Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Van Norman Boring Bar

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 10648 times

Old 08-22-2009, 06:27:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts
Default Van Norman Boring Bar

Any thoughts on this appreciated. I bought a Van Norman 944 boring bar several years ago, bad motor, no tooling. Today I found a complete unit, the tool holder is damaged but I have a good one on the spare. I've been thinking about marrying the two of them, take the bar from one, cut it at the top, cut the bar from the other at the bottom of the rack gear and joining them. I should be able to make longer shafts. I would have to look at the bar once I disassemble it, but I'm thinking I could bore the insides, machine a sleeve, heat the bars and shrink them on to the sleeves. I know there is a tube running down between the driveshaft and the outer bar to expand the catpaws. The two together should give 3' reach, I think these will bore 4.5" or so, enough to sleeve a 4.25" cylinder. The van Normans have expanding catpaws that follow the boring bar, so it should bore true without chatter at any depth, I would just need to make a support bearing to hold it steady until the paws are in the cylinder. My Storm boring bar tends to chatter on deep holes, so I have to make light cuts.This would be ideal for smaller headless engines if things would work out.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 06:48:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: Van Norman Boring Bar

JB that should work if you will be able to retract the bar all the way out of the cylinder. I have an old Symplicity boring bar that I added a nine inch extension to for boring a FBM six hp. I needed 20 inches and the bar only went to 11 so I added the nine inch extension and it worked good but did chatter a bit when it got close to the end of travel. I just bored away and left about fifteen thousands and finished with light cuts till out to size. Worked for me. Mine has cat paws but only for centering the bar for clamping. Although I never thought about leaving them in while boring. Might work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heller D. Davis For This Post:
Old 08-22-2009, 06:57:16 PM
Registered

JB that should work if you will be able to retract the bar all the way out of the cylinder. I have an old Symplicity boring bar that I added a nine inch extension to for boring a FBM six hp. I needed 20 inches and the bar only went to 11 so I added the nine inch extension and it worked good but did chatter a bit when it got close to the end of travel. I just bored away and left about fifteen thousands and finished with light cuts till out to size. Worked for me. Mine has cat paws but only for centering the bar for clamping. Although I never thought about leaving them in while boring. Might work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heller D. Davis For This Post:
Old 08-22-2009, 07:23:00 PM
Registered

Mine has cat paws but only for centering the bar for clamping. Although I never thought about leaving them in while boring. Might work.[/QUOTE]

The cat paws on my Storm rotate with the boring head, they have to be retracted, the Van Norman has shoes that remain stationary, the expander has a spring loaded ratchet to keep a tension on the paws all the way down.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:13:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts

I had a 944 one time, and I thought it would go to 5 1/2 inches?...I sold it a couple of years ago, so maybe my memory is just going too!
The Following User Says Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 08-23-2009, 09:38:18 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M. Lyon View Post
I had a 944 one time, and I thought it would go to 5 1/2 inches?...I sold it a couple of years ago, so maybe my memory is just going too!
I haven't measured the expansion on the large catpaws, maybe it does go larger, that would be even better.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10:32 PM
Subscriber

Unless someone has made something custom, the biggest size you can bore with a 944 or 944s is 4.412", as noted in the instructions/ parts list. If you made a longer bit holder and thicker cats paws you should be able to go bigger. I suspect the problem you'll run into with extending the bar is the expanding mechanism. If I remember right, the knob is at the top and of course the cat paws are at the bottom, so it would have to be extended. Once you get it apart, it may not be that big of a deal, just keep us posted with pictures. I'm interested to see how it goes!
The Following User Says Thank You to ssimntih For This Post:
Old 08-23-2009, 09:38:15 PM
Registered

I have an 888 boring bar, when I got it the scroll plate and expanding jaws were broken, had to take it apart. It's been a while but I rember the scroll plate was turned by a hollow tube in the bar, the drive shaft to the boring head ran through the middle. I don't remember how much space there was between the tube and the bar. When I get time I'll take the parts machine down and study it, I need the tool holder section for the new machine, looks like someone was rough on it. I'll also fiogure what's the maximum length I can come up with, a quick measure today looks like maybe 30", don't know if that would be enough to do the smaller headless engines.