Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Monarch 10ee lathe

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 8142 times

Old 07-04-2012, 12:45:19 AM
Registered

Default Monarch 10ee lathe

I have a bid on this 10ee and can't get much information about it. Can the ways be repaired? I could always part it out.

Q: Hello, can you give anymore information on the Monarch lathe?

A: It is good for parts. The motor and ways are pretty worn out. It could be fixed, but we run a production shop so we don't have time to play with it.

Jul 02, 2012
Q: Is the motor the only problem with the lathe? Thanks

A: The drive for the motor is not original and the ways have some wear. Thanks for your interest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10EE.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	138938  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58:49 AM
Registered

Default Re: Monarch 10ee lathe

A good place to ask those questions is the Practical Machinist web site.

Do read the rules on posting because the moderators are fanatical with their rules. A good question would be "can the ways on a Monarch 10ee be replaced?"
Old 07-04-2012, 08:03:11 AM
Registered

You could probably find a machine rebuild place that can put Turcite on the ways and scrape it in.

http://devitt-turcite.com/

Or you may not have to do anything. Home use machine accuracy is probably not as critical as a production machine.

Jim in Minnesota
Old 07-04-2012, 09:36:48 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,336 Times in 516 Posts

that looks like one i had in the school shop where i taught. It was on a ship & had some sort of wierd DC drive. Monarch is an excelent machine.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47:15 PM
Registered

I was at the shop when the bidding ended, it went for $460.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:42:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,884 Times in 3,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 930dreamer View Post
I was at the shop when the bidding ended, it went for $460.
There's enough iron there, it would probably scrap for more than that.

But there's always "The Next One"
Old 08-17-2012, 01:16:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by froelich View Post
Not really a good hobby machine.
Why would this machine not be a good hobby lathe?

Be well...
Old 08-17-2012, 08:10:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,732 Times in 1,560 Posts

I've had a 10EE for 3 years, and in my opinion, there is no better hobby lathe. Granted, having some familiarity with vacuum tubes and electronics is required if you want to maintain the drive yourself. (Unless you get a motor-generator version)...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38:01 AM
Subscriber

Excellent buy for who bought it.
Monarch will buy it from you for a core, of around 2000.
The ways are flame hard, and ground.
I just got a quote from Monarch, resurfacing and rebuild options,
Shocking!! They are excellent machines. I maintain two of them at the shop.

---------- Post added at 08:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

It is eazy to replace the VS motor in them now days.
There are cheap variable frequency dives available on e-bay.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51:33 PM
eMail NOT Working

Talking Re: Monarch 10ee lathe

I have a Monarch 10EE... 1942, with the Ward-Leonard motor-generator variable-speed DC drive.

Mine is old and well-worn, leaks oil out the backgear box, has a fussy speed dial, the cross-slide is sloppy, the paint is 8 layers thick and chipped in many places... when it's cold, it doesn't like to start up right away, and it only runs about halfway up the speed range (field suppression isn't working).

It is, by far, the finest hobby or toolmaker's lathe to ever apply pressure to the surface of the earth.

Mine came from Oak Ridge National Labs. Anybody wanna venture a guess what it was doing at ORNL in '42???

When I bought mine, I purchased it at a government auction... and the only other bidder was Monarch.

They strip them down, completely rebuild them, and install new electronic variable-speed drives, and top notch tooling... DRO systems and really, really pretty paint... and the going price is somewhere around that of an average first home.

As worn and sloppy as mine is, I can still split thousanths, and yield a mirror finish. On the WORST of days, it will cut CIRCLES around any other domestic precision lathe, and any imported lathe that comes within a mile of it, is little more than low-grade scrap metal by comparison. I wouldn't THINK of selling mine, and I don't plan on taking it out-of-service for any rebuild work until I have a second one on-hand to stay ready.

Any more questions?
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 02:02:23 AM
Subscriber

The 10EE makes a fine hobby machine if you can find one that is not too badly worn out for reasonable cost - especially if it is ready to run. Pricing for these things seems to be all over the map. Best to find one with tooling, or at least chucks. These are fairly common D3 (if my memory serves me right) but the original Monarch chucks are very high quality.

I never heard of Turcite on the ways but it is fine for building up the surfaces on the underside of the carriage or tailstock. The Monarch bed ways are hardened but if the machine has seen a lot of use then the cross slide ways and especially the tail stock bottom may be worn.

One big problem with a 10EE is their sheer mass, which makes them difficult and expensive to move. At somewhere between one and two tons, you won't have a buddy or two help you carry it down the basement stairs, no matter how much beer you offer or drink first.

The other problem is the various different drives they had through the years. There are forums that describe these (as mentioned before, Practical Machinist is one site) but restoring the drive, especially the vacuum tube variant, can become an exotic hobby in it's own right. The earlier Ward Leonard drive is a joy to puzzle through, if you like that sort of thing-all the finer points of how DC generators and motors and relay logic REALLY work all wrapped up in one tidy 400 pound package shoved in under the chip pan.

One answer to the drive problem is to retrofit the machine with a modern variable frequency motor, but do try to keep the original two-speed drive on the motor output.

Powering these is also a mixed bag. Some of the original drives require 3 phase (the Ward Leonard does) and others can potentially be run off of single phase with some modification (I believe the vacuum tube variant can be run from single phase but be prepared for about a thousand wire connections). There are other later versions. Some (perhaps most?) of the variable frequency retrofits can be run on either 3 phase or 220 V single phase but the power will be lower on single phase.

If you do go after a 10EE, look for a "square dial," as these have a bigger following and are still somewhat supported by Monarch. They also have a 1/2 inch bigger swing than the earlier "round dial" machines. "Square dial" and "round dial" refer to the appearance of the thread and feed selector on the headstock. I made the mistake of getting a round dial machine, and am having trouble finding some tooling, such as a steady rest.

The 10EE is about as rigid a machine as you will find. As an example, mine has no trouble taking cuts 50 thou deep in RC60 hardened steel shafting (using the right carbide, of course) and the machine doesn't squirm a bit! It is also a very smooth running machine that won't telegraph a bunch of nasty motor noise into your workpiece.
The Following User Says Thank You to beezerbill For This Post:
Old 12-10-2012, 09:04:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
I have a Monarch 10EE... 1942, with the Ward-Leonard motor-generator variable-speed DC drive.

Mine is old and well-worn, leaks oil out the backgear box, has a fussy speed dial, the cross-slide is sloppy, the paint is 8 layers thick and chipped in many places... when it's cold, it doesn't like to start up right away, and it only runs about halfway up the speed range (field suppression isn't working).

It is, by far, the finest hobby or toolmaker's lathe to ever apply pressure to the surface of the earth.

Mine came from Oak Ridge National Labs. Anybody wanna venture a guess what it was doing at ORNL in '42???

When I bought mine, I purchased it at a government auction... and the only other bidder was Monarch.

They strip them down, completely rebuild them, and install new electronic variable-speed drives, and top notch tooling... DRO systems and really, really pretty paint... and the going price is somewhere around that of an average first home.

As worn and sloppy as mine is, I can still split thousanths, and yield a mirror finish. On the WORST of days, it will cut CIRCLES around any other domestic precision lathe, and any imported lathe that comes within a mile of it, is little more than low-grade scrap metal by comparison. I wouldn't THINK of selling mine, and I don't plan on taking it out-of-service for any rebuild work until I have a second one on-hand to stay ready.

Any more questions?
Hello Dave, I'm still looking for a lathe.

Shawn in Amarillo