Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

E15 in Newer Cars

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 1898 times

Old 04-08-2019, 09:07:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,267 Times in 659 Posts
Default Re: E15 in newer cars

I've said before my old 1988 Chevy Nova would get very nearly 40 MPG on 100% gasoline, but would be somewhere around 30-32 MPG on 10% ethanol. and I could feel a difference between the fuels on that, as the 10% ethanol the mixture would be off enough to be running hot and lacking power.

Have repeated the same experiment on my 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage, but both times so far I've actually gotten a ~2MPG increase on the E10 compared to the 100% gasoline. I believe this is because the modern EFI controls are able to take advantage of E10's knock resistance to tune the engine more aggressively and get an efficiency gain as well as compensating for the change in mixture that is required with the Ethanol fuel.

So its really only a problem for vehicles older than the mid 2000s, which weren't designed to deal with the E10 fuel and will need adjustments as well as having issues with the ethanol attacking the seals.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2019, 01:34:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,719 Times in 973 Posts

well after a month running 100% gasoline I have the results, yes running 100% gets better mpg, a whopping 1.4 more mpg improvment.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:45:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
well after a month running 100% gasoline I have the results, yes running 100% gets better mpg, a whopping 1.4 more mpg improvment.
Figure your Miles Per Dollar on each of them and see if it's worth it or not.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:12:56 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Figure your Miles Per Dollar on each of them and see if it's worth it or not.

to me its a, NO BRAINER! last tankfull i ran preminum with ethanol, we will see what that results. 10 cents cheaper than 100%. folks i do the math, YMMV but these are honest results based on what is avalible in my area. I sugguest you do your own math in your area with what is avalible.
Old 05-11-2019, 10:21:42 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Are you sure you were running 100%?
There was a fella would take a sample of gas at every fill-up and add water to it to see how much ethanol was in it. He found ethanol in some supposedly pure gas too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 08:23:41 AM
Subscriber

power i suppose anything is possible, I do recall one time i had to take two squirt trucks out and pump a gas station dry. someone got their numbers crossed up when they placed their order, tanker driver ended up having a few hundred gallons of diesel left over and guess where he dumped it, thats right, rignt into the gas storage! they had myself and another driver go out and pump it, we brought it back to the terminal and put it in one of our empty storage tanks then they pumped a whole tractor trailer load of gas in the same tank. that stuff went to several different stations a 1000 gallon at a time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy T For This Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 10:35:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
to me its a, NO BRAINER! last tankfull i ran preminum with ethanol, we will see what that results. 10 cents cheaper than 100%. folks i do the math, YMMV but these are honest results based on what is avalible in my area. I sugguest you do your own math in your area with what is avalible.
Been There Done That.

Never had any measurable difference in mpg between them so I always ran the cheapest I could get for more mp$.

A few years ago I tried a different station than the 2 or 3 I normally used and noticed an increase in mpg (still marked as "Up To 10%" like all the others) and have been buying there ever since. An Added Bonus is they're usually $0.01 to $0.05 a gallon cheaper than everywhere else so I enjoy the higher mpg AND Lower mp$ at the same time.

In 40+ years of driving (and checking mileage on EVERY Tank) I've never noticed any difference in mileage or performance from one brand to another so I'm still at a bit of a loss to explain why I get better mileage Now all the sudden, but Circle-K consistently gives me better mileage than Mobil and Shell and Sinclair and Sunoco and Marathon and everything else I've used over the years.