Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Best way to Preserve Rusted Implements for Display?

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 1906 times

Old 08-01-2018, 12:29:18 AM
Registered

Default Best way to Preserve Rusted Implements for Display?

Got a couple of my grandfathers old horse ploughs etc that I want to preserve for the driverway/garden/fences

The first one I did I just hand wire brushed off as much flake rust as I could, brushed over with rust converter then airbrushed on grey oxide primer. After a few months mounted on a fence it has started the speckle and flake through the rust.

Anyone got a good technique for preserving these types of things, when they're already going rotten from sitting around for decades.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49:13 AM
Registered

Default Re: Best way to preserve rusted implements for display?

Hi Rusty,
i dont like painting items like that, i prefer the as found look, so i just spray them with a mix of kerosene (about 60%) and auto trans oil, easy to apply, looks good, cheers,
Chester.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:51:55 AM
Subscriber

I have been using this stuff called Flood Penetrol that they sell in the marine section of Home Depot for this. I first read about it here on SmokStak and it works well.

It's a paint conditioner, but works by itself, too. The benefit (as I see it) over boiled linseed oil (another option) and kerosene/oil is that it will dry.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:48:16 AM
Registered

Hey Rusty, are you looking to paint them a color, or leave the "as is" patina look?
Old 08-03-2018, 12:55:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Best way to Preserve Rusted Implements for Display?

Well the example I mentioned was painted with a grey oxide primer, which I'm happy with. So yes, I guess if it means better preservation I would like to paint the gear instead of simply leaving it rusty looking. (also stuff washing off and contaminating the ground factors into it)

Penetrol looks interesting BMyrkle, sort of like a resin and varnish in one?
Old 08-03-2018, 11:29:23 AM
Registered

I'd go with POR 15 rust preventive coating. I've done stuff that's been outside in the elements for over 20 years without any problems. No cheap, but does what it says.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:57:33 AM
Registered

Spotted a tin of Flood Penetrol at the building supply co. today so I snapped it up. Now I have to check the various tins of primer etc I have laying about to find one compatible with the stuff.

Then it's time to lay into grandads old horse plough with a steel brush and paint the thing! I'll skip the rust converter coat this time, since it seems to flake off just as easily on the other implement I painted previously.
Old 08-25-2018, 04:40:39 AM
Registered

Well had a bit of a test by painting on some Chameleon red oxide primer onto an old IH water pump, then mixing a quarter cup with 20% penetrol and the difference is night and day, really got into everything well and truly. Now to wait and see if it comes up alright.

When I get onto the horse plough I'm thinking I'll brush, apply rust converter, apply two coats of red oxide with penetrol.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:35:27 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,172 Posts

Hello all
Red oxide is only a primer, and as such, needs a top coat to seal. You can get red oxide coloured top coat. Mix in some Penetrol as well.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 06:00:42 AM
Registered

Cool Re: Best way to Preserve Rusted Implements for Display?

Spray with ' Fertan ' Aussie Made keep moist following manufacturers instructions . Use Tank Water for best results . Excellent for soaking rusted parts .
Remove Flacking Rust . So out comes wire brush or brass brush . Non Toxic , looks good after treatment , with a ' buff, aged black look . Self priming . Ready to paint over if you wish . Older Tractors look good buffed and aged black . Has an aged odour while treating .
Tar is good also .

---------- Post added at 07:45:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40:46 PM ----------

The recommended ratio is 1 part Fertan Rust Remover per 10 parts water. For a faster de-rusting process this ratio can be decreased to as low as 1 part water to 1 part Fertan Rust Remover , use Tank Water . Remove all oil , grease.

---------- Post added at 07:46:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45:02 PM ----------

You can save the mixture to be used at a later time. It is recommended that you filter or strain the mixture through a membrane (coffee filters work well) to remove any sediment. It is recommended that you store this mixture in an air tight plastic container such as an old milk jug or plastic soda bottle. DO NOT store in a metal container. If a deceleration is noticed on re-use you can add more Fertan Rust Remover to the mixture to enhance the mixtures potency.

---------- Post added at 07:54:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46:16 PM ----------

Fertan can be applied with a Spray Bottle , for larger parts , that can't be submerged , spray , and keep moist . So early in the morning with a Dew . Aids the process .

---------- Post added at 07:56:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54:25 PM ----------

The Rust Converter should be removed from painted or chromed surfaces immediately.
Because the product can infiltrate into cracked painted surfaces.

---------- Post added at 07:57:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56:13 PM ----------

https://fertanusa.com/wp-content/upl...ducts-FAQs.pdf

---------- Post added at 08:00:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57:15 PM ----------

Wear Gloves and Old Cloths as it will Stain .
Old 08-31-2018, 09:47:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
Hello all
Red oxide is only a primer, and as such, needs a top coat to seal. You can get red oxide coloured top coat. Mix in some Penetrol as well.

Cheers Scott
A topcoat? But that sounds like... work!
Old 09-01-2018, 06:02:01 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,212 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNumbat View Post
A topcoat? But that sounds like... work!

Not as much as painting it with primer every 6 months
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 10:03:33 PM
Registered

I use linseed oil. It lasts fairly long and keeps the patina.
I even put some in the hopper(2 or 3 ounces) while the engine is running at shows. When I drain the water after the show the inside of the hopper gets a nice coating and doesn't get that orange rust color.
Try a small area and see if you like it.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:33:15 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post

Not as much as painting it with primer every 6 months
Ah well, another chance to practice with the airgun, and it'd look better done in a white finish rather than red anyway!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:05:27 AM
Registered

Bit of an update - I got the gear done with thick brushed on red oxide/flood penetrol mix, then two sprays of white enamel with an industrial hardener additive.

The gear has only been out there a few months but it seems the oxide/penetrol is bulletproof so far.

There's another implement already in the weather that I go and use up leftover paint on. The rust was specking through the plain grey oxide on it, and when I painted this plough I sprayed some of the implement with leftover white enamel and brushed some with leftover oxide. The whine enamel is already specking through with lifting rust, the red oxide is still completely like a skin of smooth glossy paint. So yeah, pretty impressed so far with the results...

Old 03-12-2019, 05:48:40 AM
Registered

Just a bit of "a year later" on the first thing I painted, if anyone is interested to see the results.

Both grey parts were painted at the same time (on the left it's mostly rusty now)

The horizontal bar in the centre was wire brushed back, cured with a paint on rust converter then airbrushed with grey primer.

The right hand wheel was sandblasted, though not completely to bare metal, then airbrushed with grey primer.

As you can see the cleaner surface and lack of rust underneath means the wheel is still looking relatively beautiful, compared to the left hand even though it was treated with rust converter. I have no doubt if I had sprayed over the wheel with a top enamel coat it'd still look flawless.

So there you go, surface preparation really is as important as the label says!
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyNumbat For This Post:
Old 03-13-2019, 02:26:42 AM
Registered

Great experiment and result.
Years ago Selleys had a water based red primer that was unbeatable. Nothing else on the market would work as good or work so well and even brushed on dried perfectly flat and smooth as if it was sprayed. No longer available and every so often I send them an email asking when are they going to bring it back on the market. The replacement paint they claim to be better is nothing but rubbish and I wont use it at all and have left the lid off to dry for disposal.

Linseed oil mixed and heated with mineral turps is also a good way to preserve the "rustic look". Don't know how it would go trying to paint over it.