Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Mill table feed mod

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 2225 times

Old 01-13-2016, 12:17:17 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Mill table feed mod

In te 'before' pix it looked pretty gnarly. Did you break it all down? How did you clean up or remove the original paint? Did you remove it all down to bare metal, or was some original paint still on it? Did you prime? If so, with what? What top coat?

OK, a lot of questions but if you are going to show off good work you gotta expect them.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2016, 02:59:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,365 Times in 2,699 Posts
Default Re: Mill table feed mod

It's a ten footer. Machine tools back then used a very heavy coat of primer over the cast iron sometimes over 1/16" thick. I just went at the machine with the DA sander and wire wheels to smooth out nicks and gouges. No, I didn't break it down as each component weighs more than the sun. I had to disassemble it when we put it in and took it out of my partners basement x years ago. Once is enough.
Rattle canned it with $3.50 per can gray from the farm and barn store and it's done. I call it a #2 quality Earl Scheib job. Looks good from 10 feet.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post: