Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Oiler blow back! fixing the problem!!

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 3218 times

Old 02-03-2002, 12:04:58 AM
Adam Cottrill

Default Oiler blow back! fixing the problem!!

Hi,

everyone have you ever noticed on some engines (in my case a Herc 2hp hit and miss) there is a air blow back through the oiler??? it makes the oil inthe oiler all cloudy and look aweful.

I have a friend who had a herc whos did the same ive seen a couple since? and got his resleved and new piston and it still blew back! SO heres what you do! get a double ended female brass fitting (standard fitting) about 3 cm long drill a 2 or 3mm hole in the side of it as vertical as you possibly can and place it between the oiler and the oiler pipe with the hole pointing upward and this allows the air to escape and the oil to drop down into the engine and it looks quite in place with the engine! just another peice of brass to polish!!

Regards,

Adam

P.S No i dont think the blow back was caused by the lower Air pressure here in Australia, but then again maybe that would account for the greater intelligence of the Australian population as we have less pressure on our brains then you guys on top of the world!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2002, 01:41:56 AM
Ron Weber

Default Re: Oiler blow back! fixing the problem!!

Neat trick, I like it. Should work out very well with litte trouble.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:03:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,918 Times in 1,739 Posts

Hi Adam : As I started to read your post it came to me that with all the CM's & MM's , you weren't in the old US of A . We "YANKS" may not have all of the intellegence of those down under, but we're on top . Then again, it all depends on ........ , no don't even go there, OK . Your post was a good reminder to us who have forgotten more than most folks have ever learned about the "SIMPLE" fixes. That by the way just comes with age... , and we need to get once in awhile.

It's really good to hear from folks down under . It shows the size of Harry's audience , and the shrinking of the world through communications(when it works , which is most of the time ).

Just trying to have some fun , in NJ

Paul
Old 02-03-2002, 08:26:00 AM
David Greenwalt

Hi Adam, I don't know for sure about this, but I have been told that if you're getting blowback you probably have a machine oiler instead of an engine oiler. An engine oiler has a tube running up inside to release air pressure, whereas a machine oiler doesn't 'cause there is no blowback. Might be something to check. Actually, I am curious about this, so maybe someone can verify it. Later.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:00:48 AM
Joe Morris

David is on the right track, you apparently have a machine oiler. These will work fine on some makes of engines but not all, due to the position of the oiler tube and how much blow by the engine has. The engine oiler has a check ball just below the sight glass and a "breather" tube and also has a screw in filler cap which also prevents any oil from blowing out of the top of the oiler as opposed to the non sealing filler cap or swing lid which don't seal when closed.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:40:23 AM
Mark Congden

Along with what Joe said, I wonder if it's something to do with Hercules geometry.I have 3 or 4 Hercs that do this no matter what I do to try to prevent it.Even with engine oilers on them.Maybe the check ball and seats are worn out? Some of the engines have new piston rings and some have worn out piston rings and it seems like the worn out ones do blow back worse. Maybe I'll have to try the "TRICK FROM DOWN UNDER"

Mark Congden

Cleveland,NY
Old 02-03-2002, 09:47:11 AM
Bill in PA

Some years back there was an article in GEM on converting an oiler to an engine oiler. It involved soldering a tube in place and adding the check ball. Adam, could you posta pictureof your setup? Thanks Bill in PA
Old 02-03-2002, 10:46:42 AM
Randy Hart

Default Re:Oiler- another option

Adam, could it be a roo hair caught in the lower glass assembly and kicking the oil around as it drops ?
Old 02-03-2002, 11:10:29 AM
Ed Kinch

Hello All,

I have several Hercules engines and have no trouble with blow back if the check is seating properly and the vent tube is not restricted or too small.When useing a machine oiler without check or vent, Adams fix works very well. I have converted machine oilers to engine oilers by machining a seat into the bottom fitting and adding a check ball and vent tube.This can only be done if the oiler has enough material to accommodate the alterations.

Ed Kinch
Old 02-03-2002, 11:14:31 AM
Ed Kinch

Default Re:Oiler- another option

Wow Randy,thats bad!

Ed Kinch
Old 02-03-2002, 11:51:11 AM
Allen at CHT

I used this "trick" on my 2HP Witte headtype 10 years ago,. . . and yes, it does work a treat.

Another bonus is it allows you to use those crappy $3 Chinese oilers at shows. . . . You know, the ones that nobody in their right mind would "borrow" (read; steal), and you wouldn't cry all that much if they did, either.
Old 02-03-2002, 06:36:32 PM
Norm S

I have a 2-1/2HP Herc (Jaeger) that I put an engine oiler on because of the blow back problem. However, I have to watch very carefully how fast I feed the oil or the sight glass will fill up with oil and none will then go into the engine. On my 4HP Novo, had the same blowback problem, so I just put a female-female coupler in the pipe, drilled a small hole in the coupler toward the engine so you don't see it, and it works great. Same idea as the first post in this thread.

Norm
Old 02-03-2002, 07:40:36 PM
Adam Cottrill

Hi guys,

Well i must say i learnt something, i didnt know there where "machine oilers" and "engines oilers" i thought they where all the same basic thing especially when i have bought the odd reproduction oiler from time to time myself and alot of guys i know personally have been scratching our heads over this one for years as in why the hell it happens this could be the answer!

Randy if I put that roo hair in the top of the oiler i should kick the oil down with great force you would think. But now i have to find a roo hair and i personally dont want to hit a Big Grey again in my car as i think $2500 is a bit to expensive to fix an oiler or maybe in just a tight ass Aussie!.

OR THEN AGAIN i could hit the roo and sell the hairs to you guys and start up a huge Roo Hair Export Business to fix engine oilers!

Thanks everyone,

Adam
Old 02-04-2002, 12:38:25 AM
Al Hettich

Hey Adam don't get frosted or offended, but I think it is the gravitational pull from the higher centrifugal force in Aussie. Combined with the secondary tidal effect of the full moon, and the fact that if you were in North america the oiler would be right side up. Well it is either that or the vented engine oiler thing. And maybe I am full of Roo crap. Al
Old 02-04-2002, 06:08:33 AM
David Greenwalt

Hey, maybe it's the Coriolis Effect. Fluid does spin the opposite direction south of the equator, and most of these engines and oilers were designed and tested north of the equator. Later.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:37:32 PM
Doug Hanneman

I have a 1 1/2 HP Economy and I had the same blowback problem in the oiler your talking about. My oiler didn't have the pressure relief tube or check valve in it, so it must be what is called a machine oiler. I drilled a hole in the pipe coupling between the oil tube and the oiler last summer and it corrected the problem.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:02:50 PM
RBackus

Bill in PA noted there was an article in GEM dealing with this. It's in the November 1994 issue, page 9. The article is called "Modifying Oilers For Hit and Miss Engines," and it's by James W. Windle.

Richard Backus/Gas Engine Magazine
Old 02-04-2002, 07:07:50 PM
Bill Schaller

Default can someone post this

can someone post this article. my magazines do not go back that far.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:17:35 PM
Adam Cottrill

Default a better mouse trap.

Hey Al and Dave,

im thinking you both could be right just a minor shart fall in American Engine design for distribution to other places in the world which did not take into account local environmental concerns.(how could you!!!)

One thinks we might have to contact NASA to send a few probes over this way to measure the translucent effects of our pristene environment and not only design the better "mouse trap" but the "better oiler" too.

Kindest regards,

Adam
Old 02-04-2002, 11:17:29 PM
Carl Mehr

If the oil is backing up in the sight glass, the check ball may be gumed up by carbon and other such krud. I keep a spray can of carb cleaner in my tool box. Remove the oiler and give the check ball a shot and should should solve the problem. Also...when converting a machine oiler by installing a by-pass tube use J&B, much quicker and less hassle than solder. Carl