Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Enco 3 phase mill powered from VFD

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1192 times

Old 01-05-2016, 12:37:09 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,072 Times in 651 Posts
Default Enco 3 phase mill powered from VFD

I picked 6 an Enco mill. No 3 phase in building. 3 HP 3 phase motor. Can I run it off a 3 HP VFD? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2016, 12:50:00 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,421 Times in 925 Posts
Default Re: Enco 3 phase mill powered from VFD

It can be done, and is getting done quite commonly now. You get variable speed and reversing out of the deal too. This guy has a video that should set you on the right track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqnfLHhuuUQ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 01-06-2016, 12:08:16 AM
Registered-I

It will take a bigger VFD to run the mill when you are using the VFD as the phase converter.
Alan
Old 01-06-2016, 12:35:37 PM
Registered-II

It's best to weigh all your options before shelling out your cash. In direct answer to your question, yes, you can use a VFD to run your mill motor, and it will perform as well as it did on real three phase power, plus give you some added advantages such as variable speed.

That said and true, is it your best option? The weakest link in many oriental machines is the crappy motor. I won't sit here and say they are ALL bad, but I have seen an awful lot of 'em, especially on cheaper machines. If this is the case with your machine, and if the motor is nothing special and has a standard NEMA frame, you may be able to replace it with a good US built motor for about what you'd pay for the VFD, and less if you are a good scrounger and can find a decent used motor.

If getting this thing up and running is all that is standing between you and a lucrative job, by all means get the VFD and be done with it. But if you have more time than money, or if you might like the idea of changing the motor, keep looking, assuming of course it's a standard frame motor.

A complicating factor is a power feed that runs off its own motor. You don't say whether that is the case here. If the mill does have a power feed motor, or a coolant pump motor, and those motors are also three phase, things can get a bit more complicated. Running multiple motors from a single VFD can be done, in some instances and on one level, but it will mess up the settings you programmed into the VFD to provide circuit protection and the like. Also if you use the VFD's speed changing function any other motors being powered from that source will also change speed commensurately. Of course if those ancillary motors run on single phase power, all of this is moot.

So, the final answer to your question is, "It depends."
Old 01-07-2016, 01:11:19 AM
eMail NOT Working

Certainly!

I slapped an antiquated Allen-Bradley drive 1305 type AA12A on my Bridgeport for exactly the same reason... oh... that, and being antiquated, it was $40...