Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

cut-off tool frustration

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 5625 times

Old 08-31-2014, 09:11:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: cut-off tool frustration

I agree with most all the input here. Combustor's spring type tool holder is amazing if you have been struggling with parting tools for years like me. It really settles down the chatter. Slow, slow speed is the way to go on a small lathe. Something that no one has mentioned is to feed in some and then start the tool over to the side about 1/4th the width of the slot to cut a little side clearance for the tool. Then when you get to the bottom of the cut again, alternately cut in from one side of the kerf to the other. Finish the cut in the middle. The whole struggle is over rigidity. Old lathes are really rigid to take big cuts because they had to run so slow (no decent tool steel or carbide then). I ran a 1904 Lodge & Shiply 24" at the East Broad Top RR shop that even had a third way built into the bed for rigidity. You could feed a blacksmith made forged cut-off tool straight into 3" cold rolled steel about as fast as you wanted to turn the crank, with no sound...amazing.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2014, 08:32:55 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,204 Times in 990 Posts

I received this link from Modern Machine Shop magazine today. If anyone is attending IMTS in Chicago next week, Iscar is going to have a demo using a cut-off tool to cut a piece of rail. Rail steel is nasty stuff without the wicked interruption and varying section.

http://www.mmsonline.com/blog/post/e...tent=MMS+Extra
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06:14 PM
Subscriber

MEH, I could do that ,one rotation BANG and the parting tool is gone , that was quite interesting at the least . now if I went to my friends machine shop they would direct me to the stock cutting band saw and tell me that is where you cut a piece of rail.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:23:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,137 Posts

That's what we use for part off and grooving tools, is Iscar. Good stuff
Old 12-13-2014, 03:22:12 AM
Registered

Yes, if you use a tool post, indicate the blade in and make sure its square. if you are cutting off, or grooving . Always keep the tool post square.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

I bet your tool post isnt square if your no using a turret. Put your cutoff tool on the post and extend the cutting depth and indicate it in. About like squaring a vise.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42:37 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,127 Posts

My Hendey lathe came with a worn, sprung 3 jaw chuck, I knew a lot less when I got it than I do now, I now know a little bit. The worn chuck wouldn't hold work tight, never could part off with it, new chuck made a world of difference.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:01:37 PM
Registered

I appreciate everyone's information. Seems most of my problems occur with hot roll. Now I know not to do that. Maybe now I can use the wedge type quick change holder after all. If the cut-off bit is cutting, it shouldn't be slipping backwards. I like the looks of the T shaped cut off tool bit. I think it would serve better with the holder. So, more practice, eh? (Lathe is a Grizzley 14x40.)

Thanks, 10thumbs
Old 12-14-2014, 11:57:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Castagnos View Post
My Hendey lathe came with a worn, sprung 3 jaw chuck, I knew a lot less when I got it than I do now, I now know a little bit. The worn chuck wouldn't hold work tight, never could part off with it, new chuck made a world of difference.
This happens when the chuck jaws get worn on the clamping surfaces. Chucks have a tendency to wear bell mouth, so when parting the material rolls around in the chuck. This causes the groove to wobble and grab the parting tool. Resulting the part trying to climb over the parting tool.

Richard W.