Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Way Back At Milton Steam Era!

this thread has 327 replies and has been viewed 53215 times

Old 01-06-2009, 07:08:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,981 Times in 2,457 Posts
Default Re: Way Back At Milton Steam Era!

this is great to see all the pictures of the show over the years i remeber all the show back in the 90's and remeber the 110 being their what huge piece of equiptment that was i have to echo uncle g's thoughts about milton it is truly is become a city of sorts i just hope they keep the the town worded as town not city for tax and historical reasons thank mr k for all this i do not like milton anymore i am glad to see that things like the fair and steam era keep on going but would like to see them both at the museum it would be a better place for these event to being held i think we need these events to educate and maybe interest them about the hobby and this stuff alot of people around her especially the newer resident complain about the noise but common it is twice a year it is noisy in the fairground think were they came from they had lots more noise to complian about their was acctully a patition started by the reseidents in the new devlopment next to the fair grounds to have steam era and the fair and any other events put to a stop i really dont know what has happend to milton in the past 5 -10 but milton has lost its values i think sorry to ramble on i will also have to watch my mouth or i will say something that will get me in trouble.john
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 12:20:52 AM
Registered

I got some pictures back today from some old negatives i sent out to have printed. Regetly some i hoped for were poor at best but these are pretty good.

My best estimate based on other pictures i had developed place these 1967.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamColiapie_steamEracirca1967.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	47273   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamEra cira1967ds.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	47274  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Stirk For This Post:
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01:46 AM
Registered

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

The Chey truck belonged to Vince Riddel of Newmarket. Vince did boiler work at his shop there. His engines have been discussed here before. He owned a 17 Sawyer, 20 Goodison and a Abell portable. I recall seeing the portable at his dad's place at Baldwin, where the engines were stored, but don't recall it at a show.

Robert
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stirk View Post
I got some pictures back today from some old negatives i sent out to have printed. Regetly some i hoped for were poor at best but these are pretty good.

My best estimate based on other pictures i had developed place these 1967.
Those are great photos.

If You have the negatives and a scanner that is capable of scanning negatives that is a great way to get digital pictures with great resolution without having to spend a bunch of money for developing costs. You can also use some of the graphic programs to fix up or change the contreast etc on the photos this way.

You can also share them much easier with friends that way. If you need more info get back to me.

Cheers

Don
Old 12-18-2009, 12:15:40 AM
Registered

Default Re: Way Back At Milton SteamEra!

Hey there G..Dad was looking at the picture of Daves calliope and he is pretty sure that the Goodison pulling it is the one him and Bob Lind owned. Dad says that that is Dennis Webb at the controls.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:21:13 PM
Subscriber

is the minnie of webs still running i think it still goes to sherkston? also what happened to ernie allens engine is it still around i knew it came to alot of other shows and was at alot of first shows years ago seen it on one of the post that shows the listings of steam engines for that year i did not know it ever came to milton i guess before mitchell started having a show.John
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37:12 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,641 Times in 7,481 Posts

John,
The Minnie is in NY, owned and re-boilered by the Harris lads! Do you mean the 17 Geroge White of Ernie Allen's? If so, it is in the St. Marys area and is still running.
Might as well place this one here. It is also on the JI Case Pictures thread. It comes from fellow Stakker SDP and is an earlier Milton scene of the 75 Case that still comes to the show. We decided that the operator was a gentleman named Leyland Nelson who was a regular show attendee, also from the lovely State of New York!
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	case milton.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	105114  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 05:00:05 PM
Sponsor

Okay! Not sure if I ever posted these? Just by chance, I came across these yesterday whilst looking for something else (again!)! These are clippings from the October 1967 MacLean's Magazine. Lots o' memories there!
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton8.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	105115   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton9.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	105116   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton7.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	105117  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 05:02:15 PM
Sponsor

And a few more from that article!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton1.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	105118   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	105119   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	105120  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04:22 PM
Sponsor

And the rest!
You old timers can identify the people!
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	milton4.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	105121   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton5.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	105122   Click image for larger version

Name:	milton6.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	105123  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 06:12:18 PM
Subscriber

jim and guy heaslip brought a copy of the article to the steam era last year for the 50th tent they had it blown up to size so you could read the article very interesting peice on the show to bad they dont do more coverage in magazines anymore heck the milton canadian champion just does a two line article it is too bad the show in the early years was a big thing in town as was everything else got to love small towns i heard they closed the schools in town when the mcdonalds first came to town and back then they didnt close the schools even if their was alot of snow on the ground it was this way when i went to school in the public and middle school years come high school they started to get to soft now they close if theirs a dusting on the ground.John

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

rick what was the name of the fellow who had the return flu george white that is in the oam or country heritage park it used to come to the show before it was donated to the museum i belive the fellow was a member the musum when operated under the provencial goverment used to park it out side gamberial barn as centre peace i also think they used to fire it up when they fist got it it know sits in the steam exibit building.John
Old 04-22-2011, 07:07:32 PM
Sponsor

CaseR,
As far as I know, that old White was always in the museum collection - though I welcome any correction? The operator was a museum employee whose name I won't mention here. He is a very nice chap but I would respect his privacy.
G.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 03:51:04 PM
Registered

CaseR, are you thinking of Jim Carney? could be wrong on the first name.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scott H For This Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 08:58:37 PM
Subscriber

here is another picture of the calliope at the show in 1968.John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	514095959233e47e771ab.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	128982  
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18:45 PM
Registered

These pictures are excellent G! Wish the steam shows were still like this. The fair grounds look so different now. I can't imagine what it'll look like when 50 years from now...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elitesteamgirl For This Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:08:24 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesteamgirl View Post
These pictures are excellent G! Wish the steam shows were still like this. The fair grounds look so different now. I can't imagine what it'll look like when 50 years from now...

the fair grounds did expand over the years and buildings were added wich some now are gone the fair grounds now is a fish bowl hard to say for how many more years the show and grounds could be their the way milton is growing.John
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55:10 AM
Registered

So true, by the time I'm the age of Onkel G, it may be gone!!! Hopefully us youngin's can keep it going!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elitesteamgirl For This Post:
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00:14 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Unhappy Re: Way Back At Milton Steam Era!

It's a shame to say, but I've seen quite a few steam shows go downhill from what I would say were their "glory days" back when I was growing up-and that wasn't THAT many years ago! Some shows I can remember used to have about 12-15 engines are down to 3 or 4, some that used to have 30-40 struggle to have 12-15 now, others that had at least a couple of engines have NONE anymore...darn shame, and wish I knew how to reverse it. Guess with some owners getting older and passing on, boilers getting older and thinner, and politics rearing its ugly head, all helps take it's toll on shows and steam engine attendance.

Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07:53 AM
Registered

Gee whiz
Case T (John) ….you make it sound like Steam Era is on life support.
WHY?
Yes I agree we are a little bit bottle necked from an ability to expand so to speak but the club does reasonalbly well considering no where near enough of the 600 members step up to help when its needed. (But there is always plenty to criticize or complain)

Facts
1) I have been past president & closely involve for some time. My information is accurate!

2) From a reliable source the Milton Fairgrounds is owned by the Crown and only an act from Parliament will change that. The H a l ton Ag society is our landlord. They have bills & responsibilities too, so lavish improvements do not come free to them either.

3) You make it sound like all the buildings are gone? One little storage shed that chickens used to be shown in & more recently stored garbage cans for last half century. There is good washrooms, covered Grandstand for 1000 people & five other decent buildings to use. A decent track for parades & tractor pulls etc. Big infield all viewed from grandstands.
WHAT IS MISSING in our soup bowl?

4) Equipment participation at Steam-Era is not suffering either. Last year there was a least a dozen engines. (There could have been more but trucking is very expensive, find the club another 12Gs & I will get you 25 engines) I saw no shortage of tractors (not counting but I dare say a 100+? , lots of gas engines, antique cars, a special display of David Brown, Sawmill, shingle mills & tons of tractor pulls.
WHAT ELSE ARE WE MISSING?

5) I have seen & audited our financial statements. You need to come to a meeting (like the annual meeting) coming up. You will see that there have been few rocks unturned to be thrifty yet still produce a decent show in economic hard times. My hat is off to the current board of Directors and all those who have volunteered again in 2011
Steam-Era produced by “Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers”
Is alive & well in Milton Ontario 2012.

Milton by the way is the fastest growing community in NORTH AMERICA as of a year ago. In my opinion and it IS ONLY MINE…. a lot of familys now are too many generations separated from agriculture. Its hard to get there interest to come when they have never lived near a farm let a lone been on one. Rural people used to support all the steam shows. Grampa used to go to the “Reunion” Grand kids went in tow. Now the grand kids have children & they are city dwellers. Figure a solution to attract them and you will need to expand the parking lots.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David Stirk For This Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 01:12:04 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stirk View Post
Gee whiz
Case T (John) ….you make it sound like Steam Era is on life support.
WHY?
Yes I agree we are a little bit bottle necked from an ability to expand so to speak but the club does reasonalbly well considering no where near enough of the 600 members step up to help when its needed. (But there is always plenty to criticize or complain)

Facts
1) I have been past president & closely involve for some time. My information is accurate!

2) From a reliable source the Milton Fairgrounds is owned by the Crown and only an act from Parliament will change that. The H a l ton Ag society is our landlord. They have bills & responsibilities too, so lavish improvements do not come free to them either.

3) You make it sound like all the buildings are gone? One little storage shed that chickens used to be shown in & more recently stored garbage cans for last half century. There is good washrooms, covered Grandstand for 1000 people & five other decent buildings to use. A decent track for parades & tractor pulls etc. Big infield all viewed from grandstands.
WHAT IS MISSING in our soup bowl?

4) Equipment participation at Steam-Era is not suffering either. Last year there was a least a dozen engines. (There could have been more but trucking is very expensive, find the club another 12Gs & I will get you 25 engines) I saw no shortage of tractors (not counting but I dare say a 100+? , lots of gas engines, antique cars, a special display of David Brown, Sawmill, shingle mills & tons of tractor pulls.
WHAT ELSE ARE WE MISSING?

5) I have seen & audited our financial statements. You need to come to a meeting (like the annual meeting) coming up. You will see that there have been few rocks unturned to be thrifty yet still produce a decent show in economic hard times. My hat is off to the current board of Directors and all those who have volunteered again in 2011
Steam-Era produced by “Ontario Steam & Antique Preservers”
Is alive & well in Milton Ontario 2012.

Milton by the way is the fastest growing community in NORTH AMERICA as of a year ago. In my opinion and it IS ONLY MINE…. a lot of familys now are too many generations separated from agriculture. Its hard to get there interest to come when they have never lived near a farm let a lone been on one. Rural people used to support all the steam shows. Grampa used to go to the “Reunion” Grand kids went in tow. Now the grand kids have children & they are city dwellers. Figure a solution to attract them and you will need to expand the parking lots.
dave sorry i upset you by what i said but the truth is the truth the fairboard does owen the property as i can say this being that i am a member of the fairboard aswell first of all the board and members need to get together and vote before any desion is made but we still need to be thinking of this the grounds will NOT be their forever face it if such a dision was to be made the steam club has to be ready same with the meeting hall that area their is going to be devoloped shortley we dont know what plans the town has for that park and hall and with the grounds yes we have lost alot of grounds their was alot of STEAM ENGINES or GARDEN TRACTORS their but go ask the gas engine guys what they think they have lost more land in the last two years and their have been several building torn down over the years the last one should have come down along time ago thing was a eye soar and you say the grounds are great well thats funny this past year we had to get the fair board people to come in and fix fences ect... every year the same thing we have to clean up before we set up and then they jack up the rental for what to come into a mess i hope you know aswell their will be no shower use in the washrooms this year as the fairboard has taken the shower out of the building well actully they are just shutting the water supply of to the building this should be good for members paying $20 to camp pay more get less yep that works for me say what you will the club will get a big shock anyway i dont want the thread to stray off here.John