Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Gasket library for paper cutters?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3298 times

Old 11-23-2013, 02:15:48 PM
Registered

Default Gasket library for paper cutters?

This is still in the early stage of thinking but I would like your input on the idea.

Of late I have been using a CNC cutter designed for scrap booking to cut gaskets for my small engines. What material you can cut depends on the cutter you have.

I am wondering if there is enough interest to start a free online library of gaskets that people could contribute to or download and cut. People could even design the gaskets and have another person cut them.

Tech stuff follows
Currently I am using SVG (scaled vector graphics) files which can be created with the free program inkscape. I take a picture of the old gasket or the matting surface and import it into inkscape. Even images of the gasket taken from the web can work if you scale them to the right size. I then outline the gasket and save the file as a SVG. I used a not-free program "Make the Cut" to cut the SVG on a cricut. I cut the gasket on card stock for test fitting. When it is right I cut using the gasket material.

Make the Cut list the following cutting machines.
No longer are compatible with Cricut™ (must have old version MTC can not longer sell or distribute due to law suite)
Works with the new KNK Zing! (Shipping now!)
Works with all Klic-N-Kut™ models
Works with the Pazzles Inspiration™
Works with BossKut Gazelle™
Works with Black Cat Cougar/Lynx™ series
Works with USCutter™ MH/LaserPoint series
Works with CraftWell's eCraft™
Works with Silhouette SD™ and Cameo™ including Print and Cut!
Supports HPGL machines with printer support (Craft ROBO™, Wishblade™, etc)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2013, 02:33:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts
Default Re: Gasket library for paper cutters?

I have never thought about using one of those. Tell me about your printer.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:14:50 PM
Registered

Tutorial on drawing with splines in inkscape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBENwo72SfE

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtractors View Post
I have never thought about using one of those. Tell me about your printer.
I am using a cricut which is quite possible the lightest duty cutter. Actually I have 2 of them. The first cuts a 6"x12" and the second is called the cricut expression up to 12"x24". The first was given to me by a lady who could no longer scrapbook due to arthritis.

The work is moved in and out of the cutter for one axis and has a head that moves across for the other. The knife is like a caster so it pivots when turning. This is plenty good for gaskets.

Carquest sells a gasket selection which I have tried it cuts all but one of the types in the sample. Once could use that too if you finished by cutting through the last bit with a hobby knife.

The gasket material is glued to a mat with spray adhesive.

The Make the Cut software allows one to set the speed and the number of passes the cutter makes. The pressure on the knife is set on the cutter. Cut a few circles to get the setting needed for the material you are cutting. I use what is called a deep cut blade intended for cork and similar. Have not tried sharpening them.

I can take some pictures of the process if there is interest.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3VO For This Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:04:39 PM
Registered

Hello from Midland Va
Today we were at a local GOING OUT OF BUSINESS sale for a MASSEY FERGUSON dealer. We purchased a cabinet with 15 (+) drawers filled with gaskets of all different types, sizes materials etc. Some (most) of
the slots for the gaskets only had on gasket, so if you were us, would
keep for our Museum, sell individually (each gasket had its manf number)
or sell as a lot?

Thanks Linda and Lewis
Midland Va
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20:16 AM
Registered

Just how many gaskets are there? Or if you stack them up how many feet of them do you have?

In any case the first step is to inventory the collection.

Given that it was a going out of business sale, and mostly only one of each, there is a high chance the collection is shy of popular gaskets. It may take a long time to move the rest.

I would offer it for sale as a lot here and on the tractor forums. With luck someone who deals in parts will be willing to add it to their inventory.

One the public service side of things it would be nice to get photos of the gaskets.

Howard