Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Help with a Clinton 4 hp engine and carburetor

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 5209 times

Old 05-21-2008, 12:02:33 PM
sbunjan

Default Help with a Clinton 4 hp engine and carburetor

Hello,
I am new to this group, and am unsure if I am doing this right, but a freind gave me a go cart for my boys yesterday, he said he has had it for years and never rand it, it is missing the gas tank, and carb.
the only markings are a couple of nearly scrtached out labels that say Clinton 4 HP and another clinton sticker on the pull rope assembly...
I turned it over and it has complression, and when I accidently laid my arm across the top, I got a good spark, so i'd like to see if I can get it running..
how would you proceed?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 01:09:36 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: Help with a clinton 4 hp

Sbunjan;

It sounds to me like all you need is a carburetor and a fuel tank. You might want to go to this link and post over on that side of Harry's. It's all small air cooled engines. You might even find your parts there.

(Moved to small engine forum.)

Good Luck.

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 05-21-2008, 01:19:05 PM
sbunjan

Default Clinton 4HP Help with carburetor

(This is a repost from the wrong board, hope you all can help!)

Hello,
I am new to this group, and am unsure if I am doing this right, but a freind gave me a go cart for my boys yesterday, he said he has had it for years and never rand it, it is missing the gas tank, and carb.
the only markings are a couple of nearly scrtached out labels that say Clinton 4 HP and another clinton sticker on the pull rope assembly...
I turned it over and it has complression, and when I accidently laid my arm across the top, I got a good spark, so i'd like to see if I can get it running..
how would you proceed?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:07:25 PM
sbunjan

Default Re: Clinton Help

well I have been searching and searching and cann not come up wioth more information other than there is a similar looking clinton on ebay. it claims it to be a model 100 103
is that a 4 hp like mine?
all i really need is a carb, alsp need to know if it's a 2 stroke or 4..any help would be great
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46:56 PM
Registered

Being 4hp it wont be 2cycle post some pictures so we can help more.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:17:40 AM
sbunjan

Great news...sorta...i found the number, after taking of 3 or 4 layers of bad spray paint, it is a 492 0304-028..
so while thats good to know I am even furhter in the dark because I can't find any info online about this particular model, let alone hoe to find a carb for it..also there is some little knob that turns slightly and can be pulled out a bit on the side of the engine just to the left of where the carb mounts...what does that do..
thanks for your expertise...oh yeah, what year was the 492 built?
Old 05-23-2008, 04:45:25 PM
Registered

I dont know how to date clintons but Im pretty sure yours is an aluminum block probably around the early 60s or so. Im not sure what knob you talking about please post some pictures. I have a clinton carb that might work I can at least identify one for you. Please post pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to The one banger boy For This Post:
Old 05-23-2008, 07:23:06 PM
sbunjan

Default Re: Help with a Clinton 4 hp engine and carburetor

OKay I posted my pics at http://photobucket.com/sbunjan because I don't know how to add them here, please take a look and let me know what you think
sam
Old 05-23-2008, 11:39:44 PM
Registered

Well it looks like its got a centrifugal clutch. And the gas tank mounting brakets are pretty bent but probably fixable. Now the knob is hard to tell but it looks like an on off toggle switch. The engine may at one time ran a pump or generator because the switch is common among those engines. The block may be cast iron its got a similar set up to my cast iron, just stick a magnet to it if it sticks its cast if it doesnt its aluminum. The braket location makes me think it had a round gas tank. The decal is of the newer clintons 60s or so.

http://ebay.com/CLINTON-ENGINE-VINTAGE-CARBURETOR-WALBRO-BRIGGS
heres a carb that should work
The Following User Says Thank You to The one banger boy For This Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 01:23:09 AM
sbunjan

Thats awesome as I am the one bidding on it...hopefully I will win, because i don't see much else out there on the web!

when i get it running, I'll send you a video of it!
thanks again!
sam
Old 05-24-2008, 08:17:10 AM
Registered

That's a governor shaft, not a switch. Your carb linkage hooks to it.
CJ
The Following User Says Thank You to CJBennett For This Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 09:30:36 AM
Subscriber

sbunjan
The carburetor you are bidding on looks to be a carter model N which should work fine. This style of clinton also used a tillitson model ML7A, so if you loose the auction, you could look for one of those also, they are fairly common.

here is a link to one
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=ml7A

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig DeShong For This Post:
Old 05-24-2008, 10:16:56 AM
sbunjan

wow, you all sure know your stuff, and I thank you so much for your expertise. I will look into both auctions and try and get at least one of them, because a engine without a carb, is well just a block of steel, am I right>?
have a great day!
Old 05-24-2008, 10:34:02 PM
Registered

Your engine looks like a 494-XXXX-XXX which is 3.6hp cast iron engine. Early 1960's.

Can't be a 492-XXXX-XXX unless someone mixed sheet metal. The 492 is an aluminum eninge and the picture is clearly cast iron.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:10:14 AM
sbunjan

well my engine sure is made of iron, the magnets don't lie, and I suppose it is possible the sheild that claims it to be a 492 could be the wrong sheet, but will tht carb I won on ebay still work?
Old 05-26-2008, 12:03:28 AM
Registered

Yeah the carb will still work, clintons mixed iron and aluminum. as in the head is aluminum an the base is cast. One thing I really like about my clinton is the fact that it has a dipstick that is one inovation that they did right and I wish briggs had used on there early engines. On ebay look for the store "smith services" he is a fellow staker and good for parts and ships quickly hes known as briggsnut. there youll find a "disposible" air filter but will last about a life time its a nos clinton part.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:58:29 AM
sbunjan

After careful thought, i have decided to pass this project on to someone who knows more than I do, plus I was donated two newer briggs engines for the kids gocarts...i am considering sellit, the 492 engine on ebay, any idea what I should expect to get from it?