Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Pallet supports for workbench?

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 1345 times

Old 01-20-2016, 12:27:20 PM
Registered

Default Pallet supports for workbench?

Hi all;

I'm looking for ideas on a sturdy workbench that I could disassemble when needed.

The local Ace hardware store has these neat things to build a strong bench using pallets. 4 pillars that tie together and hold a hardwood pallet. Seems perfect!

The guys at the store report they were something available via their franchise many many years ago and they have no idea about sourcing them today.

Searching for "pallet supports" or similar terms brings up so much content that isn't what I'm looking for.

Has anything seen a solution like these?

Thanks for thoughts.

Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1sml.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	244219   Click image for larger version

Name:	2sml.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	244220  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 01:03:06 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Pallet supports for workbench?

I just bolt a 2x4 leg to each corner and screw in some braces.I've built many pallet benches some nice,lasting for years,some built in a hurry to use for a day
Old 01-20-2016, 02:48:10 PM
Subscriber

Why not use or build a couple of good SAW HORSES, They can be used for other uses after you don`t need the table and they store easy when not in use. All shops need saw horses.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:51:14 PM
Subscriber

Like these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	198
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	244235  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wheeler For This Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 11:46:45 PM
Registered

Great ideas and thanks for the link, that's the item all right.
I didn't mention that I am thinking pallets and something to help me get it set up and properly stable as I will be putting a few hundreds lbs of disassembled stationary engine on it
Old 01-21-2016, 02:00:51 AM
eMail NOT Working

The best thing to support a pallet at any height above the floor, is a forklift.

The second best, is a stack of pallets under it.

I wouldn't put legs on it like those shown above, and expect it to not gyrate and collapse to the side. There's a reason why they're designed the way they are... they're designed to support a load just far enough off the ground to get a pallet jack or forks under it, and do it at the lightest weight, simplest manufacturing method, and lowest cost.

If I can rip it apart with bare hands, or stomp it into pieces, it ain't strong enough to make a bench. Most pallets are so lame, that I just make my OWN... out of 4x4 posts, 2x8 planks, and top 'em with serious plywood... and after all that, I still wouldn't recommend making a workbench out'a them...
Old 01-21-2016, 07:30:27 AM
eMail NOT Working

hmmm... double posted somehow.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:24:49 PM
Registered

Thanks all for the cautionary notes.

When I first saw those supports in use, there were a few hundred pounds of salt and sand on the thing, which got me thinking about it being somethign that could meet my purposes.

I'll double-check how they have it braced to keep it from twisting, that's a great point. I have access to nice clean straight hardwood pallets.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34:32 PM
Registered-II

Brian,

You are in Northville, or your masthead says you are. Head over to Livonia or Novi and drive through some of the many industrial areas, searching for places that use large pallets made from 4x4's and 2x4's. Places that use fairly heavy stuff that needs to be well supported, such as glass, plexiglas, sheet metal, etc. or machinery or... who knows? Find a place that has a big stack of the things out back, stop, ask if you can have one or two and they will probably kiss you on both cheeks and ask you to take as many as you can manage to drag away. Sometimes you can find these pallets in the craigslist FREE ads.

I have used these pallets as a source of building material for decades. Most recently I got a bunch of heavy ash pallets, 8' and 10' long, with 4x4 runners and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 cross beams. I knocked 'em down and have built all sorts of good stuff with them since, including some strong tables to hold various machines, including a #3 DiAcro bender. I just finished a heavy garden planter made from these pallet parts. I have a workbench that is made of oak 4x4's and 2x4's, mortise and tenoned, doweled and bolted together, with a top made of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together. That bench will withstand a nuclear attack. To add mass to the bench, I added shelves and drawers and filled them with heavy stuff, like a 16" Cincinnati dividing head and a 12" rotary table. Handy storage, and keeps the bench from moving around.

The beauty of making your own bench from found materials is, you can build it the size and shape you want, as beastly heavy as you want, and can add whichever features you feel you need. You won't be stuck bending over some dumb bench made for a person who is a foot shorter than you are, or worrying if the bench can withstand the loads and stresses you will subject it to. And did I mention, with the exception of fasteners and the like, the bench will be completely FREE?

Were I contemplating a super nice woodworker's furniture making bench, I would be fussier about my choice of materials. But for general purpose super strong shop benches? I wouldn't consider anything else. The materials are there to be had. All you have to do is find them.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 08:41:39 PM
Subscriber

I dont think what is shown in your first pictures are pallets...how would you pick it with a fork lift...there are no notches.