Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Brunner air compressor missing valve

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2700 times

Old 12-25-2009, 09:13:53 PM
Registered

Photo Brunner air compressor missing valve

i was given a couple brunner compressors for christmas. the oldest of the 2 i would really like to get working so i can run it off of one of my old engines or antique electric motors. unfortunatly its missing a valve in its head. im not quite sure what its purpos is since there are 2 other valves in the head but if someone could help me identify what each valve does what (im assuming the top one is the compressors pressure output port). and if some one could identify the missing component or point me torwards a replacement it would be apprieciated very much!

my other brunner is an early 20's single cyl. it has a small tank under the pump itself. i belive its purpose is to collect condensation before it enters the main tank. the large tank and a couple other components are missing, but i have the original 1/2hp westinghouse repulsion start induction motor with brunner tags on it. i did get the motor wired up after replacing the wires the last owner cut off, i also had to phase out the coils to determin which wires get connected together. but the motor runs smooth as a sewing machine! the compressor has a small pipe comming off the tank that i belive originally went to a pneumatic cylender which would lift the idler pulley off the flat belt to stop the compressor from pumping after the air reached a certain psi. unfortunatly thats another missing component. but im very pleased to have 2 original very decent condition brunner compressors and a motor that originally powered the bigger of the 2.

Thanks in advance for any comments, or advice.
Ted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Teddy 417.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	69973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Teddy 415.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	69974  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2009, 06:42:13 PM
Registered

Default Re: Brunner air compressor missing valve

i belive i have located the part i need to fix this little compressor. i cant wait to get it working with a motor or engine!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:37:02 AM
Registered

Look forward to maybe seeing a video of it running ?
The Following User Says Thank You to diesciple For This Post:
Old 01-11-2010, 01:24:43 PM
Registered

you will see it run! last night i mounted it to a wooden board and i belted a 1/4hp GE motor to the pump with a jackshaft inbetween the motor and pump. i did this because the pump has alot of compression and would have taken a larger motor. also i didnt have an electric motor that spins slow enough. so i used different ratio pulleys to get the compressor running at approx 222 rpm is my rough calculation. the motor spins at 1725 rpm. it all seems to work ok and the motor seems plenty powerfull. i still have to work on the compressor valves though. its not building up pressure because of leaky valves and fittings at the moment. but it sure trys to build up pressure. one revolution of its pulley pegs my guage to 40 psi.