Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Filling a Propane Tank From a Propane Tank Questions

this thread has 69 replies and has been viewed 4081 times

Old 11-27-2018, 10:12:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,274 Times in 696 Posts
Default Re: Filling a Propane Tank From a Propane Tank Questions

I bought a 100# bottle one time and the guy filled it too full. When it set out in the sun, it would fart once in a while until we used some out of it. It has a spring loaded pop off valve in it. I can see the spring.

Back in the 50's some guys would use an air hose hooked to their propane tank to air their tires up.

I remember when people took a spark plug out of an engine and screwed in an adapter hooked to an air hose to air their tires up.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,171 Times in 2,054 Posts

Partially filled 2 more tanks yesterday, partial fill seems to be the best I can do. Temps are dropping even lower in next few days, hope I can still do at least partial fills.

Anyone know what type of pumps are used to pump propane? I know it will require a Hazardous Location motor (I have that already), not sure what type of pump to look for.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:13:56 PM
Subscriber

D Girl, lets see if we can get this figured out. Here is a picture of my propane bottle off my camper. It has the new type valve. When I open the slotted screw, propane (gas) comes out, the bottle isn't hooked to anything. Does your bottle have a valve that looks like this? I called my propane guy to see how to fill these bottles. He uses the pump on the truck but he think you should be able to vent the bottle and liquid propane should flow in. He thinks you may have to vent the valve on your big tank before you hook the hose up to the little bottle. Open the valve on the big tank a little until liquid runs out. Once you have the supply hooked to the small bottle, open the valve on the bottle slowly than open the vent. Don't do this in the house. Let me know how it works. He said you don't want to buy a pump. You should be able to go to your supplier and ask them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00088.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	323589  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 11-27-2018, 05:50:58 PM
Subscriber

Yes, that is what my valve looks like, and I open the little screw on side to bleed the tank. Just filled last 2 bottles, again only partial fill. I will try bleeding hose next time to see if that makes a difference. When filling, if I close the bleed valve (so I can hear) it sounds like liquid is just dribbling into tank, and dribble stops about a minute after bleeder is closed.

Did a search for propane pumps this morning and found this http://www.krug-products.com/custom/products , scroll down to "Hand Pump", anyone tried/used one of these?
Old 11-27-2018, 07:09:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

I have a couple of horizontal 20 lb tanks for my camper that fill very slowly. I think it is a problem with the OPD. Venting doesn't seem to help much (liquid comes out of the vent when the liquid hose is open) and I have found that if I shut off the liquid line, vent the tank for a few seconds, shut the vent, then open the liquid line again until I hear the flow stop. Repeat until full. It is a real pain. Even with a pump, those tanks will quit taking liquid before they are full.
However, every normal BBQ 20 lb tank I have will fill completely without any problem. I crack the bleeder and leave it cracked while filling. When liquid comes out the bleeder, shut the liquid line off and you are at 80% full.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:03:33 PM
Subscriber

D Girl, you need to leave the bleed valve open to vent some gas so the liquid will flow into the small bottle. When liquid comes out, shut the vent and stop filling. When you are opening the valves on the propane tanks, do it slowly so the pressure equalizes in the valve so they don't shut off.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:14:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

First of all some of you guys have me so Scared I am going out and shut off the Propane supply to my house and will never go into a Dangerous Gas Station to fill my vehicles again

Now that we have that out of the way modern liquid taps and Propane cylinders have an Excess Flow valve. If the Propane line gets ruptured it will close and propane flow will almost stop. Handy safety device so if you open the valves too fast with an empty hose propane will flow too fast and the valve will snap shut limiting flow to almost nothing. The reason it don't stop completely is so it will reset when you close the valves. This even happens if I open the valve on my camper tank too fast when the propane lines are empty.

So what I do is open the liquid tap just a little and purge the air out of the hose then connect it to the small cylinder. You can open the valve on the small tank at this time. Then open the liquid tap valve Slowly so you don't trip the excess flow valve then open the 80% bleeder valve on the small tank.

If I fill them myself I can get 19 to 21 pounds in the average cylinder. I have gotten as Little as 13 pounds of propane in the full 20 pound cylinders that you get at the gas stations and home stores

Some places say they give a Full 17 pounds in a 20 pound cylinder. If you fill a 20 pound cylinder to 80% it will hold 20 pounds of propane.

Come to think of I believe I have one of those hand pumps around here but I have never used it because what are you going to do with a pump full of liquid propane when you are done filling 3 or 4 tanks.

I don't recommend venting any propane in a highly populated area as some Cellfone Hero will smell the odorant in the propane and call 911

I've been playing with a Dangerous Gas, High Pressure Steam, and have even repaired bad weld on a 500 Gal propane tank with an arc welder and I am still here to tell about it
Old 11-27-2018, 09:02:45 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heins View Post
D Girl, you need to leave the bleed valve open to vent some gas so the liquid will flow into the small bottle. When liquid comes out, shut the vent and stop filling. When you are opening the valves on the propane tanks, do it slowly so the pressure equalizes in the valve so they don't shut off.
That is what I have tried doing and still not getting a full tank. I've tried barely cracking bleeder, I've tried opening bleeder and just letting it flow, I think its boiling off as fast as its flowing into tank because I just can't get a full bottle. Starting to think I need to have the propane guy either show me what I'm doing wrong, or figure out whats wrong.

