Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Exhaust Manifold (High Heat Paint?)

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 8886 times

Old 02-26-2009, 06:55:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,348 Times in 438 Posts
Default Exhaust Manifold (High Heat Paint?)

Here's a question I'm sure someone can answer fairly easily. I just bought a reproduction manifold for my MM/Twin City KTA which comes painted "Prairie Gold" from the supplier. The yellow is now gone but I would like to replace it with a flat black.

I have been told that a powder coat would be fairly pricey and probably a little overkill for a machine that will only run perhaps, 50 hours a year! How do good quality high temperature engine primer/paints compare. Would the rattle can solution suffice, even with several coats?

Hope someone can fill me in. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2009, 12:31:33 AM
Registered

Default Re: Exhaust Manifold (High Heat Paint?)

I prefer using high heat paint made for stoves. It is better than engine paints an stands up fairly well. Run after installing to get it hot and bake it on.

Lyle
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyle S For This Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 01:37:22 AM
Registered

Here is another option.
http://www.jet-hot.com/colorchart.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilzum For This Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45:16 AM
Registered

I would go to Eastmans and look at the high temp stainless manifold paint they have. I have used it and it seems to hold up well. You need to sandblast the manifold before applying
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Cannon For This Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 10:48:40 AM
Registered

I meant Eastwood not Eastmans I got Eastman Gun show on my mind going tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11:04 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I just go to the hardware store and buy a pint of black "grill paint". It holds-up fine and is cheap and easy.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Jeff, Eastwood does have some good heat coatings that I have used in the past.
Powder coats, ceramic, and Jet Hot are good but expensive.

I would put in my vote for stove black, or barbecue black along with Lyle, and Eldon.
Do not use the cheapest "wal-mart" heat black. I did and I was sorry, as it did not perform as well as a more expensive can from a hardware store did. JD brand from JD dealer is one of the best so far.
The current issue of Antique Power has my MM-TC model J standard on the cover/centerfold. I used a John Deere brand rattle can on it with good results.
Blast the manifold, and do not handle it with bare, oily hands or dirty gloves. Put several thin coats on allowing some dry time between light coats. Place on top of wood stove, or in an oven at low-medium (200 degree is plenty) heat for half hour. Running it on the tractor can work ok also.
In the future you can effectively mask off your tractor, scuff manifold with a 3M Scotch Bright, and apply a thin touch up coat or two and it will look very nice again for some time

Can you tell us what supplier you purchased the repo manifold from? What was the cost, and are you happy with the quality?
You do realize that we want you to post photo's for us, right
Old 02-27-2009, 03:58:41 PM
Sponsor

I have used the barbacue black paint from rustoleum, you can pick up at menards. Works pretty well for me and is easy to touch up. The other ways work well to. Phil
Old 02-27-2009, 08:42:19 PM
Registered

You are in Ontario and there are Home Despots everywhere. Barbecue black is the best thing going. The stuff at Home Depot is flat black and you don't have to sandblast or prime the heck out of your piece. It is a fantastic product

Locally here, powder coat is fairly cheap. If that is what you want and can afford you should go for it.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:42:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,348 Times in 438 Posts

Well thanks for the heads up boys! I really appreciate it.

Tony the manifold came from Steiner's but I purchased it through a gentleman from Port Burwell, Ontario who used to own an M-M dealerhip with his brother back in the 50's. He is still very active in the reproduction/used parts business. He has some deal with Steiner (their catalogue with his name on the cover) It was pretty pricey but what the hell, it should be good for anoher 74 years!

The picture is from a while ago, the paint is about 90% stripped now. I have new rings for it, had the valves ground with new seats, block sleaved, carb rebuilt. The babbit bearings are getting done this spring. It's been quite an adventure for a young enthusiast! She'll be brand new though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KTA Restoration.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	49523  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 02-28-2009, 09:57:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Looking good Jeff, you will have a very good tractor there when you are done! I hope you are taking lots of pictures, because you can tell people you restored something, or you can show them....one carries a lot more weight than the other.

That manifold may be a whole lot more expensive than you think. I am guessing it was made overseas (most likely China, however the replacement water pump for my MM 4 Star is thought to be made in Turkey)? We should be making them here so we would have more jobs. America gave my job to China twice over the years. The huge buildings where I used to work stand empty now, and this has cost my family and others hundreds of thousands
Expensive repo manifolds?.....Yes, very, very expensive
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

The best I found is the Eastwood products. You can get silver, black or cast iron grey. The BBQ black works well to, but may need to be reapplied after a dyno run.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:06:59 PM
Registered

I know it's really hard to do but the trick a old racing engine builder told me was to get the manifold or headers clean by bead or sand blasting and then all the dust cleaned off with paint thinner. Wear clean plastic gloves on final cleaning, when painting and yes even when installing before heated up by the engine. It's any of kind of oil at all even from fingerprints that makes the paint peel off in some spots. Keeping it clean and fingerprints off will let he high heat paint cure and less apt to peel off. Any of it is only going to stay on there for so long before burning off again but having it clean as possible makes it last longer.