Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

How do you keep the hobby alive?

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 6968 times

Old 08-09-2014, 11:44:28 AM
Registered

Default How do you keep the hobby alive?

I'm going to Ely Vermont show the 22-23 of August I have sadly found out this will be the last show. I'm not going to go into the reason I've only heard the reasons from one member as to why. Most of the reasons were you can't get the help from members of the club that operates the show. Same ole problem all organizations have is only a few do all the work have had same problem in fire dept. I belong too for 36 years. Weather we want to admit it or not the hobby is in trouble old members are passing away and I don't have the figures but I bet they are not being replaced with new enthusiast. I live 125 miles from the Ely show and can't go and help I don't have an answer but I know in my family only my grand daughter has an interest in going to shows with me she's 9 and hasn't discovered boys yet! I'm 61 years old and won't live long enough too not be able to find shows to go too but everyone we lose is gone and in years if they go one by one there will only none. Here in my town there used to be a nice showing 30 years ago that's where I saw my first engine and now only tractors come I'm only one that shows any engines and pumps. Actually the field days could care less if I come or not I go cause I like to show my collection. Well I hope I'm totally wrong on this thread and the shows and hobby is alive and well!

Ronny
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:56:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,248 Times in 550 Posts
Default Re: How do you keep hobby alive

I think for people my age (16) it's hard for them to appreciate history. Also there's a lack of exposure of old iron to my generation. Where the old timers used this stuff when they were kids. One if the reasons I like this stuff is because I got taken to shows when I was little. (+love of history) At my local show A LOT of young people involved seems to me atleast. About 20 people skipped school to go to the swap meet this year. The only perk I can see for me here is there will be a lack of interest an this stuff will be cheap. But I still don't see that happening.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 11:57:36 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,744 Posts

One thing that stands out to me in your post is you are "61 years and old and won't live long enough to....". I'm 59 and I'm living like I'm 20. Brother, give it heck as long as you have breath. If you can't find a show, start your own. The first may not go over big but the next will be better and the next better yet. If you can't take the bull by the horns then grab another piece of his anatomy.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:41:55 PM
Registered

Reed good point starting show on my own we have a car show in the park of my town and it gets bigger every year. I was thinking that an engine show could only be 1 day but if I started a show it would be end of me showing for a few weeks especially at show would be too much to do. I have shows here in VT, Mass NH I can go too I just see many shows struggling.

Ronny
Old 08-09-2014, 01:58:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,917 Times in 2,474 Posts

This topic has come up at numerous shows this year I had a chance to go to, there was a show in St Peters Mo that used to be a good one , gone now, urbanization took care of some of that , they got to be carnival oreinted and beer garden, flea market stuff, and then weather had a major impact to, Like Reed said live life to it,s fullest you can while you can, and that is from a man that has a not to good of future for health, at 57 in Jan. In a way some young guys might get really into it if prices dropped, but us older guys are going to suffer, but, it would keep more interested, Tim what would help your gen more to really get interested in old stuff, and getting greasy, hands on ,instead of you tube, maybe more younger guys can give their view points , to help your gen,s , remember guys we was young to, and a lot has changed since that time. I have a son and grandaughter , but some family issue,s are in place there, wont go into it, but Jr was taken to a lot of shows by Dad, almost inseaperable, thanks Dad, but after getting interested in girls, fishing, hunting, he too dont play with some of the old toys he has to play with. This year myself have been to only one club show, there was always a conflict of dates of where I had planned and wanted to go, or funeral, or something I didnt like about where the show was...I have noticed since 2009 when I started back up again from about 1985 time frame laspe, due to family issues with a daughter, that attnedances of spectators has dropped, Gate price? economy, youtube? fuel prices or ......
Old 08-09-2014, 02:22:45 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,206 Times in 539 Posts

I'm 60, and I think in my remainder of my lifetime, I will see shows become predominately Briggs engines and riding lawn mowers. I've certainly seen this progression begin/happen at the Pawnee, OK show. I was in attendance at #1 in 1974, and have only missed one since. There used to be tons of steel wheels, cars, calliopes, do nothings that make noise and spin, even a guy that disco roller skated. I will note that we are lucky in still having a good lineup of steam, flywheels and rubber. I get real disappointed when I see a discussion about a Lawn Boy mower's age, but that's just me. That's all that most under thirty years old can remember or relate to. To most of that age group, if it has exposed flywheels its a steam engine, whether it has a spark plug or not. It's not part of their world. Once while demonstrating a Model T, an older gentleman, that I would have thought knew how to operate a T by his age, asked me, "What's that knob?" I told him that it was the choke. His thirtyish looking partner immediately asked, "What's a choke?" This was unbelievable to me, until I stepped back and thought.

Things will change. It's inevitable. That's why the dinosaurs died and people took over.

As I've said many times on this site, Hats off to the guys that have their own personal fireups! They need to try, and find, young people like Tim Colwell to invite.

Been through the startup of a couple of shows. Without outside funding it's a bitch. Ronnie, I also want to add (but hate to) that I'm glad that the show has chosen to shut down, and not become like a once popular TV show that drags on until it becomes a laughing stock. We have a club/show like that locally. It's sad.....ED
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 02:43:28 PM
Registered

I'm a relative newby to hit and miss engines. I'm 67 and have just the little detroit 2 cycle engine. Far as I know I'm the only one here in New Iberia,Louisiana that has one. When I worked for living most of the pumps I used were steam powered both turbine and double acting steam pumps. Some of them dated back to the early teens in the last century. So maybe that in part fueled my interest in gas engines. Regardless of wether steam or gas it's kinda neat to see something running that must be close to a hundred years old and you had a hand in getting it going. Frank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank46 For This Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 04:53:23 PM
Registered

I know that putting on a good show takes people and $ I think that tv u-tube cell phones all take a toll on young peoples interest. I admit I come here but I still do all my yard work and tinker on my rust projects.

Ronny