Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Help ID this engine

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2411 times

Old 06-12-2007, 06:35:13 PM
Registered

Default Help ID this engine

Need some help ID'ing this engine. I found it in a barn and plan on trying to get it running after some restoration/rebuild work. I can't find any markings on the engine anywhere. It has a vane style governor, Zenith carburetor, coil & points ignition, mechanical oil pump, 2 compression rings and an oil control ring on the piston. I believe it is a Briggs and Stratton due to the appearance of where a B & S decal was on the side of the gas tank but i'm not sure. If someone could point me in the right direction for a carburetor rebuild kit I would apperciate it.

More pics here:

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/BrayTypeR/

Thanks, Brandon

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2007, 06:50:07 PM
Sky

Default Re: Help ID this engine

that appears to be a model N from what i can see. yes, you are correct. it is a Briggs. a model N Briggs & Stratton with the small size carburator. 4 bolt desighn.

Last edited by Sky; 06-12-2007 at 06:55:50 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:56:27 PM
Registered

Brandon,
This engine appears to be a Briggs Model I (It also could be an N) my model I, is exactly like this engine. This engine uses a 2" piston and is often referred to as a 2" bore engine. That carb is not a Zenith; Briggs never used them the carb you have is a "flo-jet" a real popular carb on this size of engine. The carb kit is still available it is part number 291691 a search of eBay revealed a few for sale, but any engine dealer should be able to get one. These engines run nice and are relatively easy to work, with a simple mag and a coil which is almost always good.
Enjoy
~ Jonathan
Old 06-12-2007, 07:02:20 PM
Registered

Thanks, for all the information so far. This will get me started in the restoration. I was assuming it was a Zenith carburetor because the metal strap that holds the glass bowl on has "Zenith" stamped on both sides of it. I guess someone put this bowl on from another engine.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:28:18 PM
Sky

That's an N model. I models had that 4 bolt protrusion casted to the rear of the block. looks like this particular engine you have here was possibly mounted on a Reel mower i can see becouse of the brace bolted to the head. a rod came from the mower's handle bars to that brace (or so i call it that)
to hold or support the handle bar of the mower in place.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:14:24 AM
Registered

Sky,i been readin' this thread and can't hold back no moe! Don't forget about the NP(p being direct mounting)(i have 2 of 'em) so model I's were not the only engines that had those 4 mounting holes on the pto side.Also,model N's had 7 colling fins,not including the head,while I's have 5.And i think,but not sure,that n's have a longer stroke(taller block) than a model I.It looks to me that this engine in question is a N.Here's an NP.Click image for larger version

Name:	1947 briggs model npr6.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	19869

Last edited by Scott Wenrich; 06-13-2007 at 11:22:20 AM. Reason: Wrong pic attached
Old 06-13-2007, 11:39:19 AM
Sky

the one thing thats got me stumped is the base though. I have a N that looks exactly the same in the picture but the base is diferent i think...i dont remember. and am too lazy to go look. lol .................................................. .............................................Now that you guys mention it, it could be a 5....N's and 5's are hard to tell apart if you didnt know the diference.

Last edited by Sky; 06-14-2007 at 01:24:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:11:54 PM
Registered

Hi Sky,no pun intended,I believe there were several Oil sumps available for the n.You may have just one of many variations.I have one with the mag side hand start assembly on it.Was looking at Brandon's motor again and see that it's all cast iron so he may have a early N.Without a id tag he'll have to dig into it to find out.He's a pic of my Nr6.Note that the gear case is cast with the block.I believe she's a 1942-3 range don't quite remember.Gonna have to tag muh motors! Click image for larger version

Name:	Briggs NR6 (2).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	19874
Old 06-13-2007, 06:15:21 PM
Registered

Thanks again for all the information. I believe ya'll are correct with it being a Model N. It has a 2" stroke and from what information I have found the I had a 1.5" stroke. There is a "45" in the casting on the back of the flywheel, would this date it as a 1945?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:12:40 PM
Registered

Hi Brandon.Yup.That will be the year of manufacture,if no one has changed the flywheel over the years.If you have the motor apart,on the back of the magneto plate there should be the same number stamped on it.There should also be a letter on the back of the flywheel and mag plate.These will indicate approx month,(a,b,c=jan,feb,march etc)of manufacture.The two parts may have different letters but certain parts were made earlier or later than others so don't be alarmed if they don't match.

Scott
Old 06-14-2007, 12:23:41 AM

How many cooling fins are on the cylinder of your engine? If it has 6 fins, then it is a model I or 5, if it has 7 fins, then it is a model N. Most likely it would be a model I or N. They made less then 5,000 model 5 engines.
SmokStak Member #28
Old 06-14-2007, 06:58:27 PM
Registered

It has 7 cooling fins on it.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40:00 PM
Subscriber

That is what Sky was trying to tell you. A Briggs model N.

I have found from reading his posts, that he knows what he is talking about.

He knows his Briggs engines.

Good job, Sky,

Jim
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51:30 PM
Sky

well,...im not an expert but i try to help the best i can. sometimes i hit...sometimes i miss. lol
Old 07-24-2007, 07:34:05 PM
Registered

Just an update on the Model N. I got it running on July 7 and found an air cleaner and gas cap for it (not pictured) at the Threshers Reunion in Denton NC. Here is a few pictures from the rebuild. I have now started on a Briggs Model WMB and have a 1950 Reo coming.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:43:39 PM
Registered

Hello,
Where did you get that weird sediment bowl? That is cool looking, I've never seen one like that!

Thanks!
Richard
Old 07-25-2007, 06:53:09 PM
Registered

The sediment bowl was on the engine when I got it. It says Zenith on each side of the strap holding the bowl on. I have no idea what it came off of.

Brandon