Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Leroy Engine help! Please help me try to identify my Uncle's engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2813 times

Old 06-05-2009, 12:20:46 AM
Subscriber

Default Leroy Engine help! Please help me try to identify my Uncle's engine

Hello Everyone-

My Uncle is here in Michigan visiting from Florida. In past years he has told me about an engine he used to own. He says it was call a "Leroy" and that the name was cast into the water jacket (hopper I am assuming) He said it had aprox. 36 inch flywheels and used a spark plug with battery & coil ignition and had a hit and miss governing system. He says they were used in the oil and gas fields in Southern Ohio. he is in his early to mid 80's now and may be a little off on what the name was. He no longer has the engine and does not have any pictures of it. If anyone would like to take a stab at figuring out what engine this might have been please feel free. I would love to solve this mystery!

Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 07:16:26 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Leroy Engine help! Please help me try to identify my Uncle's engine

Hey Joe, Unks memory is not that far off . He's talking about a Leroi engine . Look in the archives here (using that spelling i used ) or Google it .

Jhoward
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48:27 PM
Subscriber

Hello Everyone-

Someone suggested that "Leroy" is actually spelled Leroi. I still haven't found anything that resembles the engine he describes. Please re-visit my first post. However, there is a man referenced as "the Leroi Man" His name is Ed Malcom. I would like to contact him. Does anyone here have an e-mail address for him? If you could provide it, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04:27 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,243 Times in 969 Posts

Put Malcom in the search at the top of the page, a batch of Ed's posts will come up...
On any of his posts click on his name; a box will come up that will let you send him an email thru the forum...
Don't be surprised if you don't hear back at once; he's probably away from the forum or he would've posted a reply already...
You'll find Ed always pleasant and helpful, as he's a mine of info on LeRoi's. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:08:59 PM
Email Not Working

FIRST OFF THANKS EVERYBODY Im still burning the candle on both ends and the middle but it is getting harder after all the years. I have a show planned almost every weekend between now and the end of october and most within a 200 mile radius. Back to the question thw engine is a model a 288 with a 7 1/4 bore and 7 stroke designed to run from 310 rpm to 620 and 13 to 26 hp. I have one i am putting back together. The flywheel is about 36 inches in diameter and about 6 inches thich with fins like a small air cooled engine. These are called a condenser engine and have to run above boiling . They have a little radiator on top and as the water boils it rises up and the air from the flywheel cools it back down. In the winter they had to run alchol because anti freeze would get too hot before it boiled. According to the book they weighrd 2300 lbs and i believe it. The only place that the name Le Roi is cast is on the valve cover.They started these big things with a hand crank and even with a com pression release it would have been rough to get the mass turning. Once they started it is my understanding that they would run for months without being shut down. Right now there are several of them for sale in colorado for 500 apiece. If you run into one and the tag only says Le Roi it was made pre 1949. From 49 to 57 they were called Le Roi Roiline and when waukesha bought them out in 57 they were only called Roiline It is mmy understanding they were made until 85 when the entire line of big engines was discontinued and parts were made until 88..Ed malcom the le roi man in southwest mo