Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

steam whistle

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3583 times

Old 02-05-2000, 10:28:59 PM
doug wilson

Default steam whistle

I picked up what I think is a steam whistle today. I'm not 100% sure however. It is brass and is 7.25 inches tall. The makers name is stamped on it. American Steam Gauge &V. MFG. CO.,BOSTON. Also on the area where you would put your wrench on it to tighten it it reads , open 35 lbs, A.S.M.E., 1 in. ,H 1829 steamper hour 433 , CLOSED 30 lbs. . It also has the monkey tail with a small hole to attach a chain or cord. OK folks, what do I have ? What is it worth ? Thanks to you all. doug
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2000, 11:29:23 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,271 Times in 2,496 Posts
Default Re: steam whistle

"open 35 lbs, A.S.M.E., 1 in. ,H 1829 steamper hour 433 , CLOSED 30 lbs."

Spells pressure relief valve to me. These are sold in flea markets to unsuspecting folks who are told it's a steam whistle. Can be polished and shown attractively, but not blown. Value $10 to $30 depending upon size and brand. Y.M.M.V.

-- Harry
Old 02-06-2000, 02:35:55 AM
Orrin Iseminger

It sounds like you have a relief (safety) valve. The lever is for manually lifting it. It pops at 35 psi and resets at 30 psi.
Old 02-06-2000, 04:38:10 AM
Russ Hughes

Yes, it is a safety valve. The difference between the opening (35 psig) and the closing pressure (30 psig), is the blowdown. This is a valve for steam service with a rating of 433 pounds of steam per hour when it is open. The little handle hanging down the side is is the lifting lever to allow the valve to be manually opened when the operating pressure is below the valves set pressure.

While this type of a valve will open when used in liquid service, it is not intended for liquid service. Liquid service relief valves do not normally have a blowdown setting. Relief valves for liquid service usually will have a packed lifting lever so the liquid can be piped away somewhere and disposed of.

This particular style safety valve can also be used on air service, but the rated capacity in CFM on air will be different than on steam because of the different density.

I used to rebuild and recalibrate these things 30 years ago when I was working in Anchorage, Alaska.
Old 02-11-2000, 05:06:22 AM
Ian Larcher

Don't feel to bad about the mistake with the whistle/safety valve. I once had a licensed boiler inspector tell me that a Nathan five chime whistle on a locomotive he was inspecting for me was in fact a safety valve with a easing lever!!! He also wanted to know why the three pop safety valves fitted did not have the same.But coming from someone who did not know what a flexible boiler wall stay was- this did not surprise me that much- and these guys are supposed to be the experts? Makes you shudder!!!
Old 02-11-2000, 08:08:47 AM
Allen

Default Inspectors

One felllow we had wanted to check the soft plug, he was told it is "just inside at the back, open the door, and look up"...He proceeded to open the smokebox door ans peered up the chimney with a flashlight! He did not realise that the "back" of a locomotive type boiler is at the opposite end as an industrial one. A lady inspector in Ohio asked a friend of mine where the electric back-up feedwater pump was...on his traction engine. She didn't seem to realise that it would need a rather LONG extension cord. Our friends have also had no end of trouble with new inspectors over "Where is the ASME stamp and numbers?" on many of our boilers (before 1918 they didn't stamp them). You have to remember that many of these fellers joined the Department of Labor & Industry straight out of college, they don't have ANY practical experience. Some of them are pretty good guys, and they do want to learn. As my grandpap says "It's a crooked game, but it is the only one in town!" The best solution is to keep a straight face, and calmly try to explain their error. Arguing just makes the situation worse, and falling down laughing may just get you red tagged.