Irvin's reply:
Thanks for sending the information on the gas engine. Over the years I have had a lot of ideas of what my engine is but nobody knows for sure. I have the big yellow book on engines and it is not in there. The pictures you sent are very similar to mine. Do you know what that engine is? I have oil wells and quite a bit of brass parts on it. My igniter is not listed on the web site. My measurements are .437 by 2.750. There are a few with the same measurements but none as complicated as mine.
Thanks
Irvin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cnv0471 (Small).JPG
Views:	134
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	26088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnv0957 (Small).JPG
Views:	169
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	26089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cnv0958 (Small).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	26090  
Old 11-20-2007, 06:03:46 PM
Registered

Here is a shot of the head and rocker, to help identify it.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mystery 1b.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	26097   Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery 1c.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	26098  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:22:51 AM
Registered

Just looked at all the pics of this engine and think it may be a early Alamo.My reason being the gov wt and speed adjustment.It is identical to my early vertical Alamo.The main bearing caps also look the same.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:57:18 AM
Registered

Hi All,

The engine pictured in the two photos at the top of this thread is owned by a friend of mine here in England. It was a friend of his that originally started this "identity thread" on his behalf back in 2007.

Obviously research and knowledge advances with time, so I was wondering if anyone can shed anymore light on what the engine is? Is it still thought to be of an early Alamo?

I understand that Doug Kimball has seen another example of this engine a couple of times over the last 8 years at the Dublin, NH Show. Does anyone else have one the same?

My friends engine has now had a replica J-type carburettor made for it, and it has been coaxed back to life, albeit the governor system needs a little more setting-up I understand. it is running again though which is great news.

If anyone has anymore information about these engines, or anymore photographs of other examples we would love to see them.

Many thanks,
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49:09 AM
Subscriber

Kev,
See this link for more photos: http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95160

I see parts that seem similar to Stover, Field Brundage, R&V and Alamo but we never identified the maker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 09:34:53 AM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Please help Identify this engine

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the link to your previous thread. Those photos of the engine you've seen at the Dublin NH Show are great.
Particularly as the engine my friend owns needs a new fuel tank. Its nice to know what the original tank should look like.

Is the engine you've seen at The NH Show in running order? I would be interested to know if it runs as well as a hit and miss Stover W? Those engines run lovely and slow, freewheeling for many revolutions between firing.

Do you know who owns the engine you've seen at the NH Show? It would be useful to be in contact with another owner of one of these engines.

Many thanks, Kev
Old 06-25-2014, 02:57:50 PM
Subscriber

Kev,
I met the owner & talked with him but don't have any contact information. He is not a regular exhibitor. The engine did run, smoked a little & could have used some tweaking. If I remember correctly it had not run for several years & he brought it again to see if someone could identify it. I have some scans of photos a friend took at the Dublin show but several years prior to 2009 of the same engine.

I had some email correspondence with a mid-west collector who also had one. We exchanged photos but did not positively id it. I've attached four photos of his engine here. This one had no carb. I would say that both engines were originally painted red. Paint on neither was great but looks similar to that on old, faded Economy or other red engine.
Maybe someday someone will id them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mystery%201a.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	198680   Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery%201b.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	198681   Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery%201c.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	198682   Click image for larger version

Name:	mystery1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	198683  
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Kimball For This Post:
Old 06-25-2014, 04:05:30 PM
Registered

Thank you for your help Doug. It's much appreciated.

Interestingly the serial number on the engine you've seen (13034) fits in nicely with the Alamo Engine Registry (http://buzzcoil.brinkster.net/alamo/page201.html). This would date the engine to around 1911 / 1912 which would fit in nicely with it's styling and features I would say.

I will try and find out what the serial number is on my friends engine to see whether this fits in with the Alamo Engine Registry, and how it compares with the Dublin NH Show engine.

As I mentioned before, my friends engine here in England has now had a replacement carburettor fabricated, and the damaged rocker arm repaired. It has been run once (several years ago), but needs some attention to the governor system to get it running nicely.

I am due to see my friend in the next couple of weeks, so will find out more about his engine then, and report back with an update.

Thanks again for your help , Kev