Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Round post mill adjustments?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1300 times

Old 12-06-2015, 08:45:51 PM
Registered-II

Default Round post mill adjustments?

The mills that have the round post can they be adjusted so the head fits good and does not move around
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 09:56:44 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: mills

Manufacturers went away from round rams for a reason. That said, you can do good work with the things if you don't mind indicating the head regularly, adjusting as required, and if you don't get too ambitious with your cuts.

Of more concern is the fact that, as I said above, credible manufacturers abandoned the round rams many decades ago. So when you do find one of those machines for sale, the chances are good the thing will be worn out and sloppy, and incapable of good work without major contortions b the operator. This isn't a blanket statement, but more likely than not to be true.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 09:50:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,276 Times in 695 Posts
Default Re: mills

You position the head where you need it for the job you are doing and tighten the two bolts that hold the head on the column and it stays there. I have never had it move when tightened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 10:28:32 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Round post mill adjustments?

What kind of mill are you referring to? A really old mill with a horizontal round ram or one of the new, import "pattern engineered" drill mills that everyone seems to be selling these days?

I am not familiar with the old round overarm mills but I used a drill mill for a number of years and the short answer is, no, you cannot keep the head from rotating when you move it up and down. You really need to re-indicate the head every time you move it. But after a while you get good at it.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:25:12 PM
Registered-II

I have a very old Bridgeport with the round horizontal arm and once it is trammed in it stays put! The big disadvantage with it is that if you move the head in or out to be able to do a job, you have to tram it in every time! Most of my hobby work never requires me to move the head in or out so no real big deal!
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Anger For This Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 11:04:06 PM
Registered

I have an older round ram Bridgeport 1955 with a slightly newer 2J head. I find as a hobbyist I rarely or never have need to move the round ram in or out. I have to admit it was a challenge to get it trammed in. with the round ram, it is trammed and does hold.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:17:58 AM
Registered-II

I too have an old horizontal ram vertical mill and the ram definetly stays where I put it.
I also work on a friend's round COLUMN Chinese bench mill (like a 1 1/2 hp Rong Fu) and I have never had the head move once I locked it down. I do seem to remember that there are 2 things that need to be done to lock it. First, there is a jointed locking lever that needs to be tightened, but then there is another locking bolt that also needs to be snugged up.
If you had trouble with one of these, or if you heard that somebody else had trouble, I'll bet they we only using the locking lever and NOT tightening up the other locking bolt.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------