Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

FLOTT type TB 6/II Drill Press - Restoration & Finding Parts

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1275 times

Old 09-12-2016, 11:13:52 AM
Registered

Default FLOTT type TB 6/II Drill Press - Restoration & Finding Parts

I recently acquired it (free, was given to me by family member). Don't know much about them other than its a good name/brand. Don't know much about it other than it works, it needs a LOT of TLC and its missing a few things. Its grey and has a red "FLOTT" logo on the side and red down in the tray/base (where the drill shavings accumulate). It has a green motor that says "Sears" in the traditional little black rectangle and "quality pump" below it. The info plaque riveted to the motor is completely worn other than a single stamp "D 68".

Its got a little baby (I think 1/4" chuck). Normally I'd strip it down, tear it apart, clean, oil & rehab everything so in the end it looks new --however, I can't find any information on it. I know its not new. I know it works but its missing a few parts (cover that goes over the back side of the power switch & probably a ton of other odds & ends). Should I just charge ahead, tear it down and start cleaning? I say that I usually tear things down and refurbish/restore tools & equipment like this because not only does it make them look nice in the end, it also allows me to fully understand them --how they work, maintenance, safety, etc. I don't like the idea of plugging in an unknown quantity that looks poorly maintained.

I believe this is it: https://www.machinio.com/listings/13...-velen-germany
The top cover has the same little bump/notch on it and the plaques on the side match (Where it says "FLOTT" and "Type TB 6/II"). Has same on/off switch but slightly different press lever.

Other question I have is about the deck and attaching things to the deck. There are two grooves and I have several vises that vary in size from 4" down to 1.5" (picked them up at yard sales, etc.) They look like this: http://thumbs3.picclick.com/d/l400/p...se-Awesome.jpg except they are stamped "INDIA"

So the question is how do I attach a vise like that to the deck of this press? Do I need a different style vise or do I need to start looking for attachment parts?

Thanks a lot. This forum has always been so wonderful with information and help. I can't wait to get to the point (someday) that I can be the one answering questions like this!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2016, 02:45:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: FLOTT type TB 6/II Drill Press - Restoration & Finding Parts

Maybe I'll follow up and ask this: The drill has a taper-fit chuck which I believe to be a JT1 industry standard. Currently it has a Rohm Prima DIN 6349 chuck that accepts bits between 0.5mm-8mm or 1/64"-5/16".

Where might one go to find out more about tapered chucks, the standards, sizes, other chuck sizes that fit what I have, etc. etc. Not looking to reinvent the wheel, just ideally don't want to be limited to 8mm or 5/16" bit size. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:45:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1215 View Post
post above
Can't edit. Also looking for info on things like what types of grease to use to lubricate the press shaft, bearings, etc.