Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Maytag engine

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 3014 times

Old 12-10-2015, 11:48:06 PM
Registered-III

Default Maytag engine

I was given a Maytag engine it has stamped on flywheel FY ED 4 I don't see a carb I know nothing at all about this engine only that it is a 2 cycle . Just elbow attached to bottom of engine with flange where carb would go not stuck can I get a carb for this. I heard there a bugger to get running.

Ronny
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2015, 12:42:27 AM
Registered

Default Re: Maytag engine

The elbow you are referring to is the exhaust. The carb. is on the opposite side of the crankcase.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sprinter For This Post:
Old 12-11-2015, 05:27:35 PM
Registered-I

I suggest you post a picture or determine what model you have by some method. Most likely bet is a Model 92. Then from what I'm reading into your questions you'll be well advised to go to YouTube, search your model number and Shopdogsam. Be prepared for a long trip to "The East Coast of Arkansas!"
The Following User Says Thank You to CLBetten For This Post:
Old 12-11-2015, 07:54:48 PM
Registered-III

Are carbs available I know it doesn't have one no fuel line either can hear some fuel sloshing in base. wonder when it ran last.

Ronny
Old 12-12-2015, 12:47:51 AM
Registered-III

Well looked at some pics here and it is a 92 it does have a carb and seems to be all there except rod device to shut engine down would like to start it as is its nit stuck and has compression If I have spark what next fuel mixture ? Anything I need to check or do ?

Ronny
Old 12-12-2015, 11:41:53 AM
Subscriber

Assuming your engine is a Mod. 92, you will find a lot of very informative help in Shopdogsam's videos (assuming you can get past the hillbilly accent and grammar). He really knows his stuff. Since you don't know when your engine was last running, you will be well advised to drain the fuel tank (plug on bottom or lower edge of tank casting). I drain my engines after every show, and even then I still occasionally have problem with sticking check valves. At a minimum, you should remove the fuel mixer and thoroughly clean it of all old fuel residue. Unscrew the brass fuel pick-up tube and carefully unscrew the end with the strainer. This will allow you to ensure that the check valve is not stuck (as they usually are in engines which have been sitting around for a long time). The check valve will be either a BB size ball, or a flat disk with a small notch out of it. These must be thoroughly cleaned of all residue. New gaskets are readily available from some of Smokstak sponsors.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thiggy For This Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 01:46:11 AM
Registered-III

I assume I have to bottom of engine apart fuel tank to get at the fuel pick up etc. ? How about vacuum carb ? I can her fuel sloshing when I move it but its been a long time since this Eng. has been run

Ronny
Old 12-13-2015, 10:00:01 AM
Subscriber

The fuel pick up tube is removed with the fuel mixer (carburetor). Remove the four large brass screws on the cast aluminum mixer, and pull it straight up, as the tube points down into the fuel tank. It would probably be best if you disassembled the engine enough to remove the tank and clean it thoroughly
The Following User Says Thank You to thiggy For This Post:
Old 12-13-2015, 12:12:23 PM
Registered-III

Thiggy:

Well oiled up anything outside that moves put little in cylinder moves real free now there is spark has # 25 spark plug not the biggest spark I've ever seen but has one. Going to pull base of engine apart clean it up thanks for the help will have more ? By the way cover on flywheel for acess to points missing would like to find one.

Ronny
Old 12-14-2015, 01:09:37 AM
Registered-III

The cover on flywheel for access to points etc.. is missing Anyone here have one they want to part with ? also no air cleaner on this Eng. just a brass lock ring and a hole where this ring is located on carb is this how this is made or is something missing. I've seen many after looking at many videos that like like this no air cleaner.

Thanks

Ronny

---------- Post added 12-14-2015 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 12-13-2015 at 11:11 PM ----------

Boy I hate asking all these ?'s but I know nothing at all about these engines. I see there are a few ball bearings in the mechanism that is hooked to foot pedal where the gear teeth are see no grease cup or anything use pin greaser on this ? I want to clean this thing up but don't have expertise to tear it apart. Going to clean what has been previously suggested . Any other steps I need to do before I refuel and give it a few cranks ?

Ronny
Old 12-14-2015, 02:08:20 AM
Subscriber

No problem with the questions, Ronny. Some of these engines had a small cannister air filter, while others had what yours apparently did - just a circle of screen wire to keep the bugs out held in place with a brass lock ring. These engines have no ball bearings, only sleeve bushings. I suspect the balls to which you refer are part of the kick starter ratchet system. It contains 4 (I believe) balls around 3/8" diameter. You do not want to oil these balls, as they will become gummed up and not work properly. I would once again suggest that you view Shopdogsam's you-tube videos on the Maytag 92 engines.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...09910813,d.eWE

Last edited by thiggy; 12-14-2015 at 02:12:51 AM. Reason: Add URL
Old 12-14-2015, 02:17:35 AM
Registered-III

Too late already oiled the balls I'll just spray some kerosene or p[penetrating oil in there will cut the oil . By the way High test gas or non ethanol ?

