Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Question for Wisconsin Experts

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4065 times

Old 07-03-2005, 08:49:33 AM
Subscriber

Default Question for Wisconsin Experts

I was given a National Mower Co riding gang mower with a large Wiscinsin engine. Unfortunately the id tag is missing from the engine. I can take pictures but need to know what you experts need to see to tell me what engine I have. I do know it has a Bendix carb (but maybe all Wisconsins have that kind of carb). It looks, to me, like the AEN replacement engine on the Bolens Ridemaster I just bought.

I've been told that it needs a carburetor kit. Is it likely that I can find one?

I'm fairly sure the mower is at least 30 and maybe 40 or 45 years old.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 09:28:28 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Question for Wisconsin Experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Keifer
I was given a National Mower Co riding gang mower with a large Wiscinsin engine. Unfortunately the id tag is missing from the engine. I can take pictures but need to know what you experts need to see to tell me what engine I have. I do know it has a Bendix carb (but maybe all Wisconsins have that kind of carb). It looks, to me, like the AEN replacement engine on the Bolens Ridemaster I just bought.

I've been told that it needs a carburetor kit. Is it likely that I can find one?

I'm fairly sure the mower is at least 30 and maybe 40 or 45 years old.
if it is one cylinder it is most likley an a or b series parts are easily found go to ebay there is also several deelers on there look for rock creek.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:39:16 AM
Subscriber

Leonard,
I'd carefully dissasemble that carb and clean it out. I've got 3 Wisconsins on Beaver tractors. They are AKN and BKN varieties. They use Marvel-Schleber carbs, and full rebuild kits (jets included) are not available, just the needle valves and gaskets. I had good results just carefully cleaning and removing the welch plugs to get the idle circuit cleaned out. I did not use a rebuild kit and certainly you have nothing to lose but time in doing so. Rockcreek did have the kits but again they are not the full ones like you would see on briggs varieties.
Good luck
Mike
Old 07-03-2005, 06:37:31 PM
Subscriber

Well, just a general picture of the front & the carb side would be a good start. Is the carb a side-draft or up-draft? If it is an up-draft, does it bolt directly to the block, or does it use a seperate intake manifold? If it uses a seperate manifold, does the exhaust screw into the same casting, or directly into the block? Does the cylinder jug un-bolt from the crank case, or is it all one casting? Does it have an outboard magneto, flywheel magneto, or distributer & points? What are the numbers on the carb & the magneto? If you are going to pull the head, the casting number on it is a good identifier. But the 2 basic pictures will narrow it down a lot.