Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

2 stroke problem

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2640 times

Old 10-21-2005, 07:01:33 PM
Registered

Default 2 stroke problem

I was using my blower today and it on full throttal for about 5 minutes today. When I was done, I shut it off and put it away. When I came back to the shed, I noticed fuel was dripping drip after drip out of the air filter so I imediatly took it out side just in case it were to catch fire because the engine was hot. I tried to start it but it wouldn't start. Would this be because of a stickey float? I've never had one problem with the blower before so this will be the first! Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2005, 08:50:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: 2 stroke problem

Well the assumption of a dead float seems feasible, but it also could just be clogged. If it was me, I'd just rebuild the carb and get it over with. Most times its less then 10-15 bux for gaskets.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:48:31 PM
Registered

I probably will have to take the carburator off and clean it out. It's so small, it will fit in the palm of your hand!
Old 10-22-2005, 02:17:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

Not knowing the history of the engine, think I'd just take the carb apart to check things out. If nothing apparent, maybe spray some carb cleaner on the parts and blow out with compressed air and reassemble. If you're lucky and don't damage the gaskets in the process, might be all that's needed. If it still drips gas after that, might need a needle valve and seat.

Bill
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00:39 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

Carbs on these engine do not use floats. They are a diaphram type that is also a fuel pump. I would say the needle is not seating. The needle is open and close by the action one of the diaphrams.

Kent
Old 10-22-2005, 02:43:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,604 Times in 744 Posts

In that case I would suspect diaphram has been perforated.

Bill
Old 10-22-2005, 04:24:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

needle and/or seat is worn, possibly. Perforated diaphragms are usually the cause for poor, or non performance.
~M~
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36:59 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2 stroke problem

Austen,
rebuild the carb, using new gaskets and parts in rebuild kit. Also, check your fuel tank for debris and water. blowers produce a lot of dust, and this finds its way into the tank. it eventually gets into the carb, and hangs up the valves on the diaphrams. Make sure the 'clunk filter in the tank is clear and intact. You may have to turn thr machine upside down to get the filter out of the tank, thru the fuel fill pipe opening. Be very careful when taking the carb apart - some have fine springs and parts which must be put back where they belong, carefully! Sometimes I need 4 hands to work on certain Walbro blower carbs.
Andrew.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:47:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info, speaking of a needle valve not seeting right, my dad and I can't seem to get the needle valve on my Jacobsen to seet at all. Each time you put it in, it just falls right out. I don't think this is normal. My dad made an adjustment on the fuel flow to it, then when I tried to start it, that's when the spring inside the recoil broke so I'm waiting for the new recoil assembly that I got off Ebay to come in the mail. Hopefully that helps it.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:02:11 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Austin, I have somewhat limited experience with two-stroker carbs, but it seems that the needle should be attatched to the diaphragm. Hmm........unless this particular carb lets the needle "float" against it. Dunno.

~M~
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44:36 AM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: 2 stroke problem

Austin, to assemble carb, remove from engine and turn it upside down. Install needle, float and hinge pin. Adjust float level so that the float is parallel to the carb body. If your engine has the Tillotson carb with the float on the side, Install the float, needle and hinge pin into the float mount, holding the mount upside down. You may need 4 hands ! Again turn the carb upside down to install the float assembly. The parallel lines in the float should be parallel to the carb top, to set level. Some of these floats are plain sided . In that case, you want the leveling mount flange on the float to be parallel to the top piece. Right side up, there is no retainer to keep the float in place. When in the carb, when the fuel bowl is empty, the float rests on the fuel bowl itself. Thats why the needle does not fall out when the carb is assembled. Let us know how you make out.
Andrew
Old 10-23-2005, 01:11:25 PM
Registered

I will as soon as I get the new recoil assembly in the mail!
Old 10-23-2005, 03:56:48 PM
Registered

I meant to say in my last post that I won't be able to see if it starts until I get the recoil in the mail. Thanks for the info it was a big help, we were able to get the needle valve back in place. It's a lot harder than it really looks to get it back in. I said a while ago on here that the float needed to be replaced. It turns out that it is ok, we tested it in some water. I guess we'll just have to see how it runs when I get the new recoil. Thanks again for all your time and suggestions, there very appreciated!
Old 10-29-2005, 03:51:56 AM
Registered

What model carb came on your engine? Was it a walbro? If so, I have one here, and can take pictures if needed.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:46:25 PM
Registered

Your right. No float. My experience with the explained symptoms would be that the diaphram has become dried out, streching it taut and allowing the needle valve to hang open and let the gas leak through. The fuel tank will pressurize when you shut the engine off and add to the problem by forcing the fuel through. As someone said the best solution is to clean and kit the carb. and have it over.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:49:05 AM
Registered

Yeah thanks for the info. Right now were thinking about replacing it and getting a back pack blower because of the gas leeking out and the blowers tube has cracked. But if we don't, we'll have to fix the one we have know.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:06:09 AM
Registered

The carburator on the Jacobsen is a Tillotson carburator.