Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Aluminum Vrs. Steel

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1552 times

Old 05-07-2003, 06:33:28 PM
Steve Gerot

Default Aluminum Vrs. Steel

I recently bought a 5x10 steel tiltbed trailer and it is about 6 inches to narrow to get 3 Farm King's on. I can only get one on. I could get 2 on if it were a mere inch wider. Any way I decided to just buy a new one to fit my needs and sell the one I bought. I really like the Aluma aluminum trailers. They are kinda pricey, but I have not priced a new steel one yet. A 6 1/2 x 10 1/2 Aluma with a 3000 pnd. axle goes for about $1900. Any one ever had an aluminum trailer and what problems are they prone to? I have heard they crack but so does steel. I do prefure a wooden deck but can live without one. There was a fellow who emailed me before down around K.C.(I think) that had the low down one a manufacturer down there. If you read this send me an email, I think I accidently deleted yours.

I tried to make this photo smaller but I have failed

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2003, 12:29:37 PM
DANIEL DORECE

Default Re: Aluminum Vrs. Steel

I had an aluminum car hauler for a couple of years(name of trailer withheld to avoid a lawsuit) What a piece of s---.!!! It was so noisy on the road,like draging a bunch of tin cans ,and when i got rid of it it probably had enough repair welds and reenforcement plates in it to need a higher weight license plate on it.I like steel with a wooden deck. the wooden deck prevents slipping of the load and you can always nail cleats to it.

DAN
Old 05-08-2003, 06:10:08 PM
Steve Gerot

Well I called about Steel ones today. Those Aluma's are pretty well built but I kinda want a wooden deck. I can buy a 6x12 steel for about $1200 which I thought was kinda high since you can buy a cheap tandem for that. I just hate the extra weight of steel, nearly 3 times heavier. I have tomorrow off so Im going to go looking. I do not have nor do I want a full size pick up so I am limmited to what I buy.Im soo cornfused. If this attorney does not get off his dead a_s and get me a check I wont be buying anything. He said this week, but thats what he said 3 years ago.

Wolfmans World
Old 05-08-2003, 09:22:09 PM
Corey Wey

Steve: a word to the wisist, keep it away from any kind of salt or acid, don't even say the word salt around alum. or it will crumble. Do you have alum wheels on your car? or know someone who does, ask them how maney times they have to get there tires filled up with air. I personaly wouldn"t trust it with a little Nelson Bross. on it. Go steel at least you can weld it it need be Later Corey
Old 05-09-2003, 02:43:53 AM
DANIEL DORECE

Hi Steve; Do you know what the difference is between a dead skunk on the road and a dead lawyer on the road is? Theirs skid marks in front of the skunk!!!!!

DAN
Old 05-09-2003, 08:56:44 AM
Marty

Steve, if I remember correctly, you stated in a previous post you drive a Chevy S-10 truck. You also stated that it had pulled a trailer with a load just fine. Applying some common sense of course, in the event your S-10 is a std. shift trans., basicly your only limitation is hp. according to a small trailer manufacturer up this way. Do bear in mind that traction for stopping is a very important issue also unless you have good brakes with controller on the trailer & weight is distributed properly. With that said, the additional weight of the steel will more than pay for itself in satisfaction. ( you might need to add additional spring helpers in the rear of the truck for the additional tongue weight )