Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 20902 times

Old 04-09-2011, 09:27:44 PM
Registered

Default 2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

I took the kids out to eat last night and thought I'd swing by the Pioneer Power grounds on the way. Three trailers lined up already. I'm getting excited in anticipation. I think I need to start loading my trailer just to scratch the itch. Hopefully the high fuel prices don't keep anyone away. They didn't seem to back in '08.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT89048.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	104354  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moline101 For This Post:
Old 04-09-2011, 09:57:24 PM
Registered

Default Re: LeSueur Swap Meet

Boy, me and dad can't wait to go either!! The high gas prices aren't going to keep us away. I just can't believe there are already people lined up though haha. Hope to see you there.
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC6 For This Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 12:44:08 AM
Registered

I'm looking forward to a great weekend there! Hope everyone brings lots of sunshine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Loren E For This Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 08:40:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,157 Times in 286 Posts

I have been sitting in my truck for a week now ready to head North. Can't wait. Always a great time. I too wish for nice weather, although it's a crap shoot!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Shaffer For This Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02:40 AM
Registered

The week leading up to the swap weekend, has a lot of trading going on. Buyers and other vendors actually ride your trailer in before you get parked....
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31:40 PM
Registered

If those strong storms come through & some tornadoes develop, those 3 trailers MIGHT not be there afterwards...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ackman For This Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 08:52:00 AM
Registered

I love the riders. It's kind of the scorecard for your trailer. We figure if we get more than one rider, we've got ourselves a good load. Brother-in-law had a cushman scooter one year and a guy hopped into the back of the truck and tried to buy it while were were driving to get in line. Good times.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43:34 PM
Subscriber

We at Pioneer Power stand ready to welcome everyone with open arms. :=)
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Walker For This Post:
Old 04-10-2011, 09:25:46 PM
Subscriber

We have started to get stuff together. I cant wait! I too am praying for good weather this year. I heard a rumor that they are letting us in earlier on Thursday. Is that true?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06:22 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,368 Times in 353 Posts

We've had some nice, windy weather lately and the grounds have dried off nicely. So hopefully by the end of the month the grounds will be in good shape. We are nearly a week later than usual due to Easter being late this year.

The gates will open again this year around 5 pm on Thurs. Supposedly folks are not to go into the grounds until the gates open to hold a spot, but you know human nature, there is always someone pushing the limits. We do need some rules and regulations otherwise it would totally be out of control......we do try our best.

Just remember, with the amount of people on the grounds, golf carts, loader vehicles, etc. be careful and have a fun and enjoyable swap meet.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 10:10:44 PM
Registered

I took a spin past the grounds tonight. 17 trailers in line and the first row is almost full.

Thanks Dave for the info. Also, thank you for all your help loading and unloading all the rusty gold I sell and purchase over the weekend. Your loader skills are impressive in that big Kubota in tight quarters, on top of that, you must have the patience of a saint.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to moline101 For This Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 08:48:01 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by moline101 View Post
I took a spin past the grounds tonight. 17 trailers in line and the first row is almost full.

Thanks Dave for the info. Also, thank you for all your help loading and unloading all the rusty gold I sell and purchase over the weekend. Your loader skills are impressive in that big Kubota in tight quarters, on top of that, you must have the patience of a saint.
Thanks for the nice comments, loading is a never ending job for those of us that do it.

And...........this morning it is WHITE......grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55:42 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,238 Times in 189 Posts

Dave, We just had anywheres from 6-12" of heavy wet snow out here in South Dakota. Made me think it was time for the swap meet!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Flatmoe For This Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 09:24:31 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Flatmoe View Post
Dave, We just had anywheres from 6-12" of heavy wet snow out here in South Dakota. Made me think it was time for the swap meet!
Hi Brian,
Thank God you got it and not us. We ended up with an inch or so, but the temp is cold. We can have 80 degrees or heavy snow with blowing and drifting during the swap meet.......it's always an adventure.

Hope to seeing you guys again this year......any heavy iron to reload????
Dave
Old 04-16-2011, 03:47:24 PM
Registered

Default Re: 2011 LeSueur Swap Meet

So, I have never been to a swap meet but have been to a thershermans show in Iowa. I am flying back to Minn to go to LeSuer and am not sure what to expect.

Will it be more of a engine sale or a Engine show? A little of both? What should I expect at LeSuer?

I dont plan on buying anything but I am assuming that there will be tons of stuff to look at. I am excited to go.

Any suggestions on things I shouldnt miss or do?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoomba View Post
So, I have never been to a swap meet but have been to a thershermans show in Iowa. I am flying back to Minn to go to LeSuer and am not sure what to expect.

Will it be more of a engine sale or a Engine show? A little of both? What should I expect at LeSuer?

I dont plan on buying anything but I am assuming that there will be tons of stuff to look at. I am excited to go.

Any suggestions on things I shouldnt miss or do?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve,
I guess it is a show, a show of how much precious iron can be dragged out of the groves and people try to sell it.

All kidding aside.........it is strictly a selling event. Lots of engines, tractors, parts, related items, tools, etc. Also flea market items and inside vendors of old literature, trinkets, etc. Just to much to see in one day. It is also a meeting place for folks who enjoy old iron.

Hope you can make it.
Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 05:08:36 PM
Subscriber

I am planning to attend this big event that I have missed over the years....back in the day Waukee, IA was the place to go, but i hear that swap meet has gone south. So this year will be my first and I plan to bring wet weather gear and boots as from all the talk over the past few years that is a given...now mother nature could pull a fast one as I think this year it is a week later due to Easter Sunday.

I am looking for an item and i have even post ads on here for it and also started a thread, but only got spammed. So what I am looking for is a Flywheel for a Stover Duro...can be an orginal or Cast...but it has to be the Flyball governor side. So if anyone is bring one please PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

I thought about bring a trailer but I want to find out what this swap meet was all about before bring a trailer load 200 miles...but rest assured I will be there.

Oh I do have one question...if I buy something big can I drive in to get it or is the loading part that was spoken about...do you deliver...(To my Truck)??? And is parking a problem???? And last one what time does the gates open on Friday???

David
Old 04-16-2011, 06:08:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

I have brought a little red wagon and a 2 wheeled cart to haul my treasures back to the truck. For slightly bigger stuff, there are kids you can hire to haul the stuff for you on a garden tractor. For a lot bigger stuff, there are a bunch of guys with tractors and loaders that will take the stuff right to your trailer. Look for the guy with the big orange tractor.
I would bring the trailer if it is only 200 miles. You might find something big you can't live without, and making a 400 mile round trip the next day to pick it up would suck with today's gas prices.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:19:29 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaytagRepairMan View Post
I am planning to attend this big event that I have missed over the years....back in the day Waukee, IA was the place to go, but i hear that swap meet has gone south. So this year will be my first and I plan to bring wet weather gear and boots as from all the talk over the past few years that is a given...now mother nature could pull a fast one as I think this year it is a week later due to Easter Sunday.

I am looking for an item and i have even post ads on here for it and also started a thread, but only got spammed. So what I am looking for is a Flywheel for a Stover Duro...can be an orginal or Cast...but it has to be the Flyball govenor side. So if anyone is bring one please PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

I thought about bring a trailer but I want to find out what this swap meet was all about before bring a trailer load 200 miles...but rest asure I will be there.

Oh I do have one question...if I buy something big can I drive in to get it or is the loading part that was spoken about...do you deliver...(To my Truck)??? And is parking a problem???? And last one what time does the gates open on Friday???

David
Hi David,
If you buy something big, best would be to have one of the loader guys haul it to your truck, it gets wayyyyyyyyy too congested inside the grounds if everyone tries to get in and pick up an item they purchased. We will take it right to your truck or trailer.

Parking shouldn't be a problem if you're not vending, the parking lot usually is good place to transfer items and for parking, both single vehicles or with trailers.

The gates open at 6 am on Fri.

Le Sueur, Mn. Swap Meet Info
Dave
Old 05-01-2011, 09:10:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: 2011 Le Sueur Minnesota Swap Meet

The 2011 was a bit challenging this year with all the rain before and during the swap meet, but it turned out OK. Lots of vendors and spectators, especially on Fri., Saturday turned nice after the rain of Fri. night. Sunday was dry but cloudy and windy and the going home day. The grounds are not pretty but will get them back into shape for the show in August. This time of year you can expect most anything, from sunburning 80 degree weather to 28 degrees and snow. We can only hope for better next year, where we can meet our old friends again.

Ken, I think the '07 swap meet was far worse than any other swap meet we had, that was the year we should've had the buttons!

2003 swap meet

2007 swap meet

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGoomba View Post
I went yesterday and had a good time. I was completely overwhelmed by the volume of stuff. Made it through about half of the stuff before I wore myself out. Being new to engines and not knowing value, it was a challenge. I found 1 thing that I would have loved to have but it was to much for me. It was a little Hew Holland grinder. Really cool. Lot of thing had me scratching my head because I had no idea what it was.

The number of people was crazy. I learned an important lesson about when to get there. Arriving at 10 is a bad idea unless you like to walk a half mile or more.

I saw more 1.5 hp John Deere Es than I could shake a stick at. I think I counted 15 or more. Most common engine there seemed like. Second most common engine would be the IHC LA\LBs I think. Then came the Fairbanks Morse ZDs.

I need pay better attention next time I go. Kept stepping infront of people in golf carts and almost getting run over.
I saw the NH mill also and thought too that it is a very nice item, but didn't have the guts to ask how much it was.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Preuhs For This Post: