Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engines and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engines and Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engines and Collectibles

Maytag washing machine question

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 367 times

Old 09-17-2019, 08:38:39 PM
Registered

Default Maytag washing machine question

My next project is to restore a Maytag washing machine. The serial number is 505222R. From the little research I’ve done it’s a model A or B. It came without and engine or electric motor. I have several running Maytag Engines, but what engine came originally with the washer? I haven’t been able to find information about this model washing machine. The paint is all gone and it’s mostly just plain aluminum now. Does anyone know what color this model was originally painted? And what areas were painted and what was left polished?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Brickman301 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2019, 11:41:11 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Maytag washing machine question

A and B models were made Feb 1930 to Sept 1933, it would have had a single cylinder long base engine at the time, you could put a long base twin on if you can find one. The entire washer was painted except the crown, inside and under the lid were polished aluminum. As for a color I have had several washers apart of that era and I have found a decent amount of paint on the backsides of the belt gaurds, some paint seems more green-grey and some just a pale green. I went to Automotive and pick a color I thought was close to original, but I also painted washers for other people that wanted a pearl pink, a pale blue, and one harvest gold, all of them looked great so paint it how you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1513.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	344334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1517.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	344335   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1883.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	344336   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1768.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	344337  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gasenginerick For This Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 07:20:11 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasenginerick View Post
A and B models were made Feb 1930 to Sept 1933, it would have had a single cylinder long base engine at the time, you could put a long base twin on if you can find one. The entire washer was painted except the crown, inside and under the lid were polished aluminum. As for a color I have had several washers apart of that era and I have found a decent amount of paint on the backsides of the belt gaurds, some paint seems more green-grey and some just a pale green. I went to Automotive and pick a color I thought was close to original, but I also painted washers for other people that wanted a pearl pink, a pale blue, and one harvest gold, all of them looked great so paint it how you want.
Wow those are beautiful! Thanks for the help. About the paint, do you use a specific type of paint, and primer? I know aluminum and certain types of paint donít always get along. Isnít it because the aluminum oxidizes so fast, that it has problems adhering? Itís been a while since Iíve painted anything aluminum.
I was thinking of painting mine a lightĒ sea greenĒ color, but after seeing yours in a harvest gold, Iím not sure what I want. That color definitely makes it stand out!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:34:27 AM
Registered

Another question I forgot to ask, whatís the best way to clean and polish the aluminum.
Mine has very heavy oxidation.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:44:24 PM
Subscriber

Sea green would be nice, thats why it's hard only having one machine they're like gas engines one is never enough. I used Omni epoxy primer and Nason paint that I bought at Automoive supply, the Nason comes in machinery paint, and ful cryl ful cryl needs hardner and is more expensive but does shine a little more but the gold one is painted with Nason machinery paint I added hardner even though it doesn't require it and it turned out very nice and saved some money. Any good paint should be fine as long as your washer is free of loose paint, grease, and dirt. As for the crown I wet sand them I believe I started with 400 grit and went up to 1000 it will be a lot of sanding you an try using some rubbing compound and buffing it after you sand it it helps get rid of fine scratches, I didn't bother on my last machine, to make it shine I use Mothers mag and aluminum polish. any other questions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1685.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	344352   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1686.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	344353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1689.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	344354  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gasenginerick For This Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 07:06:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasenginerick View Post
Sea green would be nice, thats why it's hard only having one machine they're like gas engines one is never enough. I used Omni epoxy primer and Nason paint that I bought at Automoive supply, the Nason comes in machinery paint, and ful cryl ful cryl needs hardner and is more expensive but does shine a little more but the gold one is painted with Nason machinery paint I added hardner even though it doesn't require it and it turned out very nice and saved some money. Any good paint should be fine as long as your washer is free of loose paint, grease, and dirt. As for the crown I wet sand them I believe I started with 400 grit and went up to 1000 it will be a lot of sanding you an try using some rubbing compound and buffing it after you sand it it helps get rid of fine scratches, I didn't bother on my last machine, to make it shine I use Mothers mag and aluminum polish. any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks again for the help, Iíll look into the brand of paint and primer you recommended. Hopefully Iím going to start working on the washing machine this weekend. Iíve got a lot to do before Iím ready for paint. Iím pretty sure I have a long base single engine around here. I took a quick look at the washer the other night, Seams like everything moves as it should, but it needs a lot of cleaning up.
Things I know Iím going to need is a belt, and the caster wheels.
Does anyone know a source for the wheels?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:53:01 AM
Subscriber

Belts I bought at the hardware store, if you need the entire castor you might have to look on ebay or FB Maytag Gas Engine & Wringer Washer Washing Machines Antique Collectibles
Group someone might have a good set, if you have the castors and the wheels are junk I just bought new wheels from Mcmaster Carr ground off the rivet from the castor and put on new wheels with a nut and bolt.
The Following User Says Thank You to gasenginerick For This Post: