Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

say goodbye to huge bessemers

this thread has 78 replies and has been viewed 27915 times

Old 04-26-2013, 10:36:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,395 Times in 1,155 Posts
Default say goodbye to huge bessemers

1000 hp tandem cooper bessemers.

this is one of, if not the, last big pumping stations left in america. the clean air act said, replace it boys. dr. paul harvey, stewart, and dylan came down from coolspring for a visit and we went and spent the afternoon here. the last run day for this station in rockport wv is may 12, 2013. had a great time and it was sad to think of the fate of these beauties. hundres of thousands of hours service for over half a century, and they will be scrapped and replaced by 2 3606 cats. does anyone here think the cats will be that much better for mankind. you might be able to go to your local toyoto dealer and get a piece of one of these.

The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 327 Posts
Default Re: say goodbye to huge bessemers

WOW! That place needs to be declared a national historic site and preserved. Thanks for sharing the video with us.
Keith
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Keith Kinney For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 11:19:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,677 Times in 1,192 Posts

The last I heard was that they were going to put catalytic converters on the exhaust and keep them running. I guess that changed. The eccentric engine is a C&G Cooper engine like the one at Rough and Tumble. It was built in 1914 so it has been in continous service for 99 years. I would think that would be a world record for a gas engine. It probably has over 600,000 hours on it. Are there any clubs out there that need a big engine for display?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 04-26-2013, 11:31:00 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 3,482 Times in 2,060 Posts

Magnificent machines.

What are they pumping?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48:50 PM
Registered-III

they compress natural gas from new orleans and distribute it all points north. there are other compressor stations all along the line, but they are modernized. in this video you can see the 136 ton beasts move on their bases

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hazzard View Post
The last I heard was that they were going to put catalytic converters on the exhaust and keep them running. I guess that changed. The eccentric engine is a C&G Cooper engine like the one at Rough and Tumble. It was built in 1914 so it has been in continous service for 99 years. I would think that would be a world record for a gas engine. It probably has over 600,000 hours on it. Are there any clubs out there that need a big engine for display?
hey bill
the fella today told me that after 130 thousand hours, engine set #1 was torn down and the cylinder wear was .006. they put it back together and now it's on 31,000 hours since then and going strong.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:10:28 AM
Registered-III

Amazing footage, thanks for sharing!

Is there a way to visit the site before it is shut down? Not sure how much has been done but it would be nice to take some high res photos of the place.

Mike
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,089 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Fielder View Post

hey bill
the fella today told me that after 130 thousand hours, engine set #1 was torn down and the cylinder wear was .006. they put it back together and now it's on 31,000 hours since then and going strong.
Did a little math. 0.006" of wear in 130,000 hours means that each stroke took away less than one fourth of a picometer. That's one four-thousandth of a nanometer. That's 0.00000000000025 meters. That's tiny.

Or, put another way, every 6 minutes they would wear away the thickness of one hydrogen atom.

Any updates on this station? Has any progress been made towards either in-situ preservation as a museum or moving the existing equipment elsewhere? Has the suggestion been pitched to the gas company heads, considering that Cooper is likely the most-run engine in existence anywhere in the world?

Edit: more number crunching. Each one of the pistons in the Cooper has traveled over 3.5 million miles. To the moon and back 7 times.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eric M. For This Post:
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11:40 PM
Registered-III

Coopers at Rockport
I had the total enjoyment of watching these engines run for 4 hours. Although they will shut down for the summer soon, they are to run again in September to top off the storage field. Rod and I will try to keep all posted when this will happen. Scrapping will not be until Jan. 2014. This is a friendly station and I think that anyone could stop by, talk to the engineer, and see the engines this Summer. The station is located just south of Rockport, WV. If any organization wishes to save one, especially the 1914 eccentric valve drive Cooper, it is free. I have the contact information. Any ideas?
Paul Harvey

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

Looking at some of the comments of the Rockport engines, i have chatted with the two engineers who did the emission testing. They had all in compliance with catalysts except the one rebored cylinder on the 1914 Cooper. They felt they could also bring that into compliance when the company pulled the plug on them. Interesting!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41:45 AM
Registered-III

thanks paul for your input

I truly hope that we can convince them to save this as a back up station, maybe with weekend or monthly runs

dreamin's free
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rod Fielder For This Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,064 Posts

I have always wanted to see an engine museum in WV and this would be a great place to just shut the doors and hand the title over to the new 501c that could be started to preserve and protect the heritage of the industry in WV.

Everyone needs to take off the 8th and take their "BIG" engines to the facility and run them...........and call the news and the Gov. and try to preserve them....

Whenever my dad and I went out looking for engines when I was a child he used to stop and wells and compressor stations and we would go in and visit and watch the engines. My favorite was the one at Burnsville because it was steam

I will go out in the garage now and let my other WV engines know that they are losing some of their kin-folk in a short time.......

They won't even get to RUST IN PEACE..............
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07:14 PM
Registered-III

Roger Kriebel showed me a copy of a company magazine called "The Pipeline". It was put out by United Fuel Gas Co. in 1955. In it is an article about the Rockport station. The station was actually brand new in 1955 with the first compression of gas taking place July 3rd 1955. All three engines were put in used from two older stations. The station was built with UFG employees instead of outside contractors and the total construction costs were $1.21 million.

The eccentric engine came from Trace Fork in Jackson County and the cam engines came from Lewis in Roane County. The building came from Lewis. One of the employees moved from Trace Fork to Rockport which is 20 miles away. That man worked on the construction of Trace Fork in 1942. So Trace Fork was only in operation for 12 years before it was shut down, so the eccentric Cooper was at an even earlier station at one time. So that engine has been in at least three stations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11:27 AM
Registered-II

Sure hate to see all this wonderful old gear coming to the end of its economic life, and wish that at least one unit could be left as a running display for special occasions, but I fear that WP Klein in Post 21 said it all when a reliable source pointed out that in 1916, these engines consumed gas at the rate of 13000 BTU per HP/HR. In 1958, engines used 6200 BTU/HP/HR, and in 2013 I imagine current technology could halve that consumption again. Can not imagine any business giving away 7% of the gas they transport, when current engines could likely do it for 1.5%.
The difference is likely more than their current profit margins. These are the brutal realities they deal with. Hate to rain on your parade. Combustor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 06:12:21 PM
Registered

Don't panic yet; they're not all gone yet. I saw some Type 24s running in Havens, KS, in October: 1800 BHP @ 125 RPM because they were field-turbocharged some years ago. My employer has some Type 26s sitting on ready in a building now: rated 1600 BHP @ 125 RPM, not turbocharged.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

Hello from the C-B fans at my employer, with the initials TGP. We have Type 26s still available.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wascator For This Post:
Old 12-16-2013, 09:24:33 PM
Registered-III

Do you have any pictures?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50:15 PM
Registered

Yes; let me figure out how to get them to you.
Understand this is my employer so don't send them around and get me in trouble.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

OK, if you have a smartphone, I can send a short movie of the ones in Havens right now. PM me the number.
Otherwise, I have to figure it out.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:05:21 PM
Registered

Well, my movie is not nearly as good nor complete, compared to the ones posted earlier. The engines are the same, only larger bore.
We have 9 Type 26s (26 inch bore).
Because of the low speed the gas compressors are very efficient.
These engines are very labor-intensive to operate and to repair. It takes us about 2 weeks to unstack one side to replace an inner power cylinder. The parts are getting very difficult to get.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wascator For This Post:
Old 04-27-2014, 09:56:47 PM
Registered-III

The Cooper engines in Rockport have been shut down for good now. The new compressor station is under construction and it is expected to be in operation sometime in August. The Coopers will probably be scrapped sometime after then. I have been corrected on the dates of manufacture of the three engines. The two cam engines were built in 1927 and the eccentric engine was built in 1925 although Columbia records indicate it was installed in 1928.

We are hoping to get permission from Columbia to take some spare parts from the eccentric engine for our engine at Rough and Tumble. We are hoping to get a complete cylinder with valves and a main cross head and connecting rod. We already have gotten the small spare parts they had in storage along with some foundry patterns for some parts for our engine. So far no one has come forward to try to save a complete engine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post: