Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > YouTube Old Iron Videos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

YouTube Old Iron Videos A place to show your ON topic movies of antique engines and old iron.

YouTube Old Iron Videos

Ames Portable Found in Woods

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1174 times

Old 08-21-2017, 07:27:41 PM
Subscriber

Default Ames Portable Found in Woods

Just found a new You Tube video of some guys that found a relatively intact and very old Ames Iron Works Portable.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K.O'Connell For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2017, 09:49:37 PM
Registered

Default Re: Ames Portable Found in Woods

This is known at least to me as I have been traveling the US looking at all the Ames equipment that I can Gain Access too, it is thought to be a 2 cylinder hoisting engine so technically not a portable engine the hoisting drum is off the engine, it may have ran the cable for the ore cars to go to the stamp mill shown, it is located in Plumas County California in a national forest area and was likely used in a gold mining operation of interest there may be a picture of this engine posted at the Oswego railroad museum, I tried communicating with someone from there but that stopped on his end and I never got a better picture of the posted picture from the museum to confirm it just another part of the Puzzle that needs to be put together, I am sure this was a special order engine as nothing is shown in any catalogs of building a 2 cylinder engine for production purposes.

I am not sure if the engine even had a pulley to run the stamp mill, that may have been run by some other means as the hoisting engine would need to move from forward to reverse to operate the ore car movements
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glenn Gieszler For This Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 05:33:44 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Ames Portable Found in Woods

I agree with the commenter that this looks like it took a tumble down the hill. The right hand side seems to have taken the brunt of the force. There are several parts of this engine I can't identify what they are. The parts on the back that he called a platform don't seem right. There are several bars of steel that are vertical that don't seem to be for holding a canopy. On the right hand side are two jointed bars parallel to the boiler with one end bolted to the smoke box. (maybe a brake?) Governor seems to be totally missing. Just before they cut to the stamp mill, one of them does pick up a fly wheel.