Ronny
Old 12-14-2015, 02:20:41 AM
Subscriber

Ethanol free would be preferable, but I use regular. Be sure to mix non-detergent 30 weight motor oil with the gas in a 16:1 ratio. Never, never use modern 2-cycle oil in these engines.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:34:01 AM
Registered-III

I went to shop dog hard to follow videos not in order but very informative I find more info here I just spent at least an hour reading all the posts only up to page 13 lots of info here some real knowledgeable people here. I work at local funeral home haven't had much time lately to get at this project . This engine actually was a friend of mine father who passed away last week and he wanted me to have his dads engine. His dad was a good friend of mine He wasn't a collector and his son didn't know if and when he ever ran this Eng. I know its been setting a long time but was inside.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

I have a funeral tomorrow but I hope to be able to at least clean the fuel tank and pick up tube. I don't have a gasket to replace the old one on gas tank or a carb gasket I found a site on eBay that has a lot of stuff I also need to replace the cover on flywheel I'm Shure if I tried I could make one on band saw .

Ronny
Old 12-14-2015, 10:15:21 PM
Registered-III

I need the plate that covers access hole to points on flywheel I was told there's two types one with straight holes and one with tapered is the tapered holes really noticeable Don't know what I have I did find it was made in 1938 ;

Ronny
Old 12-16-2015, 12:23:50 AM
Registered-III

Still looking for points access cover for model 92 flywheel .

Ronny
Old 12-17-2015, 12:30:00 AM
Registered-III

Still looking for a cover. Spraying carb bolts and gas tank bolts with PB blaster hoping to get them apart with out breaking them off .

Ronny
Old 12-17-2015, 10:50:51 AM
Subscriber

I think there might be a cover plate in the EngineAds, but I am not sure it is the right part. Just type in "gov plate" in the search window. Not sure if it is what you are looking for but it kind of looks right - the little arc-shaped cover plate that goes on the flywheel and allows access to the points and governor weight? Someone who knows these engines better could probably verify if this is right or not.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:39:55 PM
Registered-III

beezerbil I think your on base an the cover. I know as much about this Eng. as you do . Never had one but as you can see in my previous post price was right. spraying bolts on top of cast fuel tank last two days The one you need cut out socket for I put big screw driver in it put pressure on it hit top of screw driver with hammer loosened right up. After breaking many brass slotted bolts on my piston pumps my Harley mechanic son inlaw showed me that trick.

Ronny

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

HEY thiggy The set screw on side of fuel mixer (carburetor) is missing do you really need it ? got to get set of gaskets before I pull tank and mixer apart. Know any good Maytag parts venders here so I can get what I need ?

Ronny
Old 12-18-2015, 05:41:37 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,544 Times in 4,219 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Maytag engine

On the base of the mixer, there should be a brass needle and a pointer. It adjusts the fuel mixture. If it is missing, you will need it to run the engine. When closed (all the way to the right), it should stop pointing to the right at a 90 degree anglle from vertical. It (the pointer) should not hit the tank top. The pointer adjustment for proper position is made by setting the needls lightly closed, loosening the lock nut behind the pointer itself and placing the pointer in the proper position. Lightly snug the nut and make sure the pointer locks in place on the hex on the needle itself. Then lock the nut. Once done turn the pointer 180 degrees to the left and kick engine over. Once it starts, set pointer straight up and adjust for best running. There should be a spring against the fuel needle that keeps the adjustment from changing during engine operation. Many times, the pointer gets lost if the nut backs off or the threads get stripped. Replacements are available. Once set, there is nothing further to adjust except the fuel setting. This engine uses no choke - openning the fuel 1/2 turn from seated should flood the engine in short order. NO more than 3 kicks with the adjuster in start position! 1 cup SAE 30 NON SETERGENT OIL or Type TC W-3 2 stroke OIL to one gallon of gas only! No synthetics, no premix, as the plain brinze bearings and rods won't get enough lube from the modern stuff. NON alcholized gas OK, otherwise use high test. It won't degrade as fast in the tank. If you are to let the engine set for more than30 days, drain the tank and kick over with the fuel needle wide open, or run it out of gas and then mop out the tank as best you can to prevent carb gum up for next time.

You can check with Tom S or Mark Shulaw here on the Stak by PM or with Zach Northway on EBAY for your parts needs. Keep us advised on your progress!

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: