Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Bad Gas?

this thread has 188 replies and has been viewed 20152 times

Old 06-06-2013, 05:17:22 PM
Kpack

Default Re: Bad Gas?

I like what smokin bob is saying about the rubber causing a bleach like substance. It may explain some of the white crude in carburetors
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
I like what smokin bob is saying about the rubber causing a bleach like substance. It may explain some of the white crude in carburetors
I do think it's possible for some type of interaction to occur, but realistically speaking, how much "bleach", or whatever would leach out of 2 or 3 feet of fuel line? I can't see it being a never-ending, perpetual supply. Otherwise, we've discovered a cheap way to make bleach.....simply set up a loop of fuel running through a coil of this fuel line, and just keep recirculating it, and extracting the bleach!
Old 06-07-2013, 01:30:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

BobRR,

"Are you and the guy that bought the truck related?"

What part of the following statement don't you understand? Friend of mine had the light come on shortly after purchasing a new truck"

If he was a relative, I would have stated thus. Anyway, what difference would it have made if he was a relative rather than a friend? He obviously didn't think it was important to waste time trying to fix something that had no effect on the operation of the vehicle.

When someone else says that their engine light has been on for a couple of years, kinda validates my point exactly.

Bill
Old 06-07-2013, 06:49:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,889 Times in 3,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post

When someone else says that their engine light has been on for a couple of years, kinda validates my point exactly.

Bill
Except that mine was on a 12-14 year old car when it came on..... NOT on a New Car.

Didn't exactly validate your point as mine was out of warranty where your 'friends' should have been Fixed by the dealership, not have them tell him to remove the bulb.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27:15 AM
Subscriber

Otto,

You're so focused on trivializing anything I've got to say in regard to ethanol gas and now the check engine light, you can't or won't see the point I'm making. That being, regardless of new or old vehicle, the check engine light is an unreliable piece of computer crap. It's odd how we got along without it for so long and now every new vehicle has one.

The first time the light comes on I will check the oil, coolant, air filter etc. After that the light gets ignored. Period.

Bill
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01:34 PM
Subscriber

No Bill.... You are missing the point.

I will tend to ignore the check engine myself after checking as many things as I can too, (on an older vehicle), as long it doesn't affect the performace or gas milage. But with the earlier versions of the computers where you could jump accross a couple terminals with a paper clip and read the code without taking it in to a shop, I have found throttle position sensors and oxygen sensors making the light come on in one of my cars, both of which I changed the offending parts and made the light go out. My 94 Chevy truck, it came on because of the EGR valve which I also fixed.

The car I mentioned that it had been on for 2 years, was 12 years old at the time and well beyond the warranty period, and as long as it still ran good, I didn't worry about it. Whatever it was that did make the light come on, seemed to like the old gas, because it went out when I used it and came back on later after going back to nothing but new gas. Bad sensor somewhere got out of adjustment, as I suggested, probably TPS or oxygen sensor, but being an older car, I didn't worry about it since it didn't affect how it ran.

What I'm trivializing if you want to call it that, is the ignorance of the dealership you mentioned telling a customer to remove the light on a new car. If it was a new car.... it was under warranty and Should Have Been Fixed for free by the dealership. Most new cars have at least 5 year, 50,000 mile warranty on emission related parts, some even longer than that, even if you're the second, third or fifth owner. A dealership telling the customer to remove the check engine light on a new vehicle is just plain irresponsible.... That dealeship should have been shut down. Nothing trivial about it.

Saying that the lights are unreliable just shows your lack of ability with dealing with anything new whether it's computers or ethanol.

They're Both here, and are here to stay whether you get with the program or not.

If you can't deal with either of them, then maybe you should go back to driving nothing but pre-1970s vehicles at 10-15mpg and quit complaining. The light comes on when a sensor tells it to come on. If the light was bad.... IT wouldn't come on at all. It's possible that one of the sensors went bad even though the part it reads is still good, but that check engine light tells you when there is a problem. Removing the light makes it impossible to know when something else gets out of parameter, whether from a bad sensor, or some part actually going bad and tripping the sensor. Removing the light is like removing the hot light or the low oil pressure light on an older car so it appears that everything is OK when it isn't. When the oil light started coming on in my 79 ford pickup truck at stop signs, I put my foot on the gas and raised the rpm just enough to get the light to go out, keeping the pressure high enough to avoid spinning a bearing before I had time to work on it. If I had removed the light, I would have had to wait until the pressure got low enough for the lifters to start rattling or something else happen to it before I would have known there was a problem. The lights aren't always an unreliable piece of computer crap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 02:08:04 PM
Registered

Well, if we're being trivial, the sensor itself doesn't turn the light on....it only relays info to whatever is currently passing for an ECM these days, which in turn switches on the light after determining that something is not within normal operating parameters....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprkplug For This Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42:48 PM
Subscriber

If it was a new car.... it was under warranty and Should Have Been Fixed for free by the dealership."

Well, you might be right in this regard, but that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

After several trips to the dealership prior to the offer to remove the bulb from the engine light, my friend decided it wasn't worth the hassle to pursue the matter further.

As far as I'm concerned this discussion has ended.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Sherlock For This Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 02:46:53 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
Well, if we're being trivial, the sensor itself doesn't turn the light on....it only relays info to whatever is currently passing for an ECM these days, which in turn switches on the light after determining that something is not within normal operating parameters....
True..... and you've been thanked again.