Main tank is still at 70%, the upside is I'm using half as much propane, it just seems like more since I'm swapping bottles twice as fast
Old 11-28-2018, 01:04:19 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,280 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
That is what I have tried doing and still not getting a full tank. I've tried barely cracking bleeder, I've tried opening bleeder and just letting it flow, I think its boiling off as fast as its flowing into tank because I just can't get a full bottle.
Build a fire under main tank to raise pressure
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 10:14:17 AM
Subscriber

D-Girl, are you sure you have a wet leg in your big tank? Have you seen liquid come out ? Is your filler hose hooked to the liquid valve and not the vapor valve?
The Following User Says Thank You to Heins For This Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 11:50:47 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
D-Girl, are you sure you have a wet leg in your big tank? Have you seen liquid come out ? Is your filler hose hooked to the liquid valve and not the vapor valve?
That is what they were supposed to install, valve is plumbed into top of tank, it is not under the dome cover. Topped up another tank today, before opening valve on the big tank I cracked open valve on filler nozzle (not yet connected to small tank) and liquid squirted out. I would say that tells me I am getting liquid propane, and the liquid is not bleeding out of hose as gas. Connected hose to tank, cracked open bleeder, slowly opened valves, 15 minutes later still no liquid coming out of bleeder, gave up, shut it off and said done, maybe a little more than half full.

Doc, the snow should be there in a few hours!
Old 11-29-2018, 10:21:48 AM
Subscriber

After you get the filler hose hooked to the small tank and filling, do you open the valves all the way open and the vent a little?
Old 11-29-2018, 03:46:14 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
After you get the filler hose hooked to the small tank and filling, do you open the valves all the way open and the vent a little?
Yes, and bleeder is opened before tank valves, usually very little to no pressure in tank, the first half of fill goes rather quickly, then it just seems like I'm venting propane and bottle is not getting fuller. Just using the non calibrated hand scale, maybe I need to find a scale to figure out whats really going on.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:51:40 PM
Subscriber

D Girl, I talked to two guys that fill small propane tanks and both of them say you should be able to fill them from a larger tank.

One of them said he hooks his filler hose up to the smaller tank and larger tank, turns the valve on the larger tank with the valve off on the smaller tank, bleeds the filler hose (he has a bleed valve on one fitting of his hose) than turns the valve on the the smaller tank, than turns the vent open. He fills with a pump but he says it fills faster with the vent open. He said he can disconnect the filler hose at the small tank and the filler hose will shut off with out shutting the valve off at the larger tank. When liquid starts coming out of the vent, the tank is full (80%).

I ask them if both ends of the filler hose is the same thread and they weren't sure. If there are, maybe you are running the filler hose backwards. May be you have the wrong fitting for your tanks.

My small tanks when they are unhooked, won't let any propane out when you turn the valve on.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:58:29 PM
Subscriber

Hose looks like a plain old hose that can be installed either way. There is a little valve assembly on side of filler nozzle, have not touched it, guessing its the hose bleeder. Found a scale to weigh the bottles, not suitable for weighing while filling, but at least I can check empty vs full weights. Checked first "full" bottle yesterday, it weighed 27 Lbs, tare weight on bottle says 16.5 lbs, so basically 10 pounds of propane in a 30 Lb bottle, that is a pretty poor result.

This is not rocket science, connect hose, open valves, and wait, either I'm not waiting long enough, or something is not right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane 1.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	323715   Click image for larger version

Name:	propane 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	323716  
Old 11-30-2018, 06:48:41 PM
Subscriber

Looks to me like it should work. I think it is a bleeder on the side of the valve.
Will liquid propane come out if you turn the valve on the big tank if the little tank isn't hooked up?
If you hook the little tank up and leave the valve off on the big tank, will propane (gas) come out of the bleeder when you turn the valve on the little tank? Bleed the hose first.
You could use a bathroom scales to weigh the bottle.
The next time you fill a bottle, bleed the hose after you turn the valve on the big tank. Before you turn the valve on the little bottle. Open the vent on the little bottle.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:58:56 PM
Subscriber

Filled another bottle yesterday, tried valve on side of fill nozzle, I don't think its a bleeder, opened 3-4 turns and nothing happened even though main valve was on. Weighed the 3 "full" bottles today, weights are all different. I'm starting to think I'm just not waiting long enough standing out in the freezing cold. Propane guy did say it would take longer, considering his pump will fill tank in under 2 minutes, I was thinking longer meant 5 maybe 10 minutes. At this point, if I wait 10-15 minutes, I'm getting about 20 lbs, and I don't know, seems like venting off a pound or 2.

I'm going to get more info on the hand pumps, if I can fill a bottle in 5 minutes with one of those I might get one, I'd rather pump for 5 minutes than shake my legs for 15 minutes
Old 12-02-2018, 02:28:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,882 Times in 1,932 Posts

From watching the service station attendants, I want to say that the bleeder on the filler assembly bleeds the little bit between the tank being filled and filler valve itself. Seems they would open that after closing all of the valves so liquid doesn't come out when they remove the filler from the tank that was being filled...
Old 12-02-2018, 04:11:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,606 Times in 701 Posts

As I recall our tank filler hose had a fairly large nut attaching it to either tank. Bleeding the pressure in the hose ends after closing the valves made them easily removable by hand.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:20:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,675 Times in 959 Posts

one thing i didnt see mentioned, you may have a faulty opd valve. i had this happen once, would fill extremely slow even at the filling station with a pump. the man said that the didnt like rough treatment when empty, like setting them down fast and hard on a concrete floor. swapped it out at one of those swap and go deals to get rid of it. also one of those companies uses a special valve to prevent their tanks from being filled by anyone else, if memory serves me some kind of magnetic deal is required to fill those tanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy T For This Post: