Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Carbide insert and holder information wanted

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 2398 times

Old 12-12-2015, 11:06:59 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Carbide insert and holder information wanted

I would suggest sticking with HSS(or cobalt) given the low hp and rpm of the machine. If you're going to use carbide, then the brazed carbide tools would be the best choice. Your machine won't have enough rigidity, rpm, or hp to take advantage of carbide inserts, as others have mentioned.

Positive rake inserts don't have much strength and neutral isn't much better. The strongest will be negative rake. Larger nose angles are stronger, as are larger nose radii. You'll need a softer grade of carbide to deal with interrupted cuts. Flood coolant will help, but it's terribly messy on an open machine. It'd be a lot less messy to set up an oil drip right above the tool.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2015, 09:15:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,711 Times in 497 Posts
Default Re: Carbide insert and holder information wanted

Thanks everyone
We have got some 1/2 shank tools with tcmt 32.52 inserts and I used them a bunch last week with good results.
Again they work best at near the top speed of the machine, and cut nicer when taking heavier cuts. Also did some light feed interrupted cuts and they handled it well.

So for now I'm sticking with them, and hss for the odd jobs where I need a weird ground end, or heavy interruptions.