Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

How do you keep the hobby alive?

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 6966 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2014, 04:05:29 PM
Registered

Default Re: How do you keep the hobby alive?

I think Tanner a few posts up hit it on the head for the most part. I have been at this hobby since I was a kid and I am now about to turn 34. In my time prices have gone up quite a bit. The other thing I see is you have to be very engaging with younger people these days. They just don't seem to have the attention span they used to. Once they are interested they start asking how much it might cost them to pick up an engine and get it running......interest fades. As far as shows going away, things do change whether you like it or not. It can be sad. You can start a new show though. My brother and I have found that finding an event already taking place, a town celebration or something like that, then asking someone in charge if they would like to have an antique equipment display works well. Most of the time they like having another attraction for the folks to come look at. All this being said, us engine guys do seem to be getting fewer and fewer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wlb For This Post: