Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

Need some help in Illinois

this thread has 0 replies and has been viewed 1366 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24:13 PM
Registered

Default Need some help in Illinois

Hello all, I am a newbie here. I collect old iron and try to make it run or work again. I want to save it from the scrap man if I can.
So, I have a new project that I brought home last week.
It is a Viking Garden Tractor. Made by Allied Motor corp.
The tractor or serial number is 35F189.
So, from doing some reading it was built in 1935 and is number 189 in that production run.
This tractor is on steel with cast iron lugs/spikes on the wheels.
The engine is free as well as the gear case.
The magneto will not spark.
I took it apart to check things out. The points and condenser need replacing as usual.
After taking the case apart it seems there may be something missing inside. I would assume there should be some magnets inside surrounding the rotor shaft. Well, if this is the case then they are gone.
The impulse coupler seems like it is working ok.
I have had several engines with mags on them over the years but they all worked fine when I got them, so I am no expert at all on mags.
I have looked for a name on this mag housing and cannot find one. The engine on this machine is a two cylinder.
The mag has three poles on it and another port for a wire as well.
This is my first multicylinder engine with a mag for spark so this is all new territory for me.
For all I know this may not even be the correct mag for it.
Would any of you out there have a picture of the mag on your Viking that I could see? I can post some pics of my tractor as well.
Will do that after I figure out how to post them.
I really would like to have this machine running again someday.

Thanks for any help and thanks for this forum too.

Steve