Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

hybrid water heater

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 6844 times

Old 02-06-2014, 01:06:58 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: hybrid water heater

I didn't notice if anyone mentioned replacing the anode in the tank. I replace mine every 6-7 years and I never buy a new heater. You need the rod (about $25), a 1-1/16 socket and a long breaker bar. Your frequency of replacement may vary. It depends to some degree on your water. I have a gas heater.

I have a stock of eight or so magnesium anode rods on hand. I occasionally replace them for friends.

After you do it once or twice, you can do it in a very few minutes. Do a search online to buy the rods.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 08:11:43 AM
Subscriber

My 50 gal electric water heater is around 50 years old. My grandpa installed it, doing away with one of those little "pig" type coal/wood fired water heaters. We must have pretty good water here, as I don't even remember when either of the elements have been changed. A friend 5 miles away has so much lime in his water, he changes his elements annually.

During the winter months, the wood stove heats most of the water in the tank. I have a timer setup that switches the water heater power on from 4:30 to 5:30 am. That way if the wood stove hasn't heated the water enough, the Mrs. is guaranteed a hot shower in the morning....makes for a happier Mrs., if the water is warm. I'm thinking on making a solar water heater for the summer months. The water heater seems to contribute about $40 to $60 per month to the electric bill for the two of us. Averaged over the last year our kw-hr price here works out to $.15/kw-hr. I'm thinking I could recover the cost of materials for the solar heater in one summer of use. If I buy one of those fancy differential controllers, it might take a little longer to recover the costs...but who said going green was going to be cheap.

Rick
Old 04-20-2014, 05:10:14 AM
Registered

They say the heat pump will use about 1/5 the power a standard electric heater uses i have seen them.
I suppose you could use the cold air in summer as a bonus to cool the house. It would be the easiest fitment.

On demand gas heater use about 500mJ (eg zip heater bosch rinnai etc )supply they chew through gas but have no storage tank- just check the gas line size is correct.

If your not in a frost zone you can try the Evacuated tube solar heater with a gas or electric booster or combine it with the heat pump system there is no reason you cannot have two bites of the cherry just a little higher capital out in the first place.
Or you can put solar panels on the roof and go for all electric or variants listed above. That makes 3 bites at the cherry.
Over here they have evacuated tube systems for large houses just to heat the house, obviously they have a fair sized storage tank about 200 litres per module.
You can get solar tiles as well as panels for the house.
Just some ideas i have supplier contacts kicking around here if you would like to compare brands etc.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:51:24 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

I only know enough about thermodynamics to be dangerous but that won't stop me from commenting on the heat pump/hot water heater idea.

As I understand it, the efficiency of a heat pump (air cooler mode) falls when the outside (water heater) temperature approaches that of the area to be heated or cooled.

If you are using the heat pump with a large amount of water (thousands of gallons) as a heat/cold sink, it should work okay but once you try to heat the water (the outside) much above the temperature of the air inside the house, it doesn't work very well.

As I understand it, the heat pump systems that use a large heat sink in a well work fine but if the well isn't big enough or there isn't a large enough coil in the well, the efficiency all goes to pot.

I'm a skeptic when it comes to some of the "green" ideas. I guess I'm just an old fogey.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:40:16 AM
Registered

Here is the link to a system,

http://www.sanden-hot-water.com.au/why-choose-sanden

it is or will be just looking at it effected by ambient temperature of the air. The air you could say is the heat sink or Cool sink in this case as your taking heat from the air and transferring it to the water and cooling the air.

They are using a stainless steel tank as well.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

Obviously the colder the air the less heat energy in it so the system one would think be working harder during those